Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

Annoyed I missed Meth and Red. I was meant to be going on a pub crawl in Oban but had to cancel at the last minute, and completely forgot they were playing. Now can't afford to go see Ghostface tomorrow so that's a kick in the balls. And also can't go see Public Enemy. Woe is me.

Method Man said he's bringing the full Clan next time he comes to Glasgow. Don't know if he was just playing to the crowd but that's what he said.

Sorry to kick a man when he's down Smurph, but that was one of the best gigs I've been to. The full place was bouncing for the entire show. My thighs are still gowping.

Ghostface was pretty disappointing to be honest, I'd seen him twice before and both times it was amazing but the sound in the Arches was duff.

Enjoyed the gig but wasn't anything exceptional. 6/10 for me.

Got this on 12". Top tunage.

Met Blade at the Glasgow Art School a few years ago. Top, top guy. Hip hop'd out his nut.

Yeah, got it also along with a few UK gems like Hijack and Hardnoise and London Posse.

Kudos to him for not selling out and doing what he believed in. There was real talent in the early nineties from the UK that most hip hop fans have no idea about, unfortunately.

There was a reissue program on a label called Original Dope 3 or 4 years ago where they released a handful of UK albums from that period (Blade, MC Duke, Silver Bullet, MC Mell'O', Ruthless Rap Assassins), would be great to see more of that stuff resurface. Unfortunately they never followed up with any more, not sure if the venture collapsed or whatever, it's probably not a real money maker :(

http://originaldope.com/?cat=3

Yeah, got it also along with a few UK gems like Hijack and Hardnoise and London Posse.

Kudos to him for not selling out and doing what he believed in. There was real talent in the early nineties from the UK that most hip hop fans have no idea about, unfortunately.

I follow Huntkillberry on Youtube. I think that guy has every UK 12" ever released.

I follow Hardnoise on Facebook as well. They occasionally sell promo 12"s, unreleased remixes and limited edition Hardnoise clothing. My 'Serve Tea Then Murder' 12" probably doesn't have grooves anymore from being overplayed to death. Gemini released some solo material earlier this year that you can hear on Soundcloud.

http://youtu.be/uWProLM1CX4

• 2 weeks later...

A question that I think (hope) might be relevant to this thread - I've got a mp3 of 'Running' by The Pharcyde from feck knows where, but I think it's ace. Is this representative of their stuff generally (i.e. if I like this track, might I like other stuff they've done?) and if so, where do I start? Suggestions welcome.

A question that I think (hope) might be relevant to this thread - I've got a mp3 of 'Running' by The Pharcyde from feck knows where, but I think it's ace. Is this representative of their stuff generally (i.e. if I like this track, might I like other stuff they've done?) and if so, where do I start? Suggestions welcome.

It's not that representative to be honest, I suppose the album it's from called Labcabinacalifornia is most like it. They only really had two albums of note, that which was their second, and their debut Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde which is generally considered a classic and is a bit of a sprawling masterpiece. It's a bit goofy in parts but has some amazing tracks.

Yup. He kept mentioning the 16th of September though.

1407396451594.jpg

Word to the mutha fuka! ;)

Aye I saw that pic and that's why I asked because the article it's linked to doesn't have him saying that quote. He basically says 'It's f**k all to do with me...no comment'.

Re The Pharcyde - they're playing on 5th September at the O2 ABC in Glasgow.

• 4 weeks later...

I follow Huntkillberry on Youtube. I think that guy has every UK 12" ever released.

I follow Hardnoise on Facebook as well. They occasionally sell promo 12"s, unreleased remixes and limited edition Hardnoise clothing. My 'Serve Tea Then Murder' 12" probably doesn't have grooves anymore from being overplayed to death. Gemini released some solo material earlier this year that you can hear on Soundcloud.

http://youtu.be/uWProLM1CX4

After writing about Gemini, my favourite UK emcee of all time, just the other week, the man has passed away.

RIP Gemini: