climate change

jojo

55 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Sums it up for me where the mentality of a particular type of right wing response to the debate is concerned, but the likes of Elon Musk are being driven by the profit motive as much as anything else and regardless of the whole climate change debate fossil fuels have been getting more expensive as the most easily exploited reserves were used up and that has created the fiscal environment where wind and solar and the Li battery has actually started to compete and make financial sense. Hopefully that will continue as if it is cheaper to keep burning fossil fuels developing countriesare going to do what they have to do to get their slice of the action economically regardless of what Al Gore and Michael Mann have to say about it.

Still, Heat is a classic.

5 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Used to be called global warming then climate change and now aren't there calls for it to be called "extreme weather"

The term climate change first appears in the literature associated with CO2 in the late 50s.

The Carbon Dioxide Theory of Climatic Change 1956, Gilbert Plass. 

The term global warming was invented by Wally Broecker in 1975

Climatic Change: Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?

The two terms were used interchangably. For example in 1988 the group founded by the World Meteorological Organisation to study the problem was named the International Panel on Climate Change. 

The choice to focus on Climate Change was made by republican spin docker Frank Luntz 

The memo, by the leading Republican consultant Frank Luntz, concedes the party has "lost the environmental communications battle" and urges its politicians to encourage the public in the view that there is no scientific consensus on the dangers of greenhouse gases.

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science," Mr Luntz writes in the memo, obtained by the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based campaigning organisation.

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly.

"Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate."

The phrase "global warming" should be abandoned in favour of "climate change", Mr Luntz says, and the party should describe its policies as "conservationist" instead of "environmentalist", because "most people" think environmentalists are "extremists" who indulge in "some pretty bizarre behaviour... that turns off many voters".

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2003/mar/04/usnews.climatechange

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 09/10/2018 at 09:46, thisal said:

In light of the grim warnings this week I thought I'd bump this. Do people still think global warming is a capitalist plot?

Anyone. A decade has passed since this topic started  and it's been the hottest on record. the UN issuing a sober report on human impact on climate change.

First few pages make interesting reading. Who'd have thought xbl was the voice of reason. 

14 minutes ago, renton said:

I think that was his radical libertarian phase.

It’s a good job the Dutch are so tall. I noted you were firmly in this “this is some serious shit” camp back in 2011 so well done you! My place is not much above sea level and you only need to look at the coastal erosion from both tides and floods coming down from the hills to see that folk are still not grasping how serious this is. Plenty of major global cities are at sea level and there is catastrophe ahead. 

ETA. If anyone needs a decorator following some leak damage PM me. 

Edited by Shandon Par

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Ad Lib advocating we drown the Dutch was quite a surprise. 

I was thinking about the Dutch at some point soon you would think you wouldn't get a mortgage in Holland or maybe as they say the Dutch are more prepared for this than anyone else due to constantly living under the threat of flooding

Edited by BigDoddyKane

28 minutes ago, renton said:

I think that was his radical libertarian phase.

I remember him advocating legalisation of incest and sex with animals too, which might have been a potential hurdle to his political career had it been more successful. Think it was more about practicing his debating skills than a sincerely held belief.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Thundermonkey calling it 10 years ago that the Tories would try to paint Thatcher as a conservationist ahead of her time for closing the mines. That happened last week! Life imitating P&B.

Bugger off you, 10 years you had to bring that up! Well a week really but still.

Edited by Moomintroll

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That first page brings back some memories. The puddle drinker, wunfy and that Morton lad who intentionally pished himself all offering hot takes in the first 4 posts. 

Supras also managing to shoehorn in something about the legalisation of drugs as well. The one thing he was probably ever right about tbf.

27 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I was thinking about the Dutch at some point soon you would think you wouldn't get a mortgage in Holland or maybe as they say the Dutch are more prepared for this than anyone else due to constantly living under the threat of flooding

10+ years back surveyors here we’re saying how they didn’t think they should be valuing for mortgage purposes places such as top floor Edinburgh tenement flats. With poor repair and climate change they envisaged places being literally washed out, crippling insurance companies and lenders and then having insurers and lenders coming to them for compo. All swept under the carpet of course so everyone could ride the gravy train.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I remember him advocating legalisation of incest and sex with animals too, which might have been a potential hurdle to his political career had it been more successful. Think it was more about practicing his debating skills than a sincerely held belief.

He says that now.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

10+ years back surveyors here we’re saying how they didn’t think they should be valuing for mortgage purposes places such as top floor Edinburgh tenement flats. With poor repair and climate change they envisaged places being literally washed out, crippling insurance companies and lenders and then having insurers and lenders coming to them for compo. All swept under the carpet of course so everyone could ride the gravy train.

Why top floor? Surely the top floor would just be come " Marina view flats, ample boat parking"