The General Ross County Chat Thread

11 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Tell you what, Mackay needs to get a few wins early doors this season. Forfeiting games and then losing 3 or 4 on the bounce would be a disaster.

It's totally conceivable as well. If there are new cases and the club have to further isolate then next weeks fixture will go the same way as these two. So we'd be going into a new league season with new players who haven't played together.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Is it worse than Cooper’s start?  Either way, Malkkky must go.  

There was absolutely no reason to leave signings this late.  

Coopers first game was an extra time loss to Queens Park (3-1) and a 2-1 league defeat to Arbroath.  Finally got a win in his seventh game.

My memory is slipping, should have just went to the Staggie Archive:

33208AF1-0ECB-4691-BCBC-6E6FC66146E9.jpeg

Edited by Loki

Did I miss the statement claiming Malay had dished the COVID out to everyone in the playing squad or are people just trying to pin a global pandemic on him too? County got off very lucky last season, we were always going to get hit at some point regardless who the manager was….

2 minutes ago, deldad7 said:

Did I miss the statement claiming Malay had dished the COVID out to everyone in the playing squad or are people just trying to pin a global pandemic on him too? 

I wouldn't put it past him.

The issue many have is the limited additions, which has now caused the second abandonment of a fixture. 

1 minute ago, deldad7 said:

Did I miss the statement claiming Malay had dished the COVID out to everyone in the playing squad or are people just trying to pin a global pandemic on him too?

I don't think anyone's suggesting either of those things. Rather, they're suggesting his strategy of not making a lot of early signings means we don't have the squad depth to compensate for losing an unspecified number of players to covid. I think that in itself is pretty incontrovertible, it's just a question of how much of a sin people consider it to be.

51 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

I can understand the strategy, to an extent. It's important to sign the right players and it might be later in the window some of them become available. It was a risk though. I don't think you can be too critical of the current situation, assuming all protocols have been followed correctly, but it's deeply unfortunate we went through all of last season with a large squad and no covid issues, to be decimated as soon as we cut it back.

If we get over this, sign up some quality players and have a steady league campaign then the strategy will have paid off. If we end up struggling in the league anyway, then the manager will have even less goodwill than he does at the moment.

This is broadly the approach that we've had as well. The idea that it's important to get the right players in and potentially having to wait vs signing up players that you've targeted who are more likely to say yes and sign up on pre-contracts or early in the window. Kelly's probably a good example of that, we'd been speaking to him and QPR for months before the deal finally completed.

Chances are had Robinson still been the manager we'd just have sacked it as the risk of waiting and it not happening may have meant us missing out on other players.

I think it was something like 18 of our first team squad who left who left Fir Park in the summer. So far we've signed 6. We had a fucking massive squad because of all the injuries last season right enough but we've still got another 5 or 6 to bring in and we're having to limp through the Betfred games with a barely serviceable midfield and central defence while we wait.

Tiny violins compared to the shitshow you guys are having but the point I'm getting at is there seem to be quite a few clubs who are holding off transfer-wise.

1 minute ago, UAE1929 said:

I wouldn't put it past him.

The issue many have is the limited additions, which has now caused the second abandonment of a fixture. 

I’m no fan of the guy or his appointment either, but we’re stuck with him so surely It would be better to get behind the team (what little we do have) than to be organising a lynch mob no? 

Do any of us know for a fact he hasn’t being trying to get bodies in the door as well or is it speculation?

Just now, deldad7 said:

I’m no fan of the guy or his appointment either, but we’re stuck with him so surely It would be better to get behind the team (what little we do have) than to be organising a lynch mob no? 

Do any of us know for a fact he hasn’t being trying to get bodies in the door as well or is it speculation?

I don't think many (if any at all) are saying they aren't backing the side. However many won't go and actively watch a side managed by a man like Mackay which is totally fair. This argument that "well he's here now, let's just get on with it" is a horrendous take and firmly needs to get in the bin. 

The comments he made in the interview the club published were that most of the business was going to be done at the tail-end of the window. Unfortunately as we shifted pretty much all of our playing squad it doesn't leave many players and we've now been caught out because of it. 

