The General Ross County Chat Thread

He achieved incredible success with us, but I think it is more to do with the success of the players like Brittain, Vigurs, Lawson, Munro, Kettlewell, Gardyne and Boyd.

This last line there is a large part of it, the team spirit and togetherness of those players will go unmatched for some time. They were a unit, perhaps more in spite of Adams than because of it.

Can't write Adams contribution off altogether though, he worked some wonders in his time with us. It was him that put much of that team together after-all and set the overall tactic and style. He very much lost his way with that in the end though.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Derek & George were fucking eejits. But “I don’t think I've ever met such terrible people in football as Derek and George Adams. It was impossible to have a normal conversation with them." is pretty damning. I mean it's just basic shit.

On the large part if they didn't have anything they wanted to say to the player, they just refused to entertain them or speak to them at all. This is how the Brittain saga came about. They just wouldn't talk to him. A lesser known fact of the more recent era of the Adam's regime, was that even Roy wasn't allowed to talk to Derek, everything had to go through George. Hence why George was even eventually tasked with sacking Derek.

This last line there is a large part of it, the team spirit and togetherness of those players will go unmatched for some time. They were a unit, perhaps more in spite of Adams than because of it.

Can't write Adams contribution off altogether though, he worked some wonders in his time with us. It was him that put much of that team together after-all and set the overall tactic and style. He very much lost his way with that in the end though.

On the large part if they didn't have anything they wanted to say to the player, they just refused to entertain them or speak to them at all. This is how the Brittain saga came about. They just wouldn't talk to him. A lesser known fact of the more recent era of the Adam's regime, was that even Roy wasn't allowed to talk to Derek, everything had to go through George. Hence why George was even eventually tasked with sacking Derek.

Although without a little qurik of fate in Steven Craig getting a massive eight game suspension, and forcing his hand we might never have seen the invincibles.

Although without a little qurik of fate in Steven Craig getting a massive eight game suspension, and forcing his hand we might never have seen the invincibles.

That's very true... he did love playing Steven Craig no matter what.

Adams is an arse, but you also need to remember these guys were just not performing either. MDL being the exception at times.

These guys were 19-21 years old when they joined, young lads who had moved out of their country for the first time. I reckon the majority of foreigners need a year to settle in, especially if they're young. Even Luis Suarez had a stinker in his first season at Liverpool by his earlier standards.

Melvin was the only one to hit the ground running, but he had much more life and playing experience than the others and therefore was a more complete package when he arrived. The others barely had any first team experience at all, and in the case of Klok, Balk and Luckassen none at all. That's why I was wanting to be patient with them, naively hoping that the management would play out the long term strategy with them.

I'm still clinging on to the thought that Luckassen would have developed the nous to play the lone striker role to match his outrageous physique if he was given 60+ games over his 3 years - he was only 19 when he joined and 20 when he was sold. Klok could have turned into a lynchpin eventually but needed a lot more experience at a lower level. I was always a fan of Balk but I can't disagree with McIntyre that he needs experience at the back just now - Balk was making important errors that were costing goals, as Frempah has this season too. Regrettably the bottom of the table isn't a place to allow defenders to learn from their mistakes. Boyd was likely to keep his place until January even if Frempah didn't get injured.

I think Klok should have gone to Peterhead on loan and he was wrong to think it was beneath him - that was the perfect opportunity at the perfect time for him when he needed to deal with the rough and tumble a lot better. The Dutch players' wags weren't shy in whining about living in the country. Melvin had an ego to outstrip his enviable ability. Nobody's perfect. I fear Maatsen's probably not done his prospects any good with his quotes, which is unfortunate for him, but I can't blame him for being frustrated when his last touch of the ball for the first team was scoring a winning goal over two months ago.

It's a shame the club didn't invest more time in them.

He achieved incredible success with us, but I think it is more to do with the success of the players like Brittain, Vigurs, Lawson, Munro, Kettlewell, Gardyne and Boyd.

I think that is a bit harsh. All of those players - with the exception of Munro - developed into better footballers under Adams's stewardship. It could be argued that they would have done so under someone else regardless, but football is a fickle sport and they might not have had the opportunity to do so.

I thought at the time that Craig was holding back the team's potential, and Adams always had a blind spot for him. But I think Adams would plumped for the team we were hoping for quickly enough. The invincibles team wasn't that far removed from Adams's best XI in the 09/10 season (the team that beat ICT twice and Dundee away, rather than the Scottish Cup teams).

I wonder if any managers deliberately employ that as a man-management tactic: promote team togetherness by making the players unite in hating you. Certainly a high-risk strategy, but I remember being at a Q&A with Davie Irons when he was Morton manager where he talked about playing for Partick under John Lambie. He said the squad had a tremendous team spirit because they all thought Lambie was an utter dick and were motivated to play well in order to throw his incessant criticism back in his face.

Of course, the same tactic didn't work for Irons as players just hated him full stop, form collapsed and he was ultimately turfed due to a revolt from senior players. Perhaps Adams was trying the same thing and it worked for a few years before the players eventually got sick of it. Or probably more plausibly, he's just an utter bellend.

