The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 09/04/2022 at 22:56, Loki said:

4th = Group Stage Playoff.

5th = Round Before the playoff.

So if we were to finish 4th we would have one tie to make the Group Stage.  5th we would need to get through two ties to make the group stage.  If Hibs were to win the cup, only 4th place would qualify in the league and we would need to navigate two ties for the Group Stage.

It's a round earlier than what you said. 4th place puts you in the 3rd qualifying round and finishing 5th puts you in the 2nd qualifying round. So will be either 2 or 3 rounds to win to get to the groups. County will likely be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round so that will be a winnable game. 3rd qualifying round will be unseeded and against a very strong side. Could get a team like Feyenoord or Braga but teams from the top 5 leagues don't enter until the play-off so very unlikely you get a Spurs or Roma. 

10 hours ago, Buckets said:

It's a round earlier than what you said. 4th place puts you in the 3rd qualifying round and finishing 5th puts you in the 2nd qualifying round. So will be either 2 or 3 rounds to win to get to the groups. County will likely be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round so that will be a winnable game. 3rd qualifying round will be unseeded and against a very strong side. Could get a team like Feyenoord or Braga but teams from the top 5 leagues don't enter until the play-off so very unlikely you get a Spurs or Roma. 

Cheers for the correction.  Either way any European adventure would be wild.

My first game as a county fan was the 11-0 win over St Cuthbert in 1993. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine standing in the Jailend that day there could be the possibility I might watch the likes of Feyenoord, Spurs etc in a European tie in Dingwall.

A long, long way to go before we reach that point of course, but to even come remotely close to the possibility of this happening is in itself an incredible achievement.

There have been many historic moments in this clubs history, the Scottish cup final appearance, League cup win and promotions, but to make our debut in Europe would be up there with the best we have achieved. Exciting times ahead.

Edited by silver

Celtic (H) - Sunday 24th (2:30pm)
Hearts (A) - Saturday 30th (3:00pm)
Motherwell (H) - Saturday 7th (3:00pm)
Rangers (A) - Wednesday 11th (7:45pm)
United (H) - Saturday 14th (3:00pm)

In all honesty, I think that’s the perfect fixtures. Having had a look at Motherwell’s games, they’ve got a far harder run than us - two home games against Hearts and Rangers. For me, beating them at home is an absolute necessity if we’re going to finish 5th. Hopefully we’ll take a big support to Hearts too for the last away Sat 3pm of the season. Can’t see us getting anymore than 6pts, but we didn’t think we’d get 4 from our last 3 games to make it here in the first place…

12 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Celtic (H) - Sunday 24th (2:30pm)
Hearts (A) - Saturday 30th (3:00pm)
Motherwell (H) - Saturday 7th (3:00pm)
Rangers (A) - Wednesday 11th (7:45pm)
United (H) - Saturday 14th (3:00pm)

In all honesty, I think that’s the perfect fixtures. Having had a look at Motherwell’s games, they’ve got a far harder run than us - two home games against Hearts and Rangers. For me, beating them at home is an absolute necessity if we’re going to finish 5th. Hopefully we’ll take a big support to Hearts too for the last away Sat 3pm of the season. Can’t see us getting anymore than 6pts, but we didn’t think we’d get 4 from our last 3 games to make it here in the first place…

I'll not bother with the first one but will go to to the Hearts match, then the two Saturday home games. 

Hopefully we'll do enough to get a European place 🤞

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Did he not sign a long term deal?  

A 7 year deal on £14,000 a week - he has personally ensured that even if we did qualify for Europe, our licence would be stone deid in the water. Period. At least that's what the seething diddies on Twitter are spouting so it must be gospel.

Edited by central staggie

9 hours ago, grantmacp said:

Not sure if the question has been asked recently but is Josh Sims still with the club is he the new Danny Griffin

I'd thought that he'd been on the bench recently but after a quick check it appears that the last time Josh Simms managed the bench, was 19th Feb, away loss to hibs.

Is there a space for him in the team though, who would you drop, Charles-Cook, Hungbo, Spittal? I don't think he gets game time even if he was fit.

18 hours ago, grantmacp said:

Not sure if the question has been asked recently but is Josh Sims still with the club is he the new Danny Griffin

I get the vibe he was signed as a replacement for Hungbo for next season as the chances of us getting him back are very slim.

On 11/04/2022 at 13:39, silver said:

My first game as a county fan was the 11-0 win over St Cuthbert in 1993.

Mine too! My second was an absolutely fucking brutal game at Telford Street against Caley that I'm 80% sure was a 0-0 & that 9 year old me was convinced County should've gotten a stonewall penalty.

I don't know about getting Hungbo back. Watford are one of those teams that loan out 30 players a year. If they stay up I'd say there was a chance (though I have no idea how likely that is because English football is about as interesting to me as cricket), not a big one but 5% is more than 0%.

I seem to recall @Loki saying something on Twitter about the highlights from that game and that Don Cowie was ball boy? Think you can see him at the start here (if the story is true of course).