climate change

jojo

4 hours ago, pawpar said:

Adapt or die - the main thing happening in the world at the moment. However all the saddos in the covid 19 thread think the worst thing in their virgin little world is that their civil liberties will be taken away if they have to wear a mask or have a vaccine passport . Gotta love P&B for it's meteor dinosaur attitude.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58883234  

What if you are entirely committed to fighting climate change, but opposed to vaccine passports?

I mean, that was entirely the Green Party’s mantra till the SG threw them a bone and they sold their soul.

13 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Some of the takes at the beginning of the thread are genuinely extraordinary.  

32 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Man Utd flying to play Leicester today. 100 miles. 

Rugster in particular having an appalling first two pages. I suppose there's hope for everyone.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Some of the takes at the beginning of the thread are genuinely extraordinary.  

Wow. Was that really just ten years ago?

I doubt many have changed their minds. The prevailing mindset is still, "I have things to worry about that are actually important", you're just more likely to be challenged for it now. We're going to be remembered as a generation of utter c***s.

One of the main things a person/family could do to reduce their Carbon footprint would be to use public transport to get to work or have a fully electric car. However, when trying to get people to change to an alternative, the alternative has to be at least as good as the current option.

With public transport to work, I/my wife live 4.8 miles and 5.6 miles away from our respective places of work (as the crow flies). This is a max of 40 minutes return trip for me, 50 mins for her.

Taking the fastest series of public transport connections, It's 1 hr 40 mins for me and 2 hrs 40 for her. 

We looked into electric card when we bought a new car earlier this year and despite the savings in fuel, the up front cost was thousands higher than a similar petrol version. We stay in a flat so can't get a charger installed on a driveway and it seems that although some of the faster chargers can complete a charge in 30ish mins, others take several hours. We like going big road trips and the hassle of trying to plan in stops because the range is 300 miles worse than my current car is not appealing.

I do my bit in daily life with regards recycling, cutting down plastic use etc but won't buy an electric car until the range and charging infrastructure  improves significantly. 

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

However, when trying to get people to change to an alternative, the alternative has to be at least as good as the current option.

If we're depending on that we'll never get anywhere - the alternative is an alternative because it's not as attractive as the preferred option.  

17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If we're depending on that we'll never get anywhere - the alternative is an alternative because it's not as attractive as the preferred option.  

Not really true though is it. Plenty of folk use bikes or public transport in Europe because their infrastructure is just as good as the road network, if not better. It would cost me over £5 every day to travel the 10 minute journey to my work on the train, that's just completely pish especially when the services are completely unreliable. To travel between our two main cities on the train (an hours journey) is the guts of £30. I could buy a train ticket online right now that takes me from Amsterdam to Antwerp (an hour and a half journey through two countries) and it would cost me £17. The public transport in this country is treated with the contempt it deserves and until that changes folk will continue to use their cars.  

Sturgeon currently announcing that she is anti-Cambo and anti-O&G exploration (evidently wanting to copy the Danish).  Ooft.

Unclear on whether that's just her personal view or the general view of the SG as well.

Edited by Hedgecutter

For once I actually (partly) agree Boris Johnson.

Recycling plastics does not work, says Boris Johnson https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59039155

His statement is poorly worded, recycling DOES work however he should have said recycling isn’t enough. He is absolutely correct in saying we should cut down on plastic use. That’s all very well but we already know people aren’t taking the initiative. The UK government could of course simply ban many types of single use plastics and other items such as shopping bags, coffee cups, food packaging, etc. They - and indeed the Scottish Government for that matter - could announce these measures tomorrow and give companies and consumers a few months to prepare for the switch. To me this seems like a perfectly acceptable and simply measure to carry out. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t do this?

Joanna Lumley has stepped up and opened the debate on rationing to reduce emissions. I wonder how many flights she has been on this year?

She's close friends with Prince Charles so it's not much of a surprise she is doing some heavy lifting for the Great Reset. You would think after the Garden Bridge fiasco she would shut the f**k up.