The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going on a crusade for lower league football to try an tweet to every journalist when they make a basic, lazy and ridiculous mistake that have been highlighted in this thread. Genuine mistakes will be allowed but f**k me its their job!

Start with the agencies reporting on the lower league games rather than the newspapers and websites themselves. It's unusual for a title to 'staff' a lower league game unless that writer has an interest in one of the clubs she's reporting on. Good luck.

I'm going on a crusade for lower league football to try an tweet to every journalist when they make a basic, lazy and ridiculous mistake that have been highlighted in this thread. Genuine mistakes will be allowed but f**k me its their job!

daily record now wants people to email in when they spot errors: readerseditor@dailyrecord.co.uk

I was planning on going after specific people, ie whoever has their name to an article. As long as someone posts a link on here I'll attempt to find and ridicule them on twitter. Starts this weekend. #TheApathyoftheSFL

That's a really catchy hashtag there. I like how you've filled it with 'articles' like 'the' in bold defiance of Twitter's character rules. Can I suggest some improvements for next time?

#JournalistsMakingMistakesWhenWritingAboutTheSFL

#TheresApathyAboutTheSFL #InNewspapers

#TweetingJournalistsSFLOnline

I'd assume for a mistake as glaring as that it's someone just putting the wrong pic in the wrong place when it's getting pieced together on whatever publishing software they use and not having anyone checking over it before publishing it rather than anyone actually mistaking Grant Munro for a human being. I'd direct my chagrin at the editor or proof reader.

I'd assume for a mistake as glaring as that it's someone just putting the wrong pic in the wrong place when it's getting pieced together on whatever publishing software they use and not having anyone checking over it before publishing it rather than anyone actually mistaking Grant Munro for a human being. I'd direct my chagrin at the editor or proof reader.

Nah, it's always the name in the byline that's completely responsible for what ends up in the paper. Even when the name in the byline doesn't exist (in fact especially when it doesn't exist.) So this Twitter campaign isn't a complete fucking fool's errand.

That's a really catchy hashtag there. I like how you've filled it with 'articles' like 'the' in bold defiance of Twitter's character rules. Can I suggest some improvements for next time?

#JournalistsMakingMistakesWhenWritingAboutTheSFL

#TheresApathyAboutTheSFL #InNewspapers

#TweetingJournalistsSFLOnline

What a fucking loser!

Heads up, this isn't twitter.

What a fucking loser!

Heads up, this isn't twitter.

So you've yet to decide on the one you'll settle on to ridicule agency writers/pen names on Twitter? I'd go with #hawhawahgotyooadullyinbigchap

This week the Daily Record gave Calvin Ayre a new name. They called him Clavin and compounded the mistake by using that name in a headline. The article then went on to refer to him as the Ayr United owner. A day later they correctly referred to his proper name and status (sponsor). Okay we all make mistakes but gaffes like this are happening all the time and these people are supposed to be professionals. Enthusiastic amateurs would do a far better job.

Some genuinely dreadful reporting on a nasty topic on the BBC here.

Strathclyde Police are investigating complaints that Rangers players Kyle Bartley and Maurice Edu were racially abused on Twitter.

"Disappointing that in 2012 things like this are still happening," said Bartley, who is on loan from Arsenal.

"Hopefully the police will take action. Thank you all for the support."

And Edu, responding to a tweet from United States international team-mate Jozy Altidore, added: "Sad day when that's what people are tweeting."

That to me suggests Jozy Altidore racially abused Maurice Edu, when in fact it was some lunatic Celtic fan.

The wee match reports (I use that term in the loosest possible sense) that BBC do for the SFL games are full of errors, I don't even know why they bother, it would be less insulting to just not have any report than have the pathetic effort they give.

Those reports aren't by the BBC - it's the Press Association who produce those gems. Your point still stands, though.

Andrew Barrowman headed the opener five minutes before half time.

But Smith's poor clearance gifted Jonny Tuffey a 54th-minute tap-in, substitute Shinnie fired Inverness into the lead three minutes into extra time and Greg Tansey drilled in their third.

That must have been one heck of a poor clearance! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16501189.stm

Archived