The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, forkboy said:

tbh glad they are doing well. Still think neither is any worse than what we've replaced them with.

Well McKay is better than any of your current strikers for a start. 

On 17/10/2021 at 11:19, TheScarf said:

Thanks again.

Glad they're doing well, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it pains me every time "Goal for Caley... and it's Gardyne/McKay!" gets said on Open All Mics.

On 17/10/2021 at 10:42, Loki said:

Was a strange statement at the time, even more so the next day when the manager got appointed, and doubly so four months later when we are a shell of a club with a non-zero amount of fans boycotting the team.

Well McKay is better than any of your current strikers for a start. 

I still don’t think he’s good enough for premiership football anymore though. Especially towards the end of last season, everybody was saying they wouldn’t mind him being shipped on which was an indication as to him no longer be of the required standard.

However, I would agree that he’s better than anything we’ve currently got.

21 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I still don’t think he’s good enough for premiership football anymore though. Especially towards the end of last season, everybody was saying they wouldn’t mind him being shipped on which was an indication as to him no longer be of the required standard.

However, I would agree that he’s better than anything we’ve currently got.

The problem with letting 3/4s of your squad go before you've even gotten a manager in is there's no guarantee that the new manager isn't going to bring in a bunch of absolute duffers. See Malky Mackay this summer (& let's be real here, hardly the first summer County have done a massive squad overhaul only for it to turn out the new additions are, to put it politely, not up to scratch).

It was always a case that yeah, Billy McKay & Midge & Vigurs probably aren't good enough for the top flight. But at the time the question was "do I trust the club to bring in better players?" & even before Malky arrived the answer was "not really".

The problem with letting 3/4s of your squad go before you've even gotten a manager in is there's no guarantee that the new manager isn't going to bring in a bunch of absolute duffers. See Malky Mackay this summer (& let's be real here, hardly the first summer County have done a massive squad overhaul only for it to turn out the new additions are, to put it politely, not up to scratch).
It was always a case that yeah, Billy McKay & Midge & Vigurs probably aren't good enough for the top flight. But at the time the question was "do I trust the club to bring in better players?" & even before Malky arrived the answer was "not really".

I agree. And that’s solely down to Roy for appointing him and Malky for signing shite. But it still doesn’t negate that Billy Mckay isn’t good enough for the prem anymore.

29 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I agree. And that’s solely down to Roy for appointing him and Malky for signing shite. But it still doesn’t negate that Billy Mckay isn’t good enough for the prem anymore.

Are you suggesting he wouldn’t still be scoring goals in the Premiership in a better team like St Mirren or St Johnstone?

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Are you suggesting he wouldn’t still be scoring goals in the Premiership in a better team like St Mirren or St Johnstone?

I think that nobody came for him during the summer probably answers your question. Would he be better than Samuel on Saturday? Undoubtedly.

24 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

I think that nobody came for him during the summer probably answers your question. Would he be better than Samuel on Saturday? Undoubtedly.

That’s not the argument. County fans are suggesting he’s not good enough for the Premiership and I say that’s bullshit. He would’ve thrived at a better bottom 6 team last season.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That’s not the argument. County fans are suggesting he’s not good enough for the Premiership and I say that’s bullshit. He would’ve thrived at a better bottom 6 team last season.

Your opinion is obviously different to mine.

He scored 15 goals in 78 appearances for County in the Premiership over the space of 3 seasons. That’s just under 1 goal every 5 games. How can you say that he would’ve thrived in a better, yet similar side when he has that sort of conversion rate? It’s not as if County have struggled to create chances over the years - we just haven’t had a goal scorer since Boyce.

There's a good argument that the likes of Gardyne and Mckay could have been useful squad players this season. However, they were both high-earning senior players so I understand the need to prioritise within the budget constraints that exist (despite what some people think about Roy's largesse).

That said, given what we know of ICT's financial woes, I imagine both took sizeable cuts to their wage while dropping down a level. I wonder how much consideration was given to offering similar cuts to stay on at County to aid the transition to a younger squad?

8 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

There's a good argument that the likes of Gardyne and Mckay could have been useful squad players this season. However, they were both high-earning senior players so I understand the need to prioritise within the budget constraints that exist (despite what some people think about Roy's largesse).

That said, given what we know of ICT's financial woes, I imagine both took sizeable cuts to their wage while dropping down a level. I wonder how much consideration was given to offering similar cuts to stay on at County to aid the transition to a younger squad?

The The Caley’s financial woes’ that fans of other clubs always speak of are/were highly exaggerated, despite having openly available to all published accounts every year. 

I’d be far more concerned with your wage bill alone being about 4000% more than your club makes.

46 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The The Caley’s financial woes’ that fans of other clubs always speak of are/were highly exaggerated, despite having openly available to all published accounts every year. 

I’d be far more concerned with your wage bill alone being about 4000% more than your club makes.

County's wage bill has dropped significantly with Draper, Vigurs, Mckay, Midge and Naismith away.

Stunned to realize big Kenny VDW is in the Dutch 7th tier. I'd take him back over Burrows in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He scored 15 goals in 78 appearances for County in the Premiership over the space of 3 seasons. That’s just under 1 goal every 5 games. How can you say that he would’ve thrived in a better, yet similar side when he has that sort of conversion rate? It’s not as if County have struggled to create chances over the years - we just haven’t had a goal scorer since Boyce.

Ross Stewart not a goal scorer?

but aye McKay isn’t good enough for the spl , caley fans like getting excited these days , must be boring down the championship suppose we are likely to see for ourselves soon enough!

9 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Ross Stewart not a goal scorer?

but aye McKay isn’t good enough for the spl , caley fans like getting excited these days , must be boring down the championship suppose we are likely to see for ourselves soon enough!

You certainly will!

7 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I wouldn’t say so no. He was extremely wasteful in a county shirt and got a lot of his goals from the penalty spot. Sure, you’ve still got to score the penalty, but he was far from clinical in his time with us.

His record doesn't look bad when you equate him playing out wide half the time but he did miss some sitters on a regular basis.

Edited by Comrie