The General Ross County Chat Thread

We've supplemented injured right backs we're not sure are good enough, with an injury-prone right back we're not sure is good enough.

And a midfield with no shape, with a headless chicken midfielder.

And an over-resourced front line that can't defend, with a lightweight forward who can't defend but will also expect first team football.

Was hoping for January-esque signings, not very happy with today.

Really hope I'm just in a prolonged huff and everything is actually better than it looks.

What on earth has been going on at County today? I mean if you are going to make panic signings than at least make them for positions that need strengthening. Midge? Just why?

Aye, it got me doing a head count. Gardne will join De Leeuw/Arquin/Boyce/Jervis/Cardle as the 'first choice' 6 forwards.

Which puts the 4 of Dingwall, Ross, Maatsen and Kyle McLeod all looking at 6 senior players ahead of them for a maximum of, say, 3 places.
Unless we play 4231, which would create 4 places for all 10 players to aim for.
Assuming Carey and Kiss don't look for a role in the '3' of that formation. Throw them in the mix and it's 12 players for 4 positions.
That is fucking mental.
Edited by dingdong1929

We don't have enough forwards man.

Yoann Aquin, Jake Jervis, Liam Boyce, Steven Ross, Darren Maatsen, Melvin De Leeuw, Tony Dingwall and Kyle MacLeod isn't enough. That's only 8. EIGHT.

:bairn

I've included Cardle too, as he's played as part of the front three a few times. Which makes 9 (NINE).

Just to reiterate as I can't quite believe it, that's 9 (NINE) BEFORE you add Gardyne!

Edit: Aye, great minds leuan 8)

Edited by dingdong1929

So how do we think about lining up? I'm leaning more towards Arquin and MDL starting together, meaning Boyce will unfortunately be benched (but hey, a goalscoring substitute isn't a bad thing). That leaves several issues:

• Who starts on the right? Brittain (a more conservative approach) or Maatsen (largely untested) are the two obvious options.
  • The midfield conundrum is giving me a headache. I really rate Kiss and he can be a matchwinner on his day. That said, I think he needs someone like [CLICHE KLAXON] Lawson next to him
  • The back four! It's anyone's guess as to who plays. IMO Celcer is just dreadful but should Latouchent be thrown in ahead of him? Balk should, ideally, start - his potential range of passing would be nice. Frempah sounds like a "dominating" centre-back but might be a bit too raw. Boyd could feasibly be dropped but I doubt he will, plus his experience is useful. I assume Barr will start at right-back but Fenlon maybe needs another opportunity.
  • Gardyne will probably get shoehorned in somewhere. Meh.

Irvine and Kiss will be CM going forward I would imagine.

Darren Barr can't be match fit, but would be a big improvement on our RB options.

Left back is our real problem area, Carey may have to drop back or play Latouchent(sp?)

Brittain may work on the right and get Arquin up front where he belongs. Love Midge but just can't see where he will fit in.

Agree with BB that Irvine is a bit of headless chicken, but he improved greatly in the 2nd half of last season for Killie, so I expect him to continue with that.

Remember we can still sign out of contract players.

As an outsider looking in how do you feel about signing 3 players who were part of a very poor killie team who avoided relegation only due to hibs implosion and kris Boyds goals?

I know midge personally and he's a good player. He loved it up north so hopefully can rediscover his form but I think we can acknowledge he's not the type of player who's going to grab your season by the scruff of the neck which appears to be what is required.

Planning on going to the development game tonight. There will be others doing live updates on Twitter, so it seems, so I'll focus just on what Latouchent can do and put a post here tonight. It should be the first game I've seen him start.

Edited by bunglebonce

Planning on going to the development game tonight. There will be others doing live updates on Twitter, so it seems, so I'll focus just on what Latouchent can do and put a post here tonight. It should be the first game I've seen him start.

What time is k/o? I might have a wander down to the Bronx after work.

The ever reliable official site has the match listed as kicking off at 12am this morning with the final result being 0-0.