Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

On 17/10/2018 at 09:18, Nizzy said:

Alright Nizzy will give that a listen later, find Adrian Younge productions a bit hit or miss though. 

Been getting into Southern stuff a lot lately, you listen to much of it? Things like UGK (RIP Pimp C), Geto Boys/Scarface, Goodie Mob, early Outkast, Devin the Dude, Starlito are the better known ones there's plenty more though, been loving it tbh. 

5 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Alright Nizzy will give that a listen later, find Adrian Younge productions a bit hit or miss though. 

Been getting into Southern stuff a lot lately, you listen to much of it? Things like UGK (RIP Pimp C), Geto Boys/Scarface, Goodie Mob, early Outkast, Devin the Dude, Starlito are the better known ones there's plenty more though, been loving it tbh. 

If I had the money to throw a massive party with my own choice of line-up, The Geto Boys would be close to the top of that list. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of Bristol's finest, Datkid, has just released his latest solo album Confessions of a Crud Lord. Not many UK artists albums will feature collabs with the likes of Conway the Machine, Roc Marciano and Westside Gunn but him and Leaf Dog have pulled it off.  Some incredible tracks on here with some of the production  sounding very early Wu-Tang-esque. I haven't looked through the track listings but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see RZA being responsible for some of the tunes, but unlikely. 

@HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows and @Boostin' Kev. Definitely a little bit of something for you boys on it.

Edited by Dee Man
GZA to RZA FFS

55 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

One of Bristol's finest, Datkid, has just released his latest solo album Confessions of a Crud Lord. Not many UK artists albums will feature collabs with the likes of Conway the Machine, Roc Marciano and Westside Gunn but him and Leaf Dog have pulled it off.  Some incredible tracks on here with some of the production  sounding very early Wu-Tang-esque. I haven't looked through the track listings but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see GZA being responsible for some of the tunes, but unlikely. 

@HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows and @Boostin' Kev. Definitely a little bit of something for you boys on it.

Quality.  High Focus are absoulty slaying it just now, like Lowlife were way back when.  Love Leaf Dogs voice and flow.

14 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Quality.  High Focus are absoulty slaying it just now, like Lowlife were way back when.  Love Leaf Dogs voice and flow.

High Focus are having an all day block party in Bristol in July. I'd be straight down there if I was in the UK then. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2018 at 04:15, Dee Man said:

If I had the money to throw a massive party with my own choice of line-up, The Geto Boys would be close to the top of that list. 

Well this definitely isn't happening. 

Scarface has announced on Instagram that Bushwick Bill has died. I just read an article on them two weeks ago which said he had pancreatic cancer. 

Anyone recommend some good albums of a more alternative nature?

Not bothered about what era, but I really love jazz or electro infused stuff. Getting into ATCQ got me into that, and I've always liked De La for that too.

Electro sounding hip hop seems a lot more modern, but I really like a lot of Tyler, The Creators stuff, and I've only just listened to some of Mac Miller's stuff the last few days and I'm impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone recommend some good albums of a more alternative nature?
Not bothered about what era, but I really love jazz or electro infused stuff. Getting into ATCQ got me into that, and I've always liked De La for that too.
Electro sounding hip hop seems a lot more modern, but I really like a lot of Tyler, The Creators stuff, and I've only just listened to some of Mac Miller's stuff the last few days and I'm impressed.

Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
Canibus - Rip The Jacker
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Cage - Movies For The Blind
Uratsakidogi - Black Hop