The General Ross County Chat Thread

Importantly, we've already got a song for Evangelos Ikonomou - "What's In Yer Bag Evangelos - Tell Us What's In yer Bag [ya b*****d]";

-----------

Two 80's songs? Age most definitely showing Les. Although to be fair, I've always said 80's or early 90's songs are prime material for football songs. Hence one of my more recent contributions was the 2-4-6-8 Motorway rehash at Hearts.

The best I could come up with was (Ivan) the Time of my Life. ph34r.gif

Edited by bunglebonce

-----------

The best I could come up with was (Ivan) the Time of my Life. ph34r.gif

Madness - House Ivan :blink: - i.e. "Welcome to the House Ivan"

Also, U2's "With or Without You" becomes "Without Ikonomou" - i.e. "I can't live, without Ikonomou"

Sorry :ph34r:

Edit: Of course we could also have Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Ivan.

Edited by Spain

Madness - House Ivan :blink: - i.e. "Welcome to the House Ivan"

Also, U2's "With or Without You" becomes "Without Ikonomou" - i.e. "I can't live, without Ikonomou"

Sorry :ph34r:

Edit: Of course we could also have Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Ivan.

Thanks Spain & Bunglebonce. Your contributions make me feel slightly less embarrassed about mine. biggrin.gif

Thanks Spain & Bunglebonce. Your contributions make me feel slightly less embarrassed about mine. biggrin.gif

No problem.

It may have been noted that I've held off on my stat attack. I've set my spreadsheet up to kick in after 22 games (so that in theory everyone would have played everyone twice - but that's not necessarily the case). So I'll give a mini-stat attack on Dundee on Monday, and another one on us the following week. The very basic summary though is that Dundee actually have a relatively decent tally for a team expected to go down, whereas we statistically are a decent way ahead of being relegation candidates.

The very basic summary though is that Dundee actually have a relatively decent tally for a team expected to go down, whereas we statistically are a decent way ahead of being relegation candidates.

Would both of those points not be a correlation to the advent of Sevco?

Would both of those points not be a correlation to the advent of Sevco?

Ours perhaps, we're 4 points better off than if we played (and lost) to a strong title contending Rangers side. In which case, we'd be right on the top end as one of the highest scoring clubs to be to potentially be relegated at this point.

If you took the 4 points off us (and ignored the 2 games we still have to play to get to 22 games), we'd be on 17, which is highest tally a team who's been bottom at the "22 Stage" and survived has had - Hamilton were equal bottom on 17 with Falkirk in 09/10.

Equally, only Dundee have had more than 17 points at the "22 Stage" and gone on to be relegated (19 points in 04/05 - Livi were bottom at that point with 16 though). Dunfermline (11/12), Falkirk (09/10) and ICT (08/09) were all relegated after being on 17 points at this stage. Motherwell, despite finishing bottom in 02/03 were also on 17 at the "22 stage".

All in all, we're doing fairly well in our maiden season, and we knew without Dundee that relegation could have been a distinct possibility.

I don't think we can say the same for Dundee though. Assuming Rangers were still on the go, and they had been promoted instead of us, they picked their points up from Hearts (x2) and Hibs, plus some draws, in other words, teams that would still be there. You could only take the 1 point away from them if you replaced their results against us with likely defeats against a "Rangers".

It's all very difficult to hypothesise about having a "Rangers" there. I mean, you'd also have to account for the fact that other clubs would have less points too. St. Mirren have picked up 6 against Dundee. If you converted them to losses along with ours, we'd only be 2 behind them with 2 games in hand.

Don't get me wrong by the way, my "Dundee actually have a relatively decent tally for a team expected to go down" comment actually means that they're doing no worse than other teams that have been relegated in the past, so aren't embarrassing themselves despite the circumstances of their promotion. Having played only one game more, Partick were still on 9 points at the "22 stage" in 03/04.

Edit: Incidentally, Partick never exceeding Dundee's current total and acquired their 13th point until their 27th match on the 9th of March. They ended up on 26 points at the end of the season, 8 points adrift of Aberdeen.

Edited by Spain

Mini Stat Attack Update!

Dundee

Dundee, sitting on 13 points after 22 games. This is better than the following:

2000/2001 - Dundee Utd. = 7pts & St. Mirren = 12pts (St. Mirren eventually relegated)

2003/2004 - Partick = 9pts (eventually relegated)

2005/2006 - Livingston = 12pts (eventually relegated).

This is equal to both St. Johnstone (01/02) & Gretna (07/08) who both ended up relegated.

However, the following all had better tallies at this stage and were all still relegated (or finished bottom and should have been relegated):

Motherwell - 17 (02/03), Dundee - 19 (04/05), Dunfermline - 14 (06/07), ICT -17 (08/09), Falkirk - 17(09/10), Hamilton - 14(10/11), Dunfermline - 17(11/12).

