The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Gavin Berry appears to have made the old mistake of not properly understanding Lanarkshire geography.

He has said Paul McGowan of St Mirren is a Bellshill boy. Yes Gavin, Paul probably was born in Bellshill Maternity Hospital, as were most of the population for the 30 odd years it was open. However he lived/lives and went to school etc in Airdrie.

Apparently an English paper sent a reporter to Bellshill years ago to find out the towns secret in churning out so many footballers. I thought Gavin and his colleagues at The Record might have heard that story.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gavin Berry appears to have made the old mistake of not properly understanding Lanarkshire geography.

He has said Paul McGowan of St Mirren is a Bellshill boy. Yes Gavin, Paul probably was born in Bellshill Maternity Hospital, as were most of the population for the 30 odd years it was open. However he lived/lives and went to school etc in Airdrie.

Apparently an English paper sent a reporter to Bellshill years ago to find out the towns secret in churning out so many footballers. I thought Gavin and his colleagues at The Record might have heard that story.

It's a bit like that with Ayrshire. The maternity hospital was in Irvine and there are thousands of people who were born there but have never lived in or near the town.

It's a bit like that with Ayrshire. The maternity hospital was in Irvine and there are thousands of people who were born there but have never lived in or near the town.

That's why Dundee is the teen pregnancy capital of Scotland, cos lassies for miles around use Ninewells.

It used to be the "AIDS Death Capital" too, mainly because there was a hospital (Kings Cross) that was dedicated to treating AIDS patients in their last weeks & days.

According to the BBC, we had the best of the opening stages on Saturday in all honesty I remember us being camped out in our box for the first ten minutes.

I suppose they just looked at the score afterwards and decided since we were at home we probably had early control.

(Can't remember which commentator it was at Somerset on Wednesday night) but he also said to Reid that he thought we had Morton on Saturday.....nice to see their still doing their homework at least.

According to the BBC, we had the best of the opening stages on Saturday in all honesty I remember us being camped out in our box for the first ten minutes.

I suppose they just looked at the score afterwards and decided since we were at home we probably had early control.

Sandra Broon covered it for the BBC. Say no more... dry.gif

According to the BBC website Morton have a 38 man squad. I particularly like the sound of James Grady, Bryan Hodge and Stewart McCarthy. We should give them a run-out sometime.

B Trialist sounds like sum playa in the making. We'll need to nurture him well.

We had his brother,A Trialist, he was rank rotten.

Sandra Broon covered it for the BBC. Say no more... dry.gif

she is simply the worst

for an "unbaised"(apparently) bbc reporter, its amazing that the only games she ever makes out to be decent are the ones queens are winning

by far the worst of a bad bunch on the calamity that is open all mics (still rather listen to that than radio coverage of one game)

she is simply the worst

for an "unbaised"(apparently) bbc reporter, its amazing that the only games she ever makes out to be decent are the ones queens are winning

by far the worst of a bad bunch on the calamity that is open all mics (still rather listen to that than radio coverage of one game)

I don't think anyone on the show claims that she is ''unbiased''. In fact, they regularly rip the pish out of her for her reaction to anything that goes in Queens' favour in any given game. Same goes for Chick Young with Rangers St Mirren.

she is simply the worst

I don't really see the problem. Sandra is a Queens fan and makes no pretence otherwise. She goes to Queens games and, up to about two years ago had missed only one in 20 odd years. Her employers decided to make use of her being at games anyway and so she covers games for them that generally otherwise wouldn't have a reporter at them. Better some coverage than none. If the game is of genuine importance they still tend to send one of the "bigger guns" to it. Since she started doing it she's actually occasionally been sent to non-Queens games which is why she's missed the odd handful of our games in the last couple of seasons.

If she expresses a passion when Queens score or some depression when we lose one what's wrong with that? No-one ever suggested she wasn't a Queens fan. Billy Dodds also occasionally did BBC work at our games whilst being a coach at Palmerston.

I don't think anyone on the show claims that she is ''unbiased''. In fact, they regularly rip the pish out of her for her reaction to anything that goes in Queens' favour in any given game. Same goes for Chick Young with Rangers St Mirren.

In principle they do actually, as one of the founding values of the bbc is that its reporting is unbiased.

In principle they do actually, as one of the founding values of the bbc is that its reporting is unbiased.

I hardly think the foundations of one of the greatest media organisations the world has ever known will be rocked to its core if the QOTS supporting Sandra reports on a SFL game v Dundee.

I hardly think the foundations of one of the greatest media organisations the world has ever known will be rocked to its core if the QOTS supporting Sandra reports on a SFL game v Dundee.

shes trying to bring down everything the bbc have stood for ph34r.gif

Today's Record (online)...

Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels in 'ugly boy' jibe at Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot

Sep 28 2011 By Colin Duncan

KILMARNOCK boss Kenny Shiels launched an astonishing attack on Kirk Broadfoot last night after the Rangers defender was involved in a tunnel bust-up with Manuel Pascali at the end of the Ibrox team's 2-0 victory.

Substitute Broadfoot and Killie skipper Pascali were yellow carded by referee Willie Collum in an incident described by Gers boss Ally McCoist as "handbags" with Shiels agreeing - but only after slaughtering Broadfoot in a radio interview.

He said: "It was the ugly boy from Rangers - the male model from Ayrshire. I think his mascara was running. Pasquale only responded like a captain would do."

I don't really see the problem. Sandra is a Queens fan and makes no pretence otherwise. She goes to Queens games and, up to about two years ago had missed only one in 20 odd years. Her employers decided to make use of her being at games anyway and so she covers games for them that generally otherwise wouldn't have a reporter at them. Better some coverage than none. If the game is of genuine importance they still tend to send one of the "bigger guns" to it. Since she started doing it she's actually occasionally been sent to non-Queens games which is why she's missed the odd handful of our games in the last couple of seasons.

If she expresses a passion when Queens score or some depression when we lose one what's wrong with that? No-one ever suggested she wasn't a Queens fan. Billy Dodds also occasionally did BBC work at our games whilst being a coach at Palmerston.

I think the problem is that it is bad enough to hear your team has lost a goal but it's even worse when the news is brought to you by a screaming banshee, to be honest I find her irritating whether she is reporting on my team her not, her voice grates.

Knew I shouldn't have booked those flights to Spain!

Defending champions Spain have already won Group I. With two matches remaining, the Czech Republic are favourites to take second, but they host Spain in their away match. A defeat for the Czechs against the Spanish could open the door to Scotland, for whom victory in Liechtenstein would tee up a final round where, in a match at home to the reigning European and World champions, they'd need to equal or better the Czech score away in Lithuania.

From the BBC Football website. Link

Knew I shouldn't have booked those flights to Spain!

Defending champions Spain have already won Group I. With two matches remaining, the Czech Republic are favourites to take second, but they host Spain in their away match. A defeat for the Czechs against the Spanish could open the door to Scotland, for whom victory in Liechtenstein would tee up a final round where, in a match at home to the reigning European and World champions, they'd need to equal or better the Czech score away in Lithuania.

From the BBC Football website. Link

Ooft! The underlined is a particular car crash of a sentence.

Another from Auntie Beeb, who appear to have misplelt the name of thier own reporter. I'm sure its Brian McLaughlin not McLauchlin...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15097993.stm

Archived