The General Ross County Chat Thread

I thought the media reaction to Mackay's appointment was surprisingly muted, but perhaps that was because it came right at the start of football's summer holidays.

Graham Spiers was defending him on Twitter, and I was thoroughly disappointed to see Richard Gordon describe those upset at the appointment as "desperate to be offended" in his P&J column. Spiers was no surprise, but I always thought Gordon was better than that.

In contrast, Graeme McGarry wrote a very good piece analysing the appointment through a more socially aware lens. Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Some of the media are weird when it comes to County fans daring to question their pals suitability for employment.

Was it Jim Delahunt who had the "Ross fucking County!" Twitter outburst when McIntyre was sacked?

Yeah. Know your place!  God forbid it happens to a media chum. 

11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Some of the media are weird when it comes to County fans daring to question their pals suitability for employment.

Was it Jim Delahunt who had the "Ross fucking County!" Twitter outburst when McIntyre was sacked?

What a time that was. Called out Kenny McIntyre/ BBC Sportsound on Twitter and ended up on the show.

16 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Ah yes, a classic of the genre. Should have had a job for life, obviously.

16 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I mind that, something similar happened to us when Hughes left.  Basically how dare we expect him to consolidate our position in the top 6 with the biggest playing budget given a manager to date,  then want him sacked when he fails miserably.

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I mind that, something similar happened to us when Hughes left.  Basically how dare we expect him to consolidate our position in the top 6 with the biggest playing budget given a manager to date,  then want him sacked when he fails miserably.

Mainly Allan Preston who is Hughes's brother in law (I think).

When teams like ICT and County sack a manager who won them a trophy a season or so ago it looks weird to those looking in from the outside but to the fans who watch the side week in and week out and know how rubbish they have been, how bad the signings have been, how the players and manager no longer see eye to eye it's clear that the relationship has run its course. Looking back at ICT and Hughes obviously it looks like a terrible decision but at the time it was the only thing to do given the massive fallout between Hughes and the chairman at the time over budgets and transfer targets.

27 minutes ago, RiG said:

Mainly Allan Preston who is Hughes's brother in law (I think).

When teams like ICT and County sack a manager who won them a trophy a season or so ago it looks weird to those looking in from the outside but to the fans who watch the side week in and week out and know how rubbish they have been, how bad the signings have been, how the players and manager no longer see eye to eye it's clear that the relationship has run its course. Looking back at ICT and Hughes obviously it looks like a terrible decision but at the time it was the only thing to do given the massive fallout between Hughes and the chairman at the time over budgets and transfer targets.

It’s almost as if the fans who see the team every week are in a better position to judge than a man called Biscuits.  

26 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Right, it's Wednesday and still no signings. Did we not have players that were essentially waiting to join once the squad was back post COVID?

Who was that striker that they didn’t even bother to announce?  I seem to recall the first anybody knew was when he was in the starting XI.     I wonder if they’re going to do that trick again.  I almost hope they do, because I’d say Brora are favourites for tonight going by the current County squad.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Who was that striker that they didn’t even bother to announce?  I seem to recall the first anybody knew was when he was in the starting XI.     I wonder if they’re going to do that trick again.  I almost hope they do, because I’d say Brora are favourites for tonight going by the current County squad.

Was Jordan Slew I believe. The new years game against Caley where we won 2-1. I think we have enough to beat Brora with the current squad. However being able to beat a highland league side is hardly saying much at this point. I wonder who we could get in at this stage.

Edited by staggy1929

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

What's Sean Kelly like?

Wasn't happy when we kept him after promotion, then was unhappy that we got rid of him a season later. 

But in general, an unspectacular player that was improving before we got rid.