The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Livingston 1 - 2 Ayr

_57741128_scottishcup.jpgAyr United maintained their interest in two cup competitions by beating Ayr United in the Scottish Cup.

Andrew Geggan prodded home following Tam McManus's header to give the Scottish League Cup semi-finalists the lead on 39 minutes.

Livi levelled just before the break when Mark Fotheringham's corner was converted by the head of Mark McNulty.

But Ayr regained the lead seven minutes after the interval when Michael McGowan finished from close range.

So Ayr United knocked out Ayr United to stay in the cup. No mean feat. Step forward...BBC Sport!

The description of McGowan's goal implies that it was a tap-in. In truth he ran from almost the halfway line, beat players on the way then drove it home from a tight angle. The Ayr United beating Ayr United reference is typical of the BBC. They might have been pioneers in their day but if their website is anything to go by they have become an object of ridicule.

Wasn't in the papers, but on the BBC Sportscene last night. Steven Craig ran through on goal with his shirt number in obvious view, as well as other things like a lack of captain's armband, and being taller, slimmer and a different person. Commentary kept saying it was Brittain running through, then that he converted the penalty he had just won. There were seconds in between showing the foul and showing the penalty, and it is obvious to all.

Just lazy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16372060.stm

Today's Sunday Post refers to 2nd division Ayr knocking Livingston out of the cup.

Jings, crivvens! Is it still in really big typeface so their elderly readership can cope? I'm amazed it's still going, always a joke of a paper for football.

Sunday Post thinking it's 2013 already obviously. Chuckle chuckle,.

The Sunday Post could stand accused of a few things but you could hardly accuse them of being ahead of their time.

At the end of the report on the Airdrie Utd Dundee Utd game todays Sunday Herald gave the teams for Kilmarnock and Dundee

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Lolzers - that has to be my favourite from this round of the Cup.

County nit-picking:

Regarding No. 9, Steven Craig being pulled down (while entirely dissimilar Captain Richard Brittain is still in the same camera frame over to the left) and being called Richard Brittain, I was also slightly annoyed by BBC written reports referring to Vigurs' second goal as "a powerful shot" - completely under-reporting that this was actually a peach of a free kick, looping over into the far top corner of goal. Best free kick of the competition I would expect.

Fortunately I'm not remotely bitter.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Lolzers - that has to be my favourite from this round of the Cup.

County nit-picking:

Regarding No. 9, Steven Craig being pulled down (while entirely dissimilar Captain Richard Brittain is still in the same camera frame over to the left) and being called Richard Brittain, I was also slightly annoyed by BBC written reports referring to Vigurs' second goal as "a powerful shot" - completely under-reporting that this was actually a peach of a free kick, looping over into the far top corner of goal. Best free kick of the competition I would expect.

Fortunately I'm not remotely bitter.

The Brittain thing was just ridiculously stupid. It's hard to think of two players of the same race who look less alike than he and Craig.

As for the free-kick however, a decent effort, but the 'keeper should really have saved it.

The description of McGowan's goal implies that it was a tap-in. In truth he ran from almost the halfway line, beat players on the way then drove it home from a tight angle. The Ayr United beating Ayr United reference is typical of the BBC. They might have been pioneers in their day but if their website is anything to go by they have become an object of ridicule.

Sunday Mail has the caption "McGow's that... McGowan parties after winner" under a photo of Andy Geggan celebrating the first goal.

The Brittain thing was just ridiculously stupid. It's hard to think of two players of the same race who look less alike than he and Craig.

As for the free-kick however, a decent effort, but the 'keeper should really have saved it.

Glad you're getting on board but maybe guilty of a bit of hyperbole there.. wink.gif

Scott Boyd and Steven Craig?

Neil Lennon and Johan Mjallby?

I'm basically hoping gingers are considered part of the same race as our more "average" brethren!

Glad you're getting on board but maybe guilty of a bit of hyperbole there.. wink.gif

Scott Boyd and Steven Craig?

Neil Lennon and Johan Mjallby?

I'm basically hoping gingers are considered part of the same race as our more "average" brethren!

Yes, I used the device known as hyperbole. As you say, I am indeed completely guilty of so doing.

In future, I'll endeavour to keep all posts nice and literal for you. ;)

In today's Sun there is a report on our 1-0 win at Thistle in the Scottish Cup. At the top of it is a picture captioned "Late winner ... Danny Carmichael".

All pretty reasonable, except that the picture not only isn't Danny Carmichael, it's not even a Queen of the South player. In fact it's someone (I don't recognise him) quite clearly wearing a Ross County top!

Guest honestrae95

While the hot topic of Ayrs magnificant win at Lavvy. Was on the Lavvy website to watch the game and came across the Ayr team sheet.

Ayr United- Cuthbert, Tiffoney, J Robertson, Smith, Malone, Moffat, Trouton (McKernon), McGeggan, McGowan, McManus (Wardlaw), Roberts (R.Roberts)

UNUSED SUBS- Williams, Burke

:huh:

Didn't know that Ayr had signed no more than 4 new players. But there you go....

In today's Sun there is a report on our 1-0 win at Thistle in the Scottish Cup. At the top of it is a picture captioned "Late winner ... Danny Carmichael".

All pretty reasonable, except that the picture not only isn't Danny Carmichael, it's not even a Queen of the South player. In fact it's someone (I don't recognise him) quite clearly wearing a Ross County top!

It's Grant Munro.

It's Grant Munro.

I've got the paper in front of me just now.

It's Grant Munro heading a ball, most likely as a clearance. Carmichael's goal was a shot from about 15 yards into the far corner. And that's ignoring the small detail of them playing for completely different clubs laugh.gif

Honestly, what is the point in printing pictures that are so far wrong as to be utterly pointless to include?

I bet they both had the same shirt number and the photographer looked at the wrong side of the teamsheet when captioning it.

Archived