2 hours ago, UAE1929 said:

I don't think many (if any at all) are saying they aren't backing the side. However many won't go and actively watch a side managed by a man like Mackay which is totally fair. This argument that "well he's here now, let's just get on with it" is a horrendous take and firmly needs to get in the bin. 

The comments he made in the interview the club published were that most of the business was going to be done at the tail-end of the window. Unfortunately as we shifted pretty much all of our playing squad it doesn't leave many players and we've now been caught out because of it. 

It’s hardly just the fact that we’ve left signings until later in the window. If County didn’t scrap their youth team last season then there would have been plenty of players to pick from, which I guess will still be Mackay’s fault….

14 hours ago, deldad7 said:

Did I miss the statement claiming Malay had dished the COVID out to everyone in the playing squad or are people just trying to pin a global pandemic on him too? County got off very lucky last season, we were always going to get hit at some point regardless who the manager was….

I don't think we have to worry about Malky deliberately infecting the team with a virus that as far as we know started in China...

Is it fair to put all the blame on Mackay? No, probably not, but seeing his quite unpleasant history I can't say I really give a hoot about being fair to him, & I won't back the team while he's in charge. Oddly, some things matter more than football.

33 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I don't think we have to worry about Malky deliberately infecting the team with a virus that as far as we know started in China...

Is it fair to put all the blame on Mackay? No, probably not, but seeing his quite unpleasant history I can't say I really give a hoot about being fair to him, & I won't back the team while he's in charge. Oddly, some things matter more than football.

Careful now, he’s “already apologised”.    My guess is he’s gone by November.  

51 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Careful now, he’s “already apologised”.    My guess is he’s gone by November.  

Can we get Wycliffe Jean to sing this new version? “Gone by November”

On 16/07/2021 at 18:31, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

He certainly wouldn't like being called a Malay.

🤔 Not sure about that 🤣

There are very few places where ethnic identity is... ehhhh... "promoted" quite as forcefully as in Malaysia. The Chinese are usually the ones on the business end of the jackboot. Any ludicrous anti-Chinese story is swallowed gluttonously by the majority population. In the face of any perceived slight, their propensity for rational thought makes Erse Cheek fans look like Vulcans. Maybe Malays created the Covid-19 virus and released it in China, in order to discredit the Chinese🤔. Perhaps with Malky's help🤔.

This thread has been worth keeping an eye on since Malky's appointment. It will provide great entertainment until he has you a comfortable 8th some time around Christmas.

Would my synopsis be correct we are waiting to later in the window to sign players as we are looking to get the ‘right’ players in.

Or we are waiting to later in the window when players are panicking that they can’t get a contract elsewhere and might as well sign for Ross County for a season until  they get a better option closer to home.

Personal opinion not a big lover of the loan signing developing player for another team surely the best business model is a Ross Stewart or Jackson Irvine identify a ‘good’ player keep him a season or two and sell on.

1 hour ago, grantmacp said:

Would my synopsis be correct we are waiting to later in the window to sign players as we are looking to get the ‘right’ players in.

Or we are waiting to later in the window when players are panicking that they can’t get a contract elsewhere and might as well sign for Ross County for a season until  they get a better option closer to home.

I would suggest that these two approaches are not mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, grantmacp said:

Personal opinion not a big lover of the loan signing developing player for another team surely the best business model is a Ross Stewart or Jackson Irvine identify a ‘good’ player keep him a season or two and sell on.

I thought that because many of the players targeted, were from down south and that they were running a couple weeks behind the Scottish clubs, we would be waiting for these players to return/decide what they're options were.  I've no idea obviously but that was my understanding of our transfer situation. 

Good to hear that there could be some transfer action in the next week.

I have no idea how the "bubble" works for players but I suspect the club have identified signings and they've fallen through when they've realised that they'll be moving up to Inverness or Dingwall and maybe not guaranteed to see their family that often.

I think Hughes said he didn't go back down the road at all during his 5 or 6 months. And was that not Mullin's issue? That he wanted to be back with his family full-time?