Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Nizzy, you ever listened to Take It Personal podcast?The subjects for the shows won't be anything new to you apart some Southern stuff maybe but they go deep, 5/6 hour episodes sometimes 3 part episodes so nearly 20 hour shows. Boys that do it are funny as well. 

I haven't, but will do on your recommendation.

I bought a rap album for the first time in a loooong time this week - the Guilty Simpson/Leonard Charles collab, 'LSD'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend any psyche rap tracks or albums similar to the Mr Lif and Cannibal Ox songs I posted recently? The other album that springs to mind instantly is Edan's 'Beauty and the Beat'.

48 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Can anyone recommend any psyche rap tracks or albums similar to the Mr Lif and Cannibal Ox songs I posted recently? The other album that springs to mind instantly is Edan's 'Beauty and the Beat'.

I never got into the leftfield stuff that was popular in the late 90s tbh.  It was one of the reasons Stretch and Bobbito split up.  You'll have heard Company Flow I'm sure, big fan of Funchrusher Plus and there's the releases on Anticon you might like, never listened to them personally. Aesop Rock and El-P maybe?

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

I quite liked a lot of the Anticon stuff from the late 90's that was quite similar. There was a great comp called "Music For The Advancement Of Hip Hop".  Or you could try Them's self titled album from 2000 or Clouddead's self titled one from the same year

9 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Appreciate the recommendations, cheers. Dug out Latyrx's first album. Also have the first two Shabazz Palaces EPs on standby.

Used to listen/dj Solesides/Quannum stuff bitd. If you're interested in Latryx check out that stuff with Chief Xcel, Gift of Gab etc if you haven't already.