The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Here we go again with that easiest of targets the BBC. Albion Rovers 1 Ayr United 3 - it is now the early hours of Sunday morning and they are still crediting Jordan Preston with a hat-trick despite Ryan Stevenson scoring the second goal. Personally I'm not all that bothered who scores for Ayr United but I am sick and tired of a supposed media pioneer getting away with consistent bilge.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again with that easiest of targets the BBC. Albion Rovers 1 Ayr United 3 - it is now the early hours of Sunday morning and they are still crediting Jordan Preston with a hat-trick despite Ryan Stevenson scoring the second goal. Personally I'm not all that bothered who scores for Ayr United but I am sick and tired of a supposed media pioneer getting away with consistent bilge.

To be fair that's the Press Association who will be reporting that. The BBC will just use their match report.

To be fair that's the Press Association who will be reporting that. The BBC will just use their match report.

The problem is that the BBC have been accepting guff from the Press Association for years and they don't seem to bother.

The problem is that the BBC have been accepting guff from the Press Association for years and they don't seem to bother.

That's because they don't really care. Proper match reports, with interviews and the like are for the newspapers, the BBC simply can't justify the cost of sending someone to every ground in Scotland to write a proper feature report. It's pretty much the same down south, but they all get a new picture and sometimes an audio interview courtesy of BBC local radio - which we don't have up here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35330949

Ah, so no one in Scotland watches Eastenders, Downton Abbey, Top Gear or the like?

Exactly (other than including Downton anyway). Whether the base facts in it are true (and the chances are given the source that they are not) it presumes that none of the budget spent elsewhere is for nationally available programming that Scots watch. News, Breakfast tv, quiz shows, childrens tv, etc.

Ludicrously and quite deliberately misleading nonsense.

There is an argument of course that the BBC should put more into Scottish football. I'd imagine there's an even better argument though that they should put more into Welsh and Northern Irish football and that relative to them we're positively skewed.

There is an argument of course that the BBC should put more into Scottish football. I'd imagine there's an even better argument though that they should put more into Welsh and Northern Irish football and that relative to them we're positively skewed.

Given that Scottish football is streets ahead of football in the failed statelet, never mind the leftover pub league in Wales, there really isn't.

Just more craven deflection away from the chronically piss-poor service provided by BBC Scotland for the national game.

Given that Scottish football is streets ahead of football in the failed statelet, never mind the leftover pub league in Wales, there really isn't.

Just more craven deflection away from the chronically piss-poor service provided by BBC Scotland for the national game.

And English football is streets ahead of Scottish football. So what exactly is your point?

It's really, really not streets ahead.

I'd like to see how much is spent and how they justify it.

And English football is streets ahead of Scottish football. So what exactly is your point?

You assumed that there was "an even better argument" for better funded coverage of Norn Irish and Welsh football than Scottish football - indeed, this was your supposed starting assumption. I've yet to see any evidence for this claim; rather, it is a ludicrous line. It's only rolled out by:

1) people who deliberately play down the commercial and footballing strength of the Scottish game - the 'laughing stock of Europe' brigade and 2) people who are desperate to shout down any criticism of a UK-wide broadcaster whose coverage of the national game in Scotland is by any objective view amateurish and piss-poor in terms of content.

Then we get onto the issue of funding the Scottish game. While I don't think that the amount of money given to Scottish football should automatically be compared to English football, it remains a far more credible starting point in the discussion than comparing the SPFL to the League of Wales.

It's really, really not streets ahead.

I'd like to see how much is spent and how they justify it.

http://welsh-premier.com/index.php/match/fixtures-results/wpl-attendances

It really, really is. The League of Wales will have a far lower average attendance than the seaside league in Scotland this season. Indeed the median figure from the figures above - around 300 - would have the Derek Fergusons of the Scottish game gnashing their teeth and calling for the entire league system to just shut up shop. One match breaking four figures in attendance to date, which was also a massive outlier. Its lowest attendance of the season to date: 106. And that's not an extreme outlier.

So what we're dealing with there is a league system that doesn't actually have a credible audience at the games, is a distant second place within football coverage in its own country and is also well behind other sports with a genuine popular following in that country, such as egg-chasing. The plight of the League of Wales is not even remotely comparable to the SPFL and there is no similar case for investment by a public service broadcaster in their setup. If BBC Wales wished to support Welsh football, which it absolutely should, then securing the rights to coverage and highlights of their league clubs in England would be the smarter bet.

Archived