Nightshift.

• 7 months later...

On nightshift this week in my new job and it is fairly easy, 10-615. It isn't exactly quiet but their isn't any supervisors kicking about so I just get on with my own thing.

On Sunday's we do a 12 hour shift, 6-615 and I done it hungover with hardly any sleep. It was brutal. I was that fucked, I had to stop off in a lay by on the way back to Dundee.

Got a job at Domino's whilst at uni because I'm skint, and it's brutal. Working 5pm til 7am on a Friday then 5pm to 5am on the Saturday. Although it's on the weekend it fucks up my sleeping pattern something rotten, which obviously isn't v. good for attending lectures etc. It's also minimum wage so only £5.13 an hour.

Miserable scenes :(

Got a job at Domino's whilst at uni because I'm skint, and it's brutal. Working 5pm til 7am on a Friday then 5pm to 5am on the Saturday. Although it's on the weekend it fucks up my sleeping pattern something rotten, which obviously isn't v. good for attending lectures etc. It's also minimum wage so only £5.13 an hour.

Sorry dude but that sounds pretty awful, I was working those shifts I'd at least wants some decent money.

Steal from the till.

I always thought you had to be paid more than NMW for working 'unsociable' hours?

Nope. I'm sure it's at the company's discretion, it's just seen as the right thing to do. I get paid MW when I do nightshift too.

Been on nights for 7 months now and still not sure if I like it. I like the working pattern (3 on 4 off) but it's hard work and if your having a night where you've not had enough sleep it can be torturous.

Don't sleep during the day on your first night. It sets you up to sleep the next day and don't sleep after your last shift.

I'd patch that

I've never done a full night shift but I did work a back shift - 4 to 12pm.

I actually quite liked it. I'm not really a morning person so I quite liked getting up about 9 or 10 and having a leisurely breakfast. Also when I do 9-5 I tended to come home tired, have dinner, lie around for a bit and then go to bed. When I worked back shift I'd usually go out during the day and do something before I started because I wasn't tired from work.

Also with back shift your sleep pattern in basically the same and if anything better cos you can lie in a bit longer.

The worst thing about it really was switching shifts leaving work at 11pm and having to be in the office again at 7am for a long day shift. That was brutal.