The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Not a mistake as such, but Scotland on Sunday's report of the Morton-Partick match was written by someone who clearly had one too many shandies at their Byres Road Christmas party. Such a bizarre interpretation of events that it was actually funny to read.

did they say morton lost?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason a football team that's defending is 'on the back foot'. Meanwhile, over in the world of cricket, a player who's on the back foot is - I am reliably informed - giving it his best with the bat.

This is wrong. As alluded to playing off the back foot would imply a more defensive approach at the crease, as the name would suggest. You can of course get attacking shots off the back foot but not for the purposes of this quotation.

I hope that media people are reading this topic. If it is their day job they have a responsibility to get it right. We have page after page about supposed professionals making derisory mistakes. They really should be reading this topic and taking it to heart. We all make mistakes but the Scottish media are getting it wrong on an industrial scale. The exception tends to be their coverage of the Old Firm. With their minute scrutiny of all things OF it would give them a better chance of getting it right.

This is wrong. As alluded to playing off the back foot would imply a more defensive approach at the crease, as the name would suggest. You can of course get attacking shots off the back foot but not for the purposes of this quotation.

I disagree.

Probably the most common defensive shot in cricket is this:

_40715414_for_defence_2.gif

You can play defensively on the back foot too but I don't think its so common...

did they say morton lost?

Apparently a Partick Thistle side who would be challenging for the title were it not for their poor start (pull the other one) dominated Morton from start to finish but for a spell when the plucky home side somehow managed to drag the Brazil 1970 reincarnates down to a level playing field. For a 'national' newspaper it was highly amusing to see the Cuddly Toy team get such favourable press again.

From the SFL website:

The Dark Blues sit 8 points behind Derek Adams’ side, who have a game in hand after Saturday’s trip to Ayr was cancelled after Somerset Park took a battering from the wind last week, and an exciting 2012 could be in store if Barry Smith’s men gain a physiological advantage by winning at Dingwall.

Sigh.

The Misrecord today said that Criag Winter will play his 600th Career game for Shire against Stranraer tomorrow, fine apart from they played Stranraer last week and it is infact us they are playing :blink::oops

Can I just be the first person on here to congratulate Dundee on their promotion to the SPL. Surely the first team to have achieved this feat half way through the season.

No? Of course not!

Only, Celtic are advertising tickets for their match against Dundee Utd on Clyde 1, only they have omitted the "Utd" part of their name. Disgraceful stuff. Even worse than the routine errors from our country's "journalists".

Can I just be the first person on here to congratulate Dundee on their promotion to the SPL. Surely the first team to have achieved this feat half way through the season.

No? Of course not!

Only, Celtic are advertising tickets for their match against Dundee Utd on Clyde 1, only they have omitted the "Utd" part of their name. Disgraceful stuff. Even worse than the routine errors from our country's "journalists".

Link?

If thats true then its pretty fucking disrespectful.

From BBC

Clyde came into the game looking for a repeat performance of their 7-1 win in the reverse fixture in October, but fell behind moments before half-time to a Kevin Turner close-range finish after good work from Bradley Coyne.

The visitors drew level almost immediately when Paul Hay's 25-yard effort rattled the crossbar before John Neill also spurned a good opportunity, shooting wide when well-placed.

Not only inacurate but impossible as well! :rolleyes:

Morton described as promotion chasing by the Record :lol: :lol:

Archived