The General Ross County Chat Thread

Sounds like a lot of shite, tbh.

There was an "alleged" falling out between the two players, with Butcher "allegedly" siding with Foran. There's no reason to doubt the "alleged" events, especially if the rumours around Inverness are true (which they usually are, particularly if they originated in the Heathmount :P ).

There was an "alleged" falling out between the two players, with Butcher "allegedly" siding with Foran. There's no reason to doubt the "alleged" events, especially if the rumours around Inverness are true (which they usually are, particularly if they originated in the Heathmount :P ).

There's part truths there I think, more to do with certain people getting preferential treatment over others than individuals as such and also Butcher wanting to build 'his team' who didn't like it when players dared to complain about certain issues. At least that's what I heard! One thing's for sure Foran could walk on the park, take a dump on the centre spot, pick it up, fling it at Butcher and he'd still be the first name on the team sheet. He is the golden boy.

Sounds like a lot of shite, tbh.

Anyway, I only came on to congratulate Ross County who, without sounding patronising, will be a tremendous addition to the SPL. Have the manager and work ethic to stay up. Strengthen the squad, particularly in the striking department and I can see County establishing themselves up there. Best of luck.

That`ll be the gunslinging desperado, bounty hunter, goals per game, pay as you play waste of money etc, etc ...yawn! ..... getting a two year deal then....

Looks like Scott Morrison will be leaving at the end of the season as he lives near me and his house is for sale.

Someone mentioned that to me about October time when he wasn't getting a game. House is obviously struggling to sell... :rolleyes:

Derek Adams was on Sportsound tonight. A selection of his comments (I'm paraphrasing):

Other teams are shifting the focus onto County's style of play because they are trying to account for their own failings.

County play a few triangle passes between midfield and defence then knock a diagonal ball to the wing, before a cross comes in and there's the goal. That's not "long-ball" football.

County have a 5ft 6in striker, it doesn't really make sense to say County only play the long-ball.

"We're delighted with the progress we're making".

The best manager in the division by a clear distance greggy.png

John Hughes is the best manager in the division, as shown by his success.

Maybe his past successes but we're talking about the here and now.

Adams:

Table-topping team (for over 5 months).

27 games unbeaten in the league.

Managing the pressure of having the "biggest budget" and the "biggest squad".

What. A. Guy. Give him the manager of the year award and let's be done with it.

Edited by yoda

Having a quick look around, I believe it's a race between ourselves and Celtic to see who wins the first league title in Britain this season.

We're 17 ahead with 21 to play for, Celtic are 18 ahead with 21 to play for. So we're both relying on points dropped by the chasing teams to seal the respective titles this weekend. We have the advantage of playing on Saturday however, whereas they don't play till Sunday.

( You've got to set yourself goals people :ph34r: )

I have to say I'm quite surprised to read about boring, boring County. Are County really a boring, long-ball outfit?

It's funny, as back when we won the First Division first time out, County were the ineffectual, tippy-tappy, pass-the-ball-about-in-the-centre-circle-but-never-score team. Especially funny to hear Billy Reid moaning about boring football :lol:

Do County fans think that you will try and stick with teh current squad for the SPL or will you make a lot of changes?

I have to say I'm quite surprised to read about boring, boring County. Are County really a boring, long-ball outfit?

It's funny, as back when we won the First Division first time out, County were the ineffectual, tippy-tappy, pass-the-ball-about-in-the-centre-circle- but-never-score team. Especially funny to hear Billy Reid moaning about boring football :lol:

Do County fans think that you will try and stick with teh current squad for the SPL or will you make a lot of changes?

Course we aren't. It's bitterness, nothing more. A couple of managers have made retarded comments in an attempt to gee up their own team's confidence. And one or two less discerning fans have joined in. What accounts for "boring football" these days is not pissing about at the back, having a solid back four, and not going health for leather for 90 minutes. Oh, and waltzing the league. Billy Reid's comments were laughed at even by Hamilton fans, but Pressley and McNamara should know better.

I think County this season are far stronger than Dunfermline were last season. I think our squad will only lose one player, Gardyne, who has had his best season by quite a distance this year but is replaceable. I think we'll sign a couple of starters - left back, number 10, perhaps a keeper, but generally there won't be too much change I wouldn't have thought.

County were the ineffectual, tippy-tappy, pass-the-ball-about-in-the-centre-circle-but-never-score team.

For many years, and usually praised by other managers for "playing good football, can't understand why they are near the bottom..."

Now that we are winning, we are boring, long-ball merchants.

I think County this season are far stronger than Dunfermline were last season. I think our squad will only lose one player, Gardyne, who has had his best season by quite a distance this year but is replaceable. I think we'll sign a couple of starters - left back, number 10, perhaps a keeper, but generally there won't be too much change I wouldn't have thought.

Pretty much this. Perhaps some more/improved back-up options and that'd be all that would be needed I'd say.

In fact, where's Vander? He'll give you the Norwich argument, which I whole heartedly agree with.

Norwich, Swansea and QPR, the three promoted teams to the EPL last year, are case and point as to why we shouldn't try to drastically change the squad. The desire and togetherness that the first two have shown has proved way more effective than signing million pound journeymen on silly wages.

That said I think we need a replacement for Gardyne and a few more players to add a bit of squad depth in key areas for when injuries/suspensions kick in.

It's funny, as back when we won the First Division first time out, County were the ineffectual, tippy-tappy, pass-the-ball-about-in-the-centre-circle-but-never-score team. Especially funny to hear Billy Reid moaning about boring football :lol:

Since Paul Scholes has come back into the Man United side, he has been picking the ball up in midfield and spraying 40 yards passes to advancing midfielders or full backs. I doubt anyone would have the gall to call Man United a long ball side. County are the best passing side in the league, while the likes of Vigurs and Brittain find themselves in advanced positions in the opponents half. Lawson especially has been finding them with lofted passes to feet.

We are certainly more direct than we have been in the past, however in the season we made the Cup Final and Caley won the league we were a very direct team then as well. We ran out of steam that year. In fact that year Caley also played diagonal balls for Foran and Hayes to run on to. They were not a long ball side. Pressley is a greeting faced whinger, and he has been ever since Munro turned the mighty Falkirk down to join our diddy side.

While as ICT Chris states Billy Reid does not have a right to slag anyone for negative football, as his Clyde sides and early Hamilton sides played six in defence to kill a game and get a draw.

Since we came back into the First Division I think we are the best side that have been competing. I think the only areas that previous promoted sides are better than us, would be Caley in attack, and I believe all promoted sides have had better keepers. I don't think we will have to make wholescale changes to be competitive. We are certainly a better side than Dunfermline currently, stronger defence and midfield. From a County perspective if Jim Jeffries kept them up, it would be a welcomne bonus.

Edited by Loki

I'd like:

Right-back (cover)

Winger

Replacement for Gardyne

Tall striker

Foreign cult-hero

I'n not too fussed about:

Goalkeeper (Cerny could be a shout though)

I'm hoping County keep:

Fraser

Miller

Boyd

Flynn

Morrison

Brittain

Lawson

Kettlewell

Vigurs

Cooper

Byrne

(+ anyone under contract for another year)

What's the rule with regards to under-21s on the bench? The guy MacPhee seems to have done very well at Elgin this season, so I guess he'll be on the bench next season?