I wonder if any managers deliberately employ that as a man-management tactic: promote team togetherness by making the players unite in hating you. Certainly a high-risk strategy, but I remember being at a Q&A with Davie Irons when he was Morton manager where he talked about playing for Partick under John Lambie. He said the squad had a tremendous team spirit because they all thought Lambie was an utter dick and were motivated to play well in order to throw his incessant criticism back in his face.

Of course, the same tactic didn't work for Irons as players just hated him full stop, form collapsed and he was ultimately turfed due to a revolt from senior players. Perhaps Adams was trying the same thing and it worked for a few years before the players eventually got sick of it. Or probably more plausibly, he's just an utter bellend.

Its a method but only for old school managers, doubt it would work as well these days

Notice that Adams has turned down Talking to Motherwell as we are still paying him until 2016.

I'm not convinced that's the only reason he turned them down... there looks to be some instability at 'Well as the potential board takeovers struggle on, so he maybe doesn't want to walk into that, for example.

Would be disappointed if the fact he is still being paid by County was the main reason for turning down the job, but I dont know for sure either way. Are there quotes or statements on turning down Motherwell at all?

Clearly I should never have trusted that Derek Adams. Things had evidently come to a dire and toxic situation.

I was just ready to fully support the new manager but am concerned that - certainly in young Daz Maats experience - the foreign players may not be getting a fair chance. De Leeuw could not be faulted for effort, skill or understanding of the way the game is played here.

Scottish premiership experience is all very well but there has to be a balance, and we have to be very careful about favouring those players full stop. I hate to say this but at the moment it just seems to tilt slightly towards unfair discrimination against foreign players.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully we can get some of the short term contracts extended until the summer at least.

We have some decent players that need signed up in my opinion or lose them in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

In January out of contract are

Gardyne

P Quinn

Woods

Reckord

Toshney

I think the top 4 on that list are very important to be signed up again.

I really like Woods, and feel he is very underrated by many as he is one of those players who goes about his business in a tidy if unspectacular way. Similar to Tidser last year.

Hopefully we will get a bit of loyalty for offering them a route back into 1st team football.

Out with that hopefully JM has identified a right back and a centre back as a minimum to come in when the window opens.

He has said he has a budget hasn't he?

Hopefully we can get some of the short term contracts extended until the summer at least.

We have some decent players that need signed up in my opinion or lose them in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

In January out of contract are

Gardyne

P Quinn

Woods

Reckord

Toshney

I think the top 4 on that list are very important to be signed up again.

I really like Woods, and feel he is very underrated by many as he is one of those players who goes about his business in a tidy if unspectacular way. Similar to Tidser last year.

Hopefully we will get a bit of loyalty for offering them a route back into 1st team football.

Out with that hopefully JM has identified a right back and a centre back as a minimum to come in when the window opens.

He has said he has a budget hasn't he?

Agree with you there re Woods. Felt he did a power of important work in the middle yesterday without sticking out.

Agree with you there re Woods. Felt he did a power of important work in the middle yesterday without sticking out.

I'm just about over seething at him wasting a great chance for Carey to come on to a shot by swiping with his right foot on the turn that he was never going to score from. It was early on in the match at Motherwell and didn't make any of the highlights, but if he listened to Carey's call then Carey would have been in a similar position to his goal against St Mirren.

He started really well, wasn't brave enough with the ball against St Johnstone but has been good again since then. It's easy to compare him to Tidser, he's probably not as precise as Tidser but he is involved a fair bit more.

There was an article in the local press last week with him, probably the North Star, but while it mentioned his deal expiring in January there wasn't talk about him wanting to stay or leave. Unlike previous quotes from Gardyne, Quinn and I think Reckord where they indicated they are keen on staying. I'm probably reading something from nothing though.

Funnily enough, Tidser is on a six month loan at Oldham just now and has barely featured for them. I wouldn't bet against him joining someone in Scotland in January.

Isn't irvines loan expiring in January aswell ??

His loan is until the end of the season, like Kiss. Gardyne's is up on 19 January i.e. the Monday after the St Mirren game.

Edited by bunglebonce

I'm just about over seething at him wasting a great chance for Carey to come on to a shot by swiping with his right foot on the turn that he was never going to score from. It was early on in the match at Motherwell and didn't make any of the highlights, but if he listened to Carey's call then Carey would have been in a similar position to his goal against St Mirren.

Are you talking about c.1:15 through 1:35?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHqYuOiEiI#t=10

I was disappointed with how that turned out too, if so.

I think Woods is a lot like Simon Lappin. Both started as wide men. Now they're both central midfielders with good left feet that said I think from the games I've seen if rather have Lappin. Better passing range and gets stuck in a bit more. Without maybe the ability to break with the ball it looks like Woods has.

The Pittodrie match against Ross County, due to be played on January 21, has also been rearranged for Saturday, February 7 with a 3pm kick-off. That game won't be on TV, but both teams are out of the Scottish Cup and have agreed to play on that day.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/the-dons/three-dons-games-rearranged-next-year-1.741978

A sensible moving for once with regards to fixture changes. I hope there aren't too many County fans who have already booked train tickets and/or accommodation for the original date.