The General Ross County Chat Thread

20 minutes ago, morrison said:

There isn't half a bunch of touchy County fans on here. Thought it was fairly clear Savage was taking the piss - nuance from the Daily Record, I don't think so! - yet some feel the need to strongly defend Mackay to the hilt.

Honestly, if you can't let a comment like that go from one of our own, you're in for a long season.

Right.  I thought it was obvious too, but here we are.  

Edit: and I’ll repeat: Connor Randall is the starting right back, and the key creative player is Blair Spittal.  It’s going to be a very, very long season.

Edited by Savage Henry

On 30/07/2021 at 09:25, Savage Henry said:

I’m going to guess that the more tackles made, the lower the “clean tackle” tends to be.  Essentially clean tackles are rarer than you might think.   But of course, how do you define a clean tackle?

This is a question that should be asked more often than it is amongst our rural community

There isn't half a bunch of touchy County fans on here. Thought it was fairly clear Savage was taking the piss - nuance from the Daily Record, I don't think so! - yet some feel the need to strongly defend Mackay to the hilt.
Honestly, if you can't let a comment like that go from one of our own, you're in for a long season.

The constant shite about Malky was getting boring. The season will be even longer if everyone keeps bickering about our manager. Can we all not just support and back the team?

5 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

The constant shite about Malky was getting boring. The season will be even longer if everyone keeps bickering about our manager. Can we all not just support and back the team?

You're right. We should all just forget our club appointed a manager who's never demonstrated any meaningful contrition for sending appalling discriminatory text messages. After all,  as the chairman said “His language was not great on a text message, but, if someone examined our texts, all of us would say our language was not good at times."

19 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Careful now, you’ll be accused of being a happy clapper with this sort of comments!

5 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

You're right. We should all just forget our club appointed a manager who's never demonstrated any meaningful contrition for sending appalling discriminatory text messages. After all,  as the chairman said “His language was not great on a text message, but, if someone examined our texts, all of us would say our language was not good at times."

A day after the chairman promising that the club would regain its inclusive community identity, no less.  Nope, the club doesn’t get to whitewash this.  Neither does Malky.  

5 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

He's responsible for 3 of those txts, it's discussed in an interview I watched, I thought we'd all seen it by now.  The phone in question was obviously a work phone, which was used by another member of staff before MM.  Cardiff wouldn't name the other employee, just MM.

The fact that it's three of the txts (I can't remember which 3) doesn't make anything okay before the pitch-forks are sharpened.

1 minute ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

He's responsible for 3 of those txts, it's discussed in an interview I watched, I thought we'd all seen it by now.  The phone in question was obviously a work phone, which was used by another member of staff before MM.  Cardiff wouldn't name the other employee, just MM.

The fact that it's three of the txts (I can't remember which 3) doesn't make anything okay before the pitch-forks are sharpened.

I'm aware he only takes responsibility for three of the messages. The fact he's never identified which three suggests doing so wouldn't actually help his case.

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

I'm aware he only takes responsibility for three of the messages. The fact he's never identified which three suggests doing so wouldn't actually help his case.

He does, I just can't remember.

There's an interview with him where it's discussed. Along with him getting questioned on the matter and apologising.

I had it sent to me on YouTube by a friend months ago, the interview is from several years ago. 

This is pretty old news, today was our first league game of the season.  I thought Paton looked good when he came on, RCC was frustrating/unconvincing imo and I hope the injury to Spittal isn't too much, did anyone actually see how/what happened?

Anyway it was great to be back in my seat at Viccy Park on a sunny day.

I hope the injury to Spittal isn't too much, did anyone actually see how/what happened?

He looked as if he took out O’Halloran on the break and then tripped over him. Probably an injury from the impact of a fall would be my guess?

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

He does, I just can't remember.

There's an interview with him where it's discussed. Along with him getting questioned on the matter and apologising.

I had it sent to me on YouTube by a friend months ago, the interview is from several years ago. 

I'd genuinely be interested to know if you remember. There's the lengthy Sky Sports interview with David Tanner that usually gets referenced, but as far as I remember he doesn't say which three messages were his. The apology he gives in it comes with several qualifications, and came the same week as the initial statement he issued via the LMA which dismissed the messages as "friendly text message banter", so you do have to doubt the sincerity of it.

Are the players channelling their inner Yogi with them all going to Twitter to praise the decent shift from the lads?

Coll Donaldson gives away another penalty and we don’t score a goal.  Welcome back Stuart Kettlewell you were missed. 

15 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Your best chance of achieving that is to overlook the comments yourself. You're only making it more difficult by responding every time.

The support will never be united over this appointment, so make your peace with that and concentrate on the football if that's what you want to do. 

I was encouraged/relieved with the result. Given the squad, the injury to Vokins, two players flying in with little time to prepare and the Covid problems I was expecting a hammering. Yes they missed a penalty, but a point was a good result in the circumstances and my level of pessimism has decreased. A long way to optimism, let’s hope for some decent incomers, we may survive yet.

13 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He looked as if he took out O’Halloran on the break and then tripped over him. Probably an injury from the impact of a fall would be my guess?

Looked like he tripped over the turf. Was walking backwards fine then just collapsed and held his knee.

Hope for the best etc., but seems like the innocuous ones are always the worst.

6 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

FFS 3 months, if true that's bad luck on another level.

In the P&J   https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/3355258/ross-county-manager-malky-mackay-hopes-to-make-five-signings-in-coming-week-with-defender-jake-vokins-ruled-out-for-10-weeks-with-metatarsal-fracture/

...“We had to contend with our starting left back Jake Vokins, in the last minute of training on Friday, who innocuously made a pass and felt something in his foot.

“It has turned out he has a stress fracture in his fifth metatarsal and will be out for 10 weeks now.

“Left back might be the eighth one we bring in now, because that’s an extra area we will have to look at again now.

“Jake had settled in really well in the three games he played. He was absolutely gutted, I spoke to Southampton on Friday and he will be operated on Monday down there.”

The article also states that there could be as many as 5 new signings in before the next match against Hibs, David Cancola and Harry Clarke being two of them.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s not really fair on Charles-Cook to play out of position on his wrong side.   Left back must be one of those positions, I’d suggest. 

I feel sorry for Charles-Cook. He's never had an extended run in the team in his favoured position. Sporadic appearances here and there and most of them as a wing-back.