The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dundee won to move off the foot of the First Division table and consign opponents Ayr United to the bottom spot.

Stephen O'Donnell crossed for Rhys Weston to head the visitors in front on 16 minutes.

Weston was then bundled over ion the penalty area but Ayr keeper Kevin Cuthbert was saved by Matthew Lockwood.

But the lead was doubled on 71 minutes when Leighton Mcintosh finished well from Nicholas Riley's pass.

Ayr's Mark Roberts converted his spot-kick after Lockwood's foul on Michael Moffat but Steven Milne restored Dundee's two-goal lead.

Matt Lockwood is the Messiah!!!

Dundee fans have known this for a long time. The BBC have now confirmed this.

As posted on The SPL Trophy thread. The picture used to illustrate the story about Rangers SPL medals being impounded.

I'm glad they never sent anyone from The Sun or Record to impound the medals as the might have come back with a box of buttons.

The medal featured is clearly an old SFL Championship medal, not an SPL on, which is the size of a plate. The other clue is what's actually written on it.

They are also mistaken about incurring penalties in addition to 10 points for entering administration. Any further penalty will be for not getting out of administration by a certain time. Or against any new club following full liquidation. If they go into admin and Whyte can get an agreement to pay X pence in the pound they exit admin without further sanction.

Saw this link in the Hearts merged thread; http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3911799/Hearts-tell-big-earners-to-quit.html#ixzz1cb7qIYrf

"David Templeton has already been offered to Rangers for a cut-price £500,000 fee."

Which, given how fucked Rangers are, is so obviously bullshit that I think it merits a place in here. It's clearly just tacked on to give it some minor relevance to the Old Firm somehow to appease the knuckle-draggers who read that rag.

Our good friend Chick Young, on the candidates for next Berwick manager, has this to say about Ian McCall:

Ian McCall played for a clutch of clubs before moving in to management with Morton in 1997.

This despite the fact he didn't manage Morton until 2000 and was Clydebank manager from 1997 until then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15645432.stm

John Traynor, the less talented journo of the family, came out with this pearler in the Morton vs Dundee match report today...

"Neil McGregor got caught out at (Dundee's) second goal"

...that's all very well and good until you realise that he plays for, erm, Dundee.

Predictions in todays rag

Div 1 Dundee

Div 2 Peterhead......Now I know they've spent a bit of cash, but do you really think they can win the division above the one they are in?

Anyway, thank you. That's the kind of journalism that sets me up for the day ie frothing at the mouth in rage at the stupidity of the world and everybody in it.

...and Gavin, you should know who your pals are now as no-one told you and let you publish that.

Quite apart from some dodgy journalism, the forecasts in the original post are beginning to look ill-advised. I believe that Dundee will climb but not far enough to win the league. As for Peterhead, he would have been way wrong even if he'd meant Division Three.

The Daily Record today, in their player ratings from the Scotland U-21 game from last night, said that Ross Perry was now benefiting from getting a regular game at Falkirk.

He's been away from us since last season.

The Daily Record today, in their player ratings from the Scotland U-21 game from last night, said that Ross Perry was now benefiting from getting a regular game at Falkirk.

He's been away from us since last season.

Haven't read the actual content but might they just have meant he's become a better player for having had regular football at Falkirk last season? :unsure:

Haven't read the actual content but might they just have meant he's become a better player for having had regular football at Falkirk last season? :unsure:

No, the exact wording was that he was now benefitting from getting a regular game at Falkirk.

Quite apart from some dodgy journalism, the forecasts in the original post are beginning to look ill-advised. I believe that Dundee will climb but not far enough to win the league. As for Peterhead, he would have been way wrong even if he'd meant Division Three.

Imo Dundee wont win the league, Livi wont win the league, Dundee wont finish above Livi, so the highest Dundee will finish is 3rd and i doubt Livi will finish 2nd so we're talking about mid table 5th or 6th anyway.

David O'Brien scored our opener - and scored in three of our last four games - not David O'Brian. I mean FFS, the second doesn't even look right, does no-one proof read any more?

Similarly there's two different spellings of Weatherson in today's Sunday Mail report - both of them wrong.

I'm really struggling on a paper to choose, especially on a Sunday. I used to get the herald but your lucky to get one Sfl match report usually. SOS is slightly better.

Times has good English coverage. Lacks lower league Scottish but is better than the telegraph which had scores only in the results pages.

Any suggestions before I plump for the Sunday Snail?

Guest The Phoenix

I'm really struggling on a paper to choose, especially on a Sunday. I used to get the herald but your lucky to get one Sfl match report usually. SOS is slightly better.

Times has good English coverage. Lacks lower league Scottish but is better than the telegraph which had scores only in the results pages.

Any suggestions before I plump for the Sunday Snail?

I believe the Culter Courier is a great read. ;)

Archived