The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He also can’t play more than three games in a row and hasn’t been a regular first pick for over a year.  That defence is an absolute shambles. 

I just had a quick look at his stats last season, he managed to play over 80 minutes in 16 league games. As you say he's never been a consistent starter, be it through ability or injury. 

3 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

I just had a quick look at his stats last season, he managed to play over 80 minutes in 16 league games. As you say he's never been a consistent starter, be it through ability or injury. 

Yeah. As soon as I posted that, I felt I should have looked it up.  But turns out my gut instinct was correct.  It’s not ability, though. He’s their best centre back.  

23 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

The fact he never played last season was due to the ineptness of Kettlewell/Hughes. 

He's a great trainer and keeps himself in good condition and he's undoubtedly a leader within the group so it's an easy pick imo.

Keep checking Twitter every couple of hours in the hope of there being a new singing, or even a rumour of a new signing, but nothing. Nothing but currant buns constantly referring to us winning down at Parkhead.

Time to accept that RMcG was talking shite and it'll be as is for the StJ game.

1 hour ago, central staggie said:

Keep checking Twitter every couple of hours in the hope of there being a new singing, or even a rumour of a new signing, but nothing. Nothing but currant buns constantly referring to us winning down at Parkhead.

Time to accept that RMcG was talking shite and it'll be as is for the StJ game.

I’m 90% convinced the club expected Shinnie to sign, but something made him go to Livingston instead. 

9 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

“Myself and my coaching team all have good experience in England and when you phone a trusted source then it gives you a good and true character reference.

“That helps because I want to make sure the culture is right and that means bringing in the right characters.

“Once you get enough of those characters you see the club really grow.”

Maybe I’m being a bit simplistic with my thinking and should be excited about another ‘loan’ signing from the English Premiership but how can a club grow developing players for other clubs.

Agree with above post , 3 loans is just about acceptable but this has to be the last , need to start signing players who will commit to us long term, fwiw the three loans on paper at least look great and we were desperately crying out for a centre back

The other issue with these loans is that they are all young lads. We've seen it numerous times when these highly rated youngsters come up from England thinking that this league is going to be a stroll and then struggle to make any real mark.

44 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

The other issue with these loans is that they are all young lads. We've seen it numerous times when these highly rated youngsters come up from England thinking that this league is going to be a stroll and then struggle to make any real mark.

Who was the last Ross County loanee who was actually any good?  Hejlde of Celtic looks a good player.  Other than that, they’ve all been largely hapless.  Simon Power, Euan Henderson, Stephen Kelly…. A litany of incompetent cowards.  

42 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Who was the last Ross County loanee who was actually any good?  Hejlde of Celtic looks a good player.  Other than that, they’ve all been largely hapless.  Simon Power, Euan Henderson, Stephen Kelly…. A litany of incompetent cowards.  

Think you've just answered your own question, Leo Hejlde was (imo surprisingly) really good for us last season. 

I'd be willing to wager that he'll go on to be a very good center half and international defender. He'll also play at a far higher level than the Scottish League.

Baxter and Doohan were and still are, highly rated but what their loan spells did was show us just how good Laidlaw is, which is a clear benefit to County.

Hjelde would be ideal for us in our current set up as which is annoying, Surely another season with us is more beneficial than the lowland league

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Before Hjelde it was probably Jamie Lindsay? That was YEARS ago now.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Clarke had 35 appearances for Oldham last season , which suggests he's pretty decent , and probably going to get better !

Does it?  Oldham of league two? As has already been said, players who have made that jump up until now have hardly been roaring successes.  Now that might be a scouting issue (given that Ross County have no scouting system and rely on agents), but the only thing in this guy's favour is that he's at Arsenal, who have probably the best youth development system in the country.  

But... this guy is a pretty intriguing signing.  Undersized centre back/ full back - he's only listed at 5'10.  Converted midfielder.   I'm guessing/hoping he's a ball carrying centre half.  He's been training with the Arsenal first team, and played against Hibs in an otherwise stacked lineup.   Very interesting.  

Edit: the Oldham fans seem to have been very impressed by him, to be fair.

Edited by Savage Henry