The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

There is nothing strange about this. I do the same most of the time. I bring my own bags with me to the supermarket and pack them a certain way, to make unpacking them easier when I get home. I can also fit two 12*can boxes of sparkling water into the one bag, which most people at the supermarket seem unable to do.

Without wanting to be horrible, bag-packing is, where I live (USA) often a job given to people with learning difficulties, and while these people are almost always very fast, very eager, and very pleasant, they very often don't do a good job of it, and end up half-filling my own bags, then giving me a whole ream of plastic bags with two items in each one, all of which I need to dispose of when I get home. For this reason I generally bag myself.

In conclusion: Richard Gordon - good guy.

I interpreted him as meaning "it was quite strange to hear Richard Gordon say something like that", because we're all so used to hear him on the radio talking about football.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without wanting to be horrible, bag-packing is, where I live (USA) often a job given to people with learning difficulties...

And ex-cons. That's what Morgan Freeman did when he finally got paroled from Shawshank, mind? He was so institooshunalized that he ASKED if he could go for a pish! Bet he didn't wash his hands either. Imagine him touching your spuds.

If it's a choice between a pishy-handed criminal or somebody who thinks "potato" is the number after four, I'd pack my own shit too. Good on you, Swampy. Keepin' it real in the US of A.

More great work from the BBC for today's game:

Fair enough getting young Scougall's name wrong, as the Livi announcer has done so a couple of times now, but I never knew that the 6 yard box had been moved back a further 6 yards. :lol:

Are you for real? That's not the biggest mistake in the report. The fact McDonald scored from 'the edge of the box' is far more impressive, especially when you consider it was actually a goal he scored directly from a corner.

I interpreted him as meaning "it was quite strange to hear Richard Gordon say something like that", because we're all so used to hear him on the radio talking about football.

Correct. It was the context that was 'strange', although obviously totally normal - radio presenters have to get their messages like everyone else. I fully understand why people would want to pack their own groceries. I tend to find that your average checkout worker is rather haphazard in their approach to bag packing. Stick to scanning. Best for everyone.

And ex-cons. That's what Morgan Freeman did when he finally got paroled from Shawshank, mind? He was so institooshunalized that he ASKED if he could go for a pish! Bet he didn't wash his hands either. Imagine him touching your spuds.

If it's a choice between a pishy-handed criminal or somebody who thinks "potato" is the number after four, I'd pack my own shit too. Good on you, Swampy. Keepin' it real in the US of A.

I actually allowed a young man called Eusebio to pack my snacks yesterday. Was he an ex-con? I don't know, but he had a lot of tattoos.

Correct. It was the context that was 'strange', although obviously totally normal - radio presenters have to get their messages like everyone else.

Chic Young doesn't. He hunts pre-pubescent children with an antique whaling harpoon and feasts on their organs. A'body in the media kens about it. Naebody says a word.

Quite shocking actually.

After another week of fixtures, I'm sure there will be a new supply of horrendous journalistic features...

A very simple one, but the match report on our official site claims Sinclair handballed to give away the penalty for County's first goal whilst the BBC claims it was Tommy Stewart.

Sinclair

aaron_sinclair_2011.jpg

Stewart

tommy_stewart_2011.jpg

The Daily Record reported that Killie's Polish stopper Zdenek Kroca scored the winner on Saturday. He's from that famous region of Poland known as the Czech Republic.

Hey, at least Poland exists. It took some dobber on BBC Scotland two minutes to refer to our game later that day with Czechoslovakia on the radio. What fucking year is this? I'm sure he's also looking forward to meeting Yugoslavia six times in the next qualifying campaign.

Hey, at least Poland exists. It took some dobber on BBC Scotland two minutes to refer to our game later that day with Czechoslovakia on the radio. What fucking year is this? I'm sure he's also looking forward to meeting Yugoslavia six times in the next qualifying campaign.

I reckon the clashes against the Spanish Netherlands will be the highlight.

laugh.gif

In Euro 2008, I think it was David Pleat that in the first half of one of their matches kept calling them Czechoslovakia, but someone must have attempted to correct him at half time. The entire second half he was calling them the Republic of Czechoslovakia.

Having just checked my facts, it seems someone else noticed.

Came across this little gem on BBC Sportscene.

"FULL TIME: SC1: Queen of the South 4-1 Morton

Queen of the South scored four times in the first half to stun Morton and earn their FIRST league victory of the season. Kevin Smith's hat-trick and Tom Brighton's header sealed the win."

Obviously our win against Hamilton last week hasn't filtered through to them. The lazyness of the journalism in this country is truly astounding.

SFL website -

Farid El Alagui's 86th-minute header earned Falkirk a 2-1 home victory over Dundee, as Eddie May's men stretched their unbeaten run to eight games in all competitions to move up to third in the Irn-Bru Scottish First Division.

Archived