The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Two year deal for Connor Randall 👍

More to come hopefully...

Have a helping dose of versatile reserve player Ben Paton.  The social media intern is trolling the club’s fans. 

19 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Have a helping dose of versatile reserve player Ben Paton.  The social media intern is trolling the club’s fans. 

Yeah, not one that I expected to be given an extended contract but the coaching staff must obviously see something that they can develop in him.  We've not really seen much off him for a while now.

I'd like to see Spittal & Iacovitti signed up too. Not overly bothered with the rest but squad continuity might be nice for a change.

For County:

If we draw we need Motherwell to beat Livi, Hearts to beat Hibs by four and St Mirren to lose.

If we win we need United to lose or Hibs to drop points or Motherwell to lose by the same margin we win by to remain above Livi.  If two of the outcomes above happen we will qualify with any win.

Huge game at Pittodrie on Saturday. Hopefully not as atrocious as the last game up here.

Seen a few folk think we may be in for Considine if he doesn't get a new deal., but he's from Aberdeen (or close by) and is on nearly double our top earner so I don't see where this has come from.

12 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Top 6 Bay Bay. 

That should put to bed the reasoning behind Malkys appointment. Top 6 in 1st season

It was an incredible finish but the concern about Malky's appointment (and I speak for myself rather than anyone else) wasn't about results on the park, though when they were bad it was certainly easier to call for his head. And finishing in the Top 6, an incredible achievement, does not actually change any of that. 

Which is a shame because I'd like to enjoy what is an absolutely incredible turnaround, especially as it's inevitable he'll be around for a while. But it'd be pretty pathetic for someone to spend months being mad about the racism & homophobia & sexism like I did only to shrug my shoulders and go "oh well, time to enjoy the good times" because things turned around.

Purely from a footballing perspective the appointment has paid off, but none of my concerns have changed. I don't go on about it quite as much because I'm mostly resigned to the fact he'll still be in Dingwall in 12 months, that's all

The turnaround for a lot of the players has been great to see. Baldwin initially looked like the worst signing we’ve had in quite some time, to looking very dependable. Same with Iacovitti, who still looks a bomb scare at times, but has looked solid recently. Randall, who I didn’t really rate before, has looked very good at both right and left back. And off course RCC, who if he left at the end of last season I wouldn’t  have been bothered, to being up there as one of the top scorers in the league. Turns out he isn’t a wing back!

To only having 3 points from the first ten games, to then achieving a top six finish is an unbelievable achievement. Fair fucks to everyone involved.

27 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Top 6 Bay Bay. 

That should put to bed the reasoning behind Malkys appointment. Top 6 in 1st season

Footballing reasons, it was a sound appointment.

Off the field, the decision spat all over the "Community Club ethos" our chairman loves to spout, and the complete and utter shambles of PR in the weeks afterwards shows a lack of connection and ability to understand genuine concerns. 

I'm ecstatic that County have made top 6, frankly an unbelievable achievement, but while he's there I'm not going to be. 

Not quite the greatest escape as that still goes to Jim McIntyre’s last 9 games before the split in 2015.  But what an unlikely achievement after those first ten games.

And with United only a point ahead, we should all be rooting for a Hearts, Rangers or Celtic cup win.  European football is a realistic target.

Although Malky’s football redemption is clear for all to see, I still don’t see the contrition that would merit a full redemption.  Although David Martindale did something far more heinous than Mackay, the way he’s taken responsibility and ownership of what he’d done is a lesson for anyone looking for redemption.

Assuming one of Celtic, Rangers or Hearts win the Cup a European berth will await the teams that finish in the top 5.  4th will secure a Conference League playoff spot, and 5th will secure a place in the round before.  So we would need to finish above one of Motherwell or Dundee United.  Dundee's comeback from 2-0 down could be very important today.  We would use Scotland's co-efficient as a seed as we don't have a seeding, so we wouldn't likely to be seeded in any round.

There's potential to be a number of really big clubs in the playoff round.  Feyenoord, Spurs, Anderlecht and Roma were all in that playoff round this season.

With the top 6 fixtures likely to be announced Monday or Tuesday, we will be due home games against both Motherwell and Dundee United with a further home game against Celtic.  Away games are due against Rangers and Hearts.  It will give us a perfect split.  Something like United, Hearts, Motherwell, Rangers and then Celtic would be ideal.  Potentially getting both Old Firm teams with the title over.

Of course I’m getting miles ahead of myself and there’s plenty of work to do if we’re going to play in Europe next season, but does anyone what rounds would we enter in if we were to get into the Conference next season? Never had to take an interest in this sort of stuff before.

2 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Of course I’m getting miles ahead of myself and there’s plenty of work to do if we’re going to play in Europe next season, but does anyone what rounds would we enter in if we were to get into the Conference next season? Never had to take an interest in this sort of stuff before.

4th = Group Stage Playoff.

5th = Round Before the playoff.

So if we were to finish 4th we would have one tie to make the Group Stage.  5th we would need to get through two ties to make the group stage.  If Hibs were to win the cup, only 4th place would qualify in the league and we would need to navigate two ties for the Group Stage.

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

Even the thought of Roma or Spuds in Dingwall is absolutely wild.

The temptation to make hay with this would be churlish so as the dogs bark and the caravan moves on, I'd like to offer my congratulations.