In summary, Dundee are looking very likely for the drop but contrary to some folks pre-season predictions, Dundee do not appear likely to accrue the lowest ever SPL tally. They have already equalled Gretna's post 10pt deduction tally, and are only 5 away from Livingston's dreadful 18pts.

County

Although we've only played 21 games (so the 22/playing everyone twice thing doesn't really work) we've already surpassed the final season tallies of the following:

2001/02 - St Johnstone - 21pts (relegated)

2005/06 - Livingston - 18pts (relegated)

2007/08 - Gretna - 23pts/10pt deduction to 13pts (relegated)

Another win, and you'll be able to throw 2 more teams into that list.

In all likelihood, my stats about avoiding relegation are pretty pointless. We're sitting very pretty, and looking like moving up the table if anything. But still, I love stats. I probably won't do many more because of this though.

In the process of going through some stuff at my parents house, dumping old rubbish. In a dusty drawer I just found a match programme from Gordon Connelly's testimonial (against Hearts) from as far as I can tell 1997. There are a couple of others, but that's the most interesting. Nice thing to flick through even if it mostly just adverts!

In the process of going through some stuff at my parents house, dumping old rubbish. In a dusty drawer I just found a match programme from Gordon Connelly's testimonial (against Hearts) from as far as I can tell 1997. There are a couple of others, but that's the most interesting. Nice thing to flick through even if it mostly just adverts!

Cracking find! That the game when G.O. played a blinder and we pulled it to 4-4 in the second half??

We maybe got pumped 4-2 and he was shite, but in my hazy memory I'm sure it was something like that... I worshipped G.O. at the time and that was one of his last games for us (if not the last, and if I have the right game). That was a great Hearts team, I remember being in awe of their players. Played against most of them a year or two back in a charity game (I'm based in Edinburgh) and it was surreal.

My mum was at a function thing in Dingwall the night of Goggsy's testimonial, and the Hearts team turned up after the game. Pasquale Bruno and Stefano Salvatori ended up blazing with Bruno putting on the moves and trying to get my mum to sit on his knee. No idea if she did but she came back with a programme signed by all the Hearts players... I was happy with that. God know's where it is, be worth hunting down. You've inpired me :)

Edited by dingdong1929

Has Mcmenamin played much this season? We are apparently looking to sign him.

You'd be better asking VikingTON, he's bang on about all things McMenamenamenamin.

(He's played plenty but the SPL seems a just a bit too much for him. He will still have more than enough guile for the 1st Division though)

Edited by FilthyMack

Cracking find! That the game when G.O. played a blinder and we pulled it to 4-4 in the second half??

We maybe got pumped 4-2 and he was shite, but in my hazy memory I'm sure it was something like that... I worshipped G.O. at the time and that was one of his last games for us (if not the last, and if I have the right game). That was a great Hearts team, I remember being in awe of their players. Played against most of them a year or two back in a charity game (I'm based in Edinburgh) and it was surreal.

My mum was at a function thing in Dingwall the night of Goggsy's testimonial, and the Hearts team turned up after the game. Pasquale Bruno and Stefano Salvatori ended up blazing with Bruno putting on the moves and trying to get my mum to sit on his knee. No idea if she did but she came back with a programme signed by all the Hearts players... I was happy with that. God know's where it is, be worth hunting down. You've inpired me :)

Aye, was 4-4. McCann hat-trick & Weir for them, Grant & MacPherson both got 2 for us.

Pasquale Bruno was a bit of a psycho, wasn't he? Granted my memory of 97 is foggy but he seemed intimidating. I'd certainly not want to sit on his knee! And you're right, a pretty good Hearts side that, they brought up their first team which was good of them.

Swap him for Tidser in the summer. Deal?

Edited by forkboy

You'd be better asking VikingTON, he's bang on about all things McMenamenamenamin.

(He's played plenty but the SPL seems a just a bit too much for him. He will still have more than enough guile for the 1st Division though)

Thanks mate. He could turn out to be a cracking signing and help us push for promotion. :)

Half of his appearances this season have probably been as a sub. Still has the brains but has struggled with fitness, there was a rumour he has a degenerative hip injury and I don't know if that is true or not.

Will still get goals if given opportunities in the box.

Did a great job for us in Div1 and a mainstay of the 40 unbeaten team.

Aye, was 4-4. McCann hat-trick & Weir for them, Grant & MacPherson both got 2 for us.

Pasquale Bruno was a bit of a psycho, wasn't he? Granted my memory of 97 is foggy but he seemed intimidating. I'd certainly not want to sit on his knee! And you're right, a pretty good Hearts side that, they brought up their first team which was good of them.

Swap him for Tidser in the summer. Deal?

Aye, Bruno was a psycho from my memory too. Class, but a psycho. But then, you've not met my mum.

That was a great game, the comeback in the 2nd half and seeing all the old HIghland League boys playing so well and enjoying their football was tremendous. One of the best match experiences of my young life, bizarrely for a friendly. Glad I remembered it was 4-4, remembered the goal-scorers but the actual result was hazy. Cheers forkboy