The General Ross County Chat Thread

Also surprised no First Division club has given a chance to Mikey McGowan who was with us last season, an excellent wide player.

You mean given him a chance now? :unsure:

I'm presuming you know he's played plenty at this level before with us and more particularly Clyde (Graham Roberts days).

I wouldn't disagree actually. He wasn't a bad player at this level and when I saw him play at Annan in the playoffs he was the best player on the park. His problem in his previous period with us was his best position was wing back in a 3-5-2 but at the time we played 4-4-2 and he couldn't really find a first team slot. Not solid enough defensively to play full back and not really attacking enough to be a wide midfielder, though we did use him there from time to time.

Rocco Quinn has signed a 2 year deal.

Apparently he isn't good enough for Queen of the South, according to the first comment concerning him on the County Facebook page. Let's hope these people don't find their way onto here.

Edited by yoda

You mean given him a chance now? :unsure:

I'm presuming you know he's played plenty at this level before with us and more particularly Clyde (Graham Roberts days).

I wouldn't disagree actually. He wasn't a bad player at this level and when I saw him play at Annan in the playoffs he was the best player on the park. His problem in his previous period with us was his best position was wing back in a 3-5-2 but at the time we played 4-4-2 and he couldn't really find a first team slot. Not solid enough defensively to play full back and not really attacking enough to be a wide midfielder, though we did use him there from time to time.

Yes.

His form last season was excellent and I would have thought he would do a job as a wide midfield player in Division 1 easily enough, I'd rather him in my team than Swankie.

See my edit :P

I was just about to edit my post as I seen it on Facebook.

Every Queens fan I've asked on here says he's a good player so that'll do me.

I'm glad Adams said today he might try move on a couple players on as the squad is rather large.

He has. Had a decent 6 month start to his County career a couple years ago up front but the next 18months he was very poor. Far better wide right.

Sounds to me like Adams' brash man management style didn't pay off for Paul. No doubt Moore recognises what he got from him in the past and will have him back to his pre-County best.

Quinn is a great signing for Ross County. Very good footballing player who can at times control games on his own. His absence along with Weatherstons near the end of last season was exposed badly and I for one wish him well for the future. Meanwhile we get Steven Crappy Simmons to provide neither attacking flair nor defensive stability to our team :(

Sounds to me like Adams' brash man management style didn't pay off for Paul. No doubt Moore recognises what he got from him in the past and will have him back to his pre-County best.

Killie and PArtick fans would be happy to see that ;)

He was mince for McStay and Calderwood as well, and other than Adams' run-in wth Higgins (who by all accounts is a fanny, but that's old old very over-trodden ground) I've never heard anyone say anything about his man-management. The players on the whole seem delighted to have him back and it apparently convinced a couple to sign on. Your trust in Moore is endearing though :)

I liked him out wide, or off a main striker, and he seems a good guy. Was not able to cope at all with the lone striker role though, really not his game. I hope he does alright for you lot, but obviously not too well....

He will sign on Monday not signed yet.You have got a good attacking Midfielder good signing for County.You have a good squad this season will be in the top 4.

With a squad like that, second is nowhere...

With a squad like that, second is nowhere...

The board do seem to be pushing out the boat a bit this year. But I still can't imagine us as favours to win the league next year, eternally the pessimist. Top 3 would have me chuffed.

I think Del has a plan with the strikers, with Byrne's reputed pace I wouldn't be surprised to see him play off McMenamin. Gardyne and possibly Craig and Morrow could well play that role too. Only problem is, having not seen the team yet, I'm not too sure who could fill in for McMenamin should he be injured/suspended.

We're apparently not done yet though. Whether that just means Swankie, or more I don't know.

As regards players possibly going still, Wood and Corcoran must surely top the list. There's reported interest in Gardyne. Other than that the only players who were getting less game time and haven't recieved new deals recently would be Craig and Lawson.

Munro, Duncan, Quinn, Byrne and Morrow are all superfluous to an extent (excellent as some of them are). Swankie is the signing County need, to have an option wide-right. I'd be disappointed if County's excessive budget didn't stretch for the player they could actually do with having, leaving them to play their centre-forwards on the wing again.

@Dingdong, Giaco was brilliant up front on his own against Caley and against Dundee at Dens. The movement between Giaco and Gardyne behind him was something else. What Giaco fell victim to was a lack of confidence [starting] from Adams's rotation of his forwards pre-Barrowman.

Edited by bunglebonce

Very good squad with defence and midfielder being particularly strong but still an average strikeforce I'd say.

I would go along with that. Also I'm not entirely confident about the goalkeeper situation.

@Dingdong, Giaco was brilliant up front on his own against Caley and against Dundee at Dens. The movement between Giaco and Gardyne behind him was something else. What Giaco fell victim to was a lack of confidence [starting] from Adams's rotation of his forwards pre-Barrowman.

Was more for the games against the likes of Partick where he would just get bullied off the ball, not enough physical strnegth to hold the ball up, and not enough space to move into with the ball to hold it up. I did like him, and he certainly had his good games, but if he was ever isolated up there (as happened to most folk asked to play up front for us last year), he was quickly bullied out the game. Always tried though. Obviously confidence played a big role too.