Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

Today I have listened to The Infamous by Mobb Deep and Liquid Swords by GZA.

I don't listen to much hip-hop these days and had not listened to these albums for years, but it was good to revisit them.

I have some others queued up - Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, 36 Chambers. Other suggestions are welcome.

Not a big hip hop fan, but have dabbled through the years and recently been listening to a lot on my lunchtime walks, as I try to shift two years of WFH weight. 

A few diverse observations/queries, if you'll humour me for a minute:

• I can't listen to modern hip hop. No melody, no flow, shite lyrics. Possible exception being Denzel Curry, who I only discovered two days ago, but who seems to have a bit more nous than his peers. 
  • My appreciation for the different members of Wu Tang Clan has ebbed and flowed over the years, but at the moment I can't stop listening to Raekwon. Think he's maybe more rounded than the others. Willing to be proven wrong. 
  • Mos Def. Waste of space. Can't stand his voice. Can't stand his overblown sense of sincerity and accompanying lack of irony. Can't stand his attempts to shoehorn complicated words into songs, and taking liberties with their meaning as a result. His pal Talib Kweli does the same thing, but I prefer his sound in general. 
  • In other genres of music, the shite seems to float to the top (Justin Bieber in pop, Nickelback in rock, etc). In hip hop, things seem to be different - in my opinion, of course, and with the caveat that I'm a relative newcomer to the genre. The 'godfathers' of hip hop (people like Biggie, Nas, Tupac, Dre) are, in my opinion, the most technically adept. In terms of production quality, melody, lyrics etc. There aren't many albums I've listened to as often as Illmatic. I find something new every time I listen, like rewatching The Sopranos. 

Anyway, that's a garbled aggregation of my thoughts over the last few weeks. 

16 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Today I have listened to The Infamous by Mobb Deep and Liquid Swords by GZA.

I don't listen to much hip-hop these days and had not listened to these albums for years, but it was good to revisit them.

I have some others queued up - Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, 36 Chambers. Other suggestions are welcome.

Not sure if it's your thing Richey, but if (like me) you're not an orthodox hip hop fan and are open to crossover genres, the new Danger Mouse album is worth a listen (it's a collaboration with Black Thought from The Roots). 

5 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Not sure if it's your thing Richey, but if (like me) you're not an orthodox hip hop fan and are open to crossover genres, the new Danger Mouse album is worth a listen (it's a collaboration with Black Thought from The Roots). 

I haven't heard of that, I'll check it out. I've heard of Danger Mouse and Black Thought, but didn't know they had done an album together.

I enjoy a lot of different artists and genres of music, so it sounds like something that could be interesting. Cheers.

On 26/08/2022 at 11:03, Richey Edwards said:

I haven't heard of that, I'll check it out. I've heard of Danger Mouse and Black Thought, but didn't know they had done an album together.

I enjoy a lot of different artists and genres of music, so it sounds like something that could be interesting. Cheers.

I bought it last week on the strength of it having rave reviews everywhere it went but I haven't had it on yet. I'm sure you'll have heard it, but his collab LP with DOOM was an absolute belter, so I'm figuring this should be good too. 

Edited by carpetmonster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 29/08/2022 at 13:45, Richey Edwards said:

Finished listening to the Danger Mouse and Black Thought album. It is very good, I enjoyed that a lot. Cheers for the recommendation @The Other Foot

New Black Thought album just out -  ‘Glorious Game’.  Probably just about beats his collab with Danger Mouse IMO.  Great stuff!

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2023 at 20:48, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Oh yes please.

IMG-20230608-WA0018.jpg

Pros: Ice Cube, Cypress Hill

Cons: The Game, Tuesday night, many thousands of annoying wee stoned neds.

Still tempted mind you...

Edited by cb_diamond

21 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Anyway, here's three of the finest quick flow rappers ever in one neat package. I love this.

Seen RA live a few times. Always a great time. 

21 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

His flow is absolutely unreal, total 3rd lung stuff. The production on his own stuff is quite hit or miss for me.

One of my faves. Don't think there's any songs I dislike by him. 

The Crustified Dibbs album has awful album production tbf. 

Edited by Girth

1 hour ago, Girth said:

One of my faves. Don't think there's any songs I dislike by him. 

The Crustified Dibbs album has album production tbf. 

He could rap the phone book over a basic 4/4 and it would be awesome. There's a few though where the production of the track detracts from the song, uncommon valor being the most prominent example.