The General Ross County Chat Thread

I'd be quite happy to sign him as long as he is on low wages, partly because if he does sign, he will really want to be here to prove a point. He is exactly the type of player Del has gone for in the past, players looking to resurrect their career and get on the straight and narrow.

My only concern is that if we sign Riordan then it has to fit in with the squad....i.e. not on a hugely inflated wage compared to the rest of the squad. If he's willing to commit to a lower wage and move up then it's a potentialy great chance for County.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

My only concern is that if we sign Riordan then it has to fit in with the squad....i.e. not on a hugely inflated wage compared to the rest of the squad. If he's willing to commit to a lower wage and move up then it's a potentialy great chance for County.

If you sign that rat hope you go down....

He was finished when he left us the second time. Didn't do anything in China and failed to impress at St Johnstone last season along with a host of other clubs on trial this summer. Have always hoped he'd return to his old self but dosent seem likely, unless Adams can work some magic that is. Complete waste of talent.

Edited by Hibernian1875

Tokely and Riordan. Are County purposely building a team of arseholes?

Who else is out there for us to sign upfront? I mean it's pretty clear that if McMenamin is our #1 striker then goals are going to be extremely hard to come by. If the best option is an arrogant underachieving ned then that's the best option. Shite but we're a newly promoted team on a budget. Besides, lets not forget, our manager punched one of his players after a game, so he's got to be Arsehole Number 1 for Ross County tongue.gif

I'll be surprised if we do end up bringing Riordan in. He didn't exactly set the heather on fire at St Johnstone, he's not the player that he once was, could well disrupt the dressing room with his attitude. But if that's who Derek wants then he's earned our trust by this point.

I can't see it happening, but I would be delighted if we could get Riordan. His performance in the 1st half of the 2-2 draw at Easter Road in the cup in 2010 was one of the best I've seen live.

With the notable exceptions of the Sean Higgins incident and Rocco Quinn's "Bingate", I can't think of any issues with County players behaving badly since Adams first took over in 2007. The humble surroundings of the Highlands and being away from his ned pals in Edinburgh might help Riordan screw the nut and allow him to finally concentrate on playing football.

Adams could have a word with Inverness Pubwatch to ensure that Riordan is pre-barred from every pub and club in town.

His temperament is questionable, but I would argue that with Adams as manager, and senior players such as Brittain, Tokely, Munro, etc in the squad, there is more leadership than at previous clubs - especially hibs where they have been lacking leadership for a long time now.

If we sign them we can only speculate as to whether he can be controlled, and whether he can perform, but we have to try something to get a bit of creativity in the team. He's got that little bit about him and has the talent to do what he wants on the pitch (it's about whether he really wants to or not).

For all that Adams does tend to sign players with points to prove, sometimes with baggage of alleged attitude problems etc, they tend to be young players with potential. Riordan obviously isnt young and instead of realising his potential is trying to recapture something he last showed at this level a while ago.

He has undeniable natural talent and could be brilliant for us, but he hasnt done anything in a couple of seasons, will likely want more than we can afford, and seems to have real behaviour problems. That and we have a pretty big squad now, would this see someone out on loan, released, or just sat in the stands frustrated? Torn with this one, but as said, I trust Adams judgement a lot more than our's. This isnt Craig Levein we're talking about here ;)

Edited by dingdong1929

To be honest, I would be more worried about what he could bring as a player rather than his temperament. He looked finished as a player in the appearances he made at saints.

I can well believe it. But end of the day, got to trust that the manager who got us from Division 2 to the SPL & a cup final knows what he's doing. I'm not going to be hugely enthused by the signing but then I'm not hugely enthused by Colin McMenamin as our main attacking threat either. But I don't expect we'll meet his wage demands anyway so it's a moot point