The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought he was good against us on Saturday, has he been that good all season?

He's been a little up and down, but he was by far and away the most creative midfielder we had in the middle.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He’s a much better player this season.  He’s another player who came alive under Mackay.  I wouldn’t vouch on that continuing, but he’s generally been much better than advertised.  

He basically pushed past Harry Paton in terms of influence in central midfield, and I don’t think too many folk saw that coming.  

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He’s a solid player, who I think struggled to hold down a spot in our starting XI due to the form of Hungbo and RCC as fellow attacking midfielders. He’s a reliable captain type guy, and I think he would be a boost to most teams in the league. 

9 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Nor had I. From what he showed on Saturday Sims looks like a quality player for next season.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Nor had I. From what he showed on Saturday Sims looks like a quality player for next season.

Trying no to go too overboard from one appearance (remember Simon Power?) but aye, I liked what I saw of Sims. Looks quite up for a scrap as well.

56 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Trying no to go too overboard from one appearance (remember Simon Power?) but aye, I liked what I saw of Sims. Looks quite up for a scrap as well.

Impossible to gauge from 40 minutes but...

Spoiler

he's the next Craig Curran

What are Ross County's fans thoughts on Kettlewell? Only crossed him in the title winning season where he seemed to do well enough. 

This is all my personal opinion on his tenure in general but the majority of fans I’ve spoken to have the same reflections.

His first role in a coaching capacity was with the Under 20s if I’m not mistaken. Whilst winning the 20s league was a great achievement, we had many first team players (often first choice) playing in matches and the majority of our younger players had been sourced from larger clubs who had released boys as they weren’t good enough. These boys then didn’t get a sniff of the first team whilst both McIntyre and Coyle were in charge and were all subsequently released.

When we were relegated to the Championship, the board took the cheap option and appointed Fergie and Ketts as it was the cheap option. In my opinion, we had a very good squad for the Championship yet made extremely hard of work of winning a bang average division (Ayr were a one man team, United were poor, rest were jobbers). Nonetheless, we got promoted and won a cup and in general it was a decent season.

The 2019/20 season was generally fairly boring. We conceded lots of goals and very rarely dominated games. In fact, only win I can recall from that season that we were actually dominant in was a 3-0 win v Accies in the very first game of the season. Pretty confident that we would’ve been relegated that season if it hadn’t been cut short.

Next season, Fergie moved upstairs and Ketts was given the role himself. I try to forget that season as it was generally brutal and there were no fans, but the football we played was turgid and our defending at times was laughable (regularly conceding 3/4 goals in matches). He was sacked after a 2-0 defeat to Hamilton in what may be the worst game of football I’ve seen from a Ross County side and there’s been some amount of shite.

One thing I will say was his recruitment was generally very decent. In his tenure, we signed Jamie Lindsay, Ross Stewart, Spittal and Charles-Cook who were all successful at County. However, he also signed Joe Chalmers, Simon Power and Coll Donaldson. That being said, I’m not actually sure how much of a recruitment team we had during his tenure so I don’t really know how much say he had in those transfers.

Reading this back in summary, it seems as if I dont have a good word to say on the guy. He used to have a lovely house although I’m unsure if he still loves up here. Genuinely do wish the guy well though as he is very well thought of up here as a player.

Ketts as a player - legend

As a person - seems like a lovely bloke

As a coach - possibly what he'd do well at

As a manager- absolutely out of his depth at Championship level.

His tactics are start 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, then switch to two up front if we are losing then go 4-2-4 (in the second tier). In the top tier? Being shite up front and in defence was about it.

We made some work of the Championship where Ayr relied totally on Moffat and Shankland before falling away and Dundee Utd being utterly rancid under Laszlo (if Neilson had been in charge all season I think they'd have managed to shitebag the league by grinding out 1-0's). Even the cup final summed him up- utterly rotten in the first half and lucky not to be 3-0 down before Mullin turned it round.

On 20/05/2022 at 13:57, Matty-RCFC said:

This is all my personal opinion on his tenure in general but the majority of fans I’ve spoken to have the same reflections.

His first role in a coaching capacity was with the Under 20s if I’m not mistaken. Whilst winning the 20s league was a great achievement, we had many first team players (often first choice) playing in matches and the majority of our younger players had been sourced from larger clubs who had released boys as they weren’t good enough. These boys then didn’t get a sniff of the first team whilst both McIntyre and Coyle were in charge and were all subsequently released.

When we were relegated to the Championship, the board took the cheap option and appointed Fergie and Ketts as it was the cheap option. In my opinion, we had a very good squad for the Championship yet made extremely hard of work of winning a bang average division (Ayr were a one man team, United were poor, rest were jobbers). Nonetheless, we got promoted and won a cup and in general it was a decent season.

The 2019/20 season was generally fairly boring. We conceded lots of goals and very rarely dominated games. In fact, only win I can recall from that season that we were actually dominant in was a 3-0 win v Accies in the very first game of the season. Pretty confident that we would’ve been relegated that season if it hadn’t been cut short.

Next season, Fergie moved upstairs and Ketts was given the role himself. I try to forget that season as it was generally brutal and there were no fans, but the football we played was turgid and our defending at times was laughable (regularly conceding 3/4 goals in matches). He was sacked after a 2-0 defeat to Hamilton in what may be the worst game of football I’ve seen from a Ross County side and there’s been some amount of shite.

One thing I will say was his recruitment was generally very decent. In his tenure, we signed Jamie Lindsay, Ross Stewart, Spittal and Charles-Cook who were all successful at County. However, he also signed Joe Chalmers, Simon Power and Coll Donaldson. That being said, I’m not actually sure how much of a recruitment team we had during his tenure so I don’t really know how much say he had in those transfers.

Reading this back in summary, it seems as if I dont have a good word to say on the guy. He used to have a lovely house although I’m unsure if he still loves up here. Genuinely do wish the guy well though as he is very well thought of up here as a player.

He and his family moved to the Falkirk area just over a year ago

20 hours ago, Comrie said:

We've picked up a five figure fee for Ross Stewart getting Sunderland promoted.

That doesn’t seem like very much, but I’m sure there’s an international clause in there too, and an appearance fee, so it’ll all add up. 

edit: makes me furious about how little we got for Liam Boyce.  

Edited by Savage Henry