Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

I've tried making this post about 5 times now, my browser is going weird. I'm an old school fan of hip hop, I grew up in the halcyon years when it developed on a near monthly basis and you got about 15 killer albums a year. For me when the more R&B fusion and bitches and bling orientated stuff came in the mid 90's saw it fall off dramatically.

There's still some good acts out there keeping it real through.

Edited by Big Gus

"new" hip hop is gash barring a few acts

Its diluted for sure, but cream still rises.

At the moment im quite into independent/free hip hop, which has a few benefits, the main one being that they dont need to clear samples, so it feels more authentic (rather than most new rap just using original music rather than jacked beats).

When I was a teenager I had a total hardon for Public Enemy. The fact they were reaching middle class teenagers in Scotland probably pleased them no end. Amazingly consistent act and The Bomb Squad are at the pinacle of a hip hop production team.

Dr Dre before he went Cock Deisel with his more commerical stuff.

I was and still am big on all the stuff the Soul Assassins did from Cypress Hill to their other lesser known acts.

The House Of Pain still rate as one of my favourites and their remixes are always brilliant. Check out Beastie Boys So Watcha Want? to avoid me spamming more vids.

I always have trouble differentiating between Hip Hop and Rap, is there a difference?

People that I listen to who I reckon might fall into this thread would be Cypress Hill(first two albums especially), Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, House of Pain(first album), NWA, Dre and Ice T(more Body Count tbh)

If I'm wrong and they shouldn't be here then I apologize.

Some of my favourites from my favourite era's. First one is The Black Eyed Peas before they moved to the world of ElectroPop.

Black Sheep - The Choice Is Yours