Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

On 31/05/2019 at 21:49, Dee Man said:

One of Bristol's finest, Datkid, has just released his latest solo album Confessions of a Crud Lord. Not many UK artists albums will feature collabs with the likes of Conway the Machine, Roc Marciano and Westside Gunn but him and Leaf Dog have pulled it off.  Some incredible tracks on here with some of the production  sounding very early Wu-Tang-esque. I haven't looked through the track listings but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see RZA being responsible for some of the tunes, but unlikely. 

@HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows and @Boostin' Kev. Definitely a little bit of something for you boys on it.

Sorry just seen this now for some reason,I'll listen to it later. 

Kind of went off Westside Gunn and Conway a bit with all the gun imitation vocals. Clever business model they have though, their vinyls are expensive and sell very quickly, seem to be popular with the US hipster/Supreme crowd. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently started getting in to more hip hop and I'm looking for recommendations for some recent stuff. I've found recent stuff I like from acts I remember from the past (Busta rhymes, del the etc, tribe called quest) but would pointed towards some new acts. Much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2019 at 16:30, coprolite said:

I've recently started getting in to more hip hop and I'm looking for recommendations for some recent stuff. I've found recent stuff I like from acts I remember from the past (Busta rhymes, del the etc, tribe called quest) but would pointed towards some new acts. Much appreciated. 

I think my album of the year is EARTHGANG - Mirrorland. Give that a bash, highlights include: Top Down, UP, Swivel.

The Freddie Gibbs/Madlib album 'Bandana' is also great.

Edited by Slacker

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

I think my album of the year is EARTHGANG - Mirrorland. Give that a bash, highlights include: Top Down, UP, Swivel.

The Freddie Gibbs/Madlib album 'Bandana' is also great.

Both downloaded-will give them a listen. Thanks for the recommendations 

On 26/10/2019 at 16:30, coprolite said:

A$AP Rocky is worth checking out. Babushka Boy (sp?), Peso.. plenty of stuff that sounds modern but is unmistakably from the same vein as the classic New York stuff. 

On 07/12/2019 at 12:46, Shandon Par said:

A$AP Rocky is worth checking out. Babushka Boy (sp?), Peso.. plenty of stuff that sounds modern but is unmistakably from the same vein as the classic New York stuff. 

Thanks, downloaded Babushka Boy for my commute. 

• 1 month later...

For new hip hop Noz's top 100 tracks are a good listen, lot of regional stuff and not just 90's NYC imitators. https://lightsleeper.substack.com/

http://themartorialist.blogspot.com/ is good for keeping up to date with what's new and unreleased old classics.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

• 2 months later...

Jaguar Skills does a podcast (make that 40 1hr podcasts) where he deconstructs some of the best tracks from each year, finding the samples and how they fitted into the tracks. 

Muggs’ Jump Around is pretty out there in terms of how they end up with the track sounding as it did. 

On 17/04/2020 at 13:21, Shandon Par said:

Jaguar Skills does a podcast (make that 40 1hr podcasts) where he deconstructs some of the best tracks from each year, finding the samples and how they fitted into the tracks. 

Muggs’ Jump Around is pretty out there in terms of how they end up with the track sounding as it did. 

Sounds good, will check that out.