The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really struggling on a paper to choose, especially on a Sunday. I used to get the herald but your lucky to get one Sfl match report usually. SOS is slightly better.

Times has good English coverage. Lacks lower league Scottish but is better than the telegraph which had scores only in the results pages.

Any suggestions before I plump for the Sunday Snail?

To be fair, it's only really the Sunday Mail that does 'full' match reports on all the SFL games. News of the World done similar before their demise.

The Daily Record today, in their player ratings from the Scotland U-21 game from last night, said that Ross Perry was now benefiting from getting a regular game at Falkirk.

He's been away from us since last season.

I really should have guessed it would be Gordon Parks who did the ratings. The man is a fucking imbecile, the worst journo by a mile in Scotland and that's a helluva field.

Similarly there's two different spellings of Weatherson in today's Sunday Mail report - both of them wrong.

It's hardly the best of days for the Sunday Mail though. They are clueless about anything outside the SPL. Or maybe they are just plain clueless. I was disappointed that Ayr United v Partick Thistle was off next Saturday. But fear not. According to the Sunday Mail that game is on next Saturday. What about Partick Thistle v Culter that day? No mention of it. Come to think of it they have not listed Montrose v Ayr United in Tuesday's fixtures either. Not to worry. I bought the Mail On Sunday too. That's a posh paper so there should be some sanity in there. Afraid not. The same shameful hat-trick is replicated there. It is a travesty that people get paid to compile such junk.

BBC's cup draw article:

"The other surviving Junior side, Culter, who were reinstated into the competition after East Stirlingshire played an ineligible player, will host Queen of the South should they win their replay away to another First Division outfit, Partick Thistle."

Herp derp.

The Record was top notch today Euan McArthur says Gayfield is "crumbling" and even Arbroath players hate it. It transpires later in the article that Brian Kerr was actually talking about the weather. The accompanying picture shows Gayfield to be immaculate. It also doesn't mention that Arbroath spent a lot of money a recently upgrading the stand.

In his bit about Peterhead their Chairman is "licking his licks"......that's what I call excited.

Tony Haggerty has an article about "long time advocate" of SPL expansion Steven Pressley. Depends what you call a long time Tony. I seem to remember Steven changing his mind like the weather on the subject. His latest "advocacy" doesn't go back more than a year.

The Record was top notch today Euan McArthur says Gayfield is "crumbling" and even Arbroath players hate it. It transpires later in the article that Brian Kerr was actually talking about the weather. The accompanying picture shows Gayfield to be immaculate. It also doesn't mention that Arbroath spent a lot of money a recently upgrading the stand.

Widespread assumptions are made about grounds in the lower leagues. The media would have you believe that Ayr United's success against SPL clubs is largely down to the tight pitch at Somerset Park. Tight? The pitch dimensions at Somerset are identical to the pitch dimensions at Tannadice and Pittodrie. Also, the pitch at Ayr is two yards longer than Tynecastle. Maybe Auchinleck Talbot should be complaining about Hearts having a tight pitch. However I like adverse comments about Somerset Park because they can induce a fear factor in SPL clubs. Before our cup replay against Hibs last season Colin Calderwood was talking as if he was taking his team to play in Barcelona. The expression "crumbling" in relation to Gayfield is awful not only because it is untrue. It is especially awful because it is a cliche. Why can't journalists be more original and apply some thought to the story they are writing?

Thought I'd bump this with a couple of good efforts previewing the Pars V Aberdeen match today.

Was in the barbers this morning so read the previews in the Record and the Sun while waiting, featuring an interview with Nick Phinn. The Sun comments on the imminent return of "the Dunfermline winger". He's never been a winger in his life. He's a central midfielder.

The Record then declare Phinn as a "23 year old Irishman". He was born in Glasgow.

Archived