The General Ross County Chat Thread

Let's be honest, if Mark Reynolds can be a bit part squad player when a lot of guys are hurt, Robertson could too. Unlike Aberdeen fans, I'm not going to suggest he should be though.

Steven Ross is apparently joining Darren Barr, Mark Brown and Steven Craig at your central Scotland second Xi. Can't say I've ever heard of him, any good?

File under "not quite good enough". There's a decent Championship midfielder/forward in there somewhere.

Very hard working player without a cutting edge yet. Best played as a box-to-box midfielder in a 4-3-3, next to an anchor and a more creative type. Jackson Irvine-lite. IMO.

He played as a striker under Derek Adams and got a run of games in a poor team. He does the out-of-possession stuff well but proved not to be clinical or instinctive in the box.

It just occurred to me that it will have been a year this week (Thursday morning) since George and Derek Adams got the sack.

It's been a interesting year. Floundering at the bottom of the division, seemingly one disruptive season too many. What a run from 14 February to the end of the season, and County are still showing that they're competitive for mid-table, hopefully towards the upper end of that.

Derek is doing well at Plymouth, winning three out of four league games. Graham Carey is playing very well as the number 10, Jake Jervis is thriving on the flank. I suspect that some of the defensive football in League 2 isn't as strong as the Premiership but good on them.

Looking back at some of Derek's quotes immediately after the sacking is quite interesting.

The club wanted to go back to being a community club and that is something they had also talked to us about over many years

The director of football and I were adamant that we wanted to look to the first team - to try to get the club into the Premier League and, over the last seasons, we've done that.

I think it's the wrong direction they've taken. What does it mean to go back to its roots and be a community club? I am not sure what that means.

I suppose it means introducing The Ross County Foundation (I still don't fully know what it does, but it's a registered charity to help the community with a football flavour, and it keeps Stevie Ferguson busy). It probably also means having the Staggies Bar, which appears to be a success so far.

I still fully appreciate what Messrs Adams gave Ross County. But the two appeared quite happy with their repeated short-termism (not just in playing but also coaching staff) and it just wasn't sustainable. Had they still been at the club last season, maybe County could have escaped but it would have taken further plundering of players of the ilk of Songo'o and Cikos - great players but who were never going to stay here long term.

By the beginning of February I was convinced County were going down, but I felt things would have clicked under McIntyre and that they should have allowed him to follow through with rebuilding. Thankfully it didn't come to that.

In the weeks leading up to this time last year, there was most definitely a dark cloud over the place. There was a negative atmosphere due to the boardroom friction and the fact that Adams's new crop of signings were mostly guff. Today, we can be genuinely optimistic about so many aspects. Derek was very professional indeed, with a great attention to detail, but the current management have been given the chance to better that.

This time next year, hopefully, is a little more easy to predict, with the existing squad still remaining together and competing well. I look forward to seeing Jackson Irvine with another 40 games' experience. Will County be able to keep him? Liam Boyce has just been called up for the NI squad, will he make the Euros? I'd love to see that happen.

I see the BBC are claiming that we were in for Billy Mckay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34074171

I find it hard to believe that we would be willing to pay anywhere near that amount for a player. It would have been a fantastic GIRUY to ICT though.

None of the three forwards play on the last shoulder, Jim has been looking for that type of striker to complete the set.

An East Fife fan on twitter said the other night that County put in a bid for Nathan Austin, who would be the ideal signing for the squad IMO.

Billy Mckay would be a brilliant - and hilarious - signing. But I don't believe it will happen.

ETA: I saw on Twitter last night that Kyle Macleod's loan to Elgin has been extended to January. Good news.

Edited by bunglebonce