The General Ross County Chat Thread

Foreign cult hero is a must.

Jonathan Tuffey's interview was in the paper the other day saying he loves it in Inverness but may have to move this summer due to lack of games. Out of contract so I'd take him at County right away. Cerny is a good shout too.

Edited by staggy4life

Foreign cult hero is a must.

Jonathan Tuffey's interview was in the paper the other day saying he loves it in Inverness but may have to move this summer due to lack of games. Out of contract so I'd take him at County right away. Cerny is a good shout too.

He's a very good goal-keeper. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to usurp Esson, who I've always thought was a touch over-rated.

I 'favourited' this tweet by @SPLstats some time ago. It has Esson bottom of the table after 24 matches, of saves from shots on target. His was at 62%, with Gallacher at 68% and the rest ranging from 70-87%.

It is difficult to judge purely on that stat, because you cannot quantify how good a chance the shot on target comes from, but it doesn't look good for Esson when, at the same point in time, he had the third fewest shots fired at him per match, on average. Mind you, Tokely plays centre-back now.

I'd be surprised if Tuffey 's % would be worse than that if he was given a run, given how he sometimes kept Partick Thistle in matches by himself.

I think County this season are far stronger than Dunfermline were last season.

Stronger certainly, but then Dunfermline were the worst first division champions in a long time other than the Gretna side who backed into promotion. It's not saying an awful lot. The first division has been a lot weaker this season than in most of the last decade too which has certainly helped in County running away with it. A Dundee side nowhere near as good as last year's is going to finish runner up most likely. Other than Falkirk for spells there hasn't been another decent side in the division.

County may do ok but you aren't anywhere near as good as either ICT or Falkirk were when they first went up. Possibly comparable to Accies and St Johnstone. I think you have a good chance of hitting the ground running and getting enough early points on the board to stay up but you'll probably also need Hibs, Inverness or another established SPL side to have a bad season. The biggest assets you may have are a full and noisy Victoria Park if you are allowed to use it and the remote location which probably means visiting clubs won't especially want to come up. Home form is crucial, especially if you are forced to play half a season in Inverness as seems likely.

Home form is crucial, especially if you are forced to play half a season in Inverness as seems likely.

Seems likely? It is very unlikely. Victoria Park will be ready for the SPL start.

Seems likely? It is very unlikely. Victoria Park will be ready for the SPL start.

But it won't be ready for this Saturday night will it?

County appear to be relying on an exemption to the 31st March deadline everyone else has been made to adhere to. Good luck if you get that but I'd be surprised.

I have to say I'm quite surprised to read about boring, boring County. Are County really a boring, long-ball outfit?

It's funny, as back when we won the First Division first time out, County were the ineffectual, tippy-tappy, pass-the-ball-about-in-the-centre-circle-but-never-score team. Especially funny to hear Billy Reid moaning about boring football :lol:

Do County fans think that you will try and stick with teh current squad for the SPL or will you make a lot of changes?

If scoring 51 goals in 29 games, while conceding only 24 goals is boring, then I like boring football !

I always took long ball to be a punt out of defence by the center back or keeper, up to a big center forward, who heads it goalwards.

That's not been us.

Yes we've hit long ball, but I'd say they were more 50-60 yard diagonal passes to the feet of the forwards running into the channels. That's not long ball in my opinion.

We also still do the tipppy tappy passing stuff, holding onto the ball, moving the opposition defence, then we'll get the defence splitting pass. Is this what Pressley was refering to 'Percentage football' ?

As for the squad, I think most of it will stay the same - Maybe a couple of additions, but I'd think we'd have to get rid of some players in order to take others in.

The meeting is on the 29th. Caley did not have any agreement in place by the 31st March deadline. Still got promoted. Hamilton did not have 6,000 seats by the 31st March deadline. They got promoted.

I would be surprised to see the SPL veto us. However Roy McGregor isn't the sort of man to take things lying down. I think he would relish the battle if we were veto'd.

The meeting is on the 29th. Caley did not have any agreement in place by the 31st March deadline. Still got promoted. Hamilton did not have 6,000 seats by the 31st March deadline. They got promoted.

I would be surprised to see the SPL veto us. However Roy McGregor isn't the sort of man to take things lying down. I think he would relish the battle if we were veto'd.

Nobody is suggesting you wont get promoted, just that you may be made to play half a season elsewhere as indeed Caley were. Accies is a fair point but they only needed a few hundred seats added in an already empty area on a temporary stand. County are doing something far more significant. I will be impressed if it is done in four months anyway. I will be delighted to be wrong but my guess says you will start the season in Inverness.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

if on a free/season loan, then I'd be more than happy to see him back. Never had trouble with us, and we can rest assured if he was to break a lads jaw in training again, then Derek would just break his one back!

I see Jamie Langfield is putting the feelers out for a new club. Could he be a target for us?

would have more faith in Langfield than Fraser. The latter just makes me a little jumpy...

if on a free/season loan, then I'd be more than happy to see him back. Never had trouble with us, and we can rest assured if he was to break a lads jaw in training again, then Derek would just break his one back!

would have more faith in Langfield than Fraser. The latter just makes me a little jumpy...

I wouldn't write of either of these, although I'm not sure how Scott would fit into our now settled midfield. I would hope we would keep our midfield 4 the same for next season with Quinn as the player on rotation. Perhaps bring in some wingers for options though.

Langfield (despite the occassional clanger) would certainly do us a decent job.