The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are apparently after Gardyne. Does he have anything left in the tank at this level even as a squad option?

As an impact player, yes. He was still by far our most comfortable dribbler of the ball, nobody even came close. We were asking him to work like a 20 year old in games.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are apparently after Gardyne. Does he have anything left in the tank at this level even as a squad option?

Nope.  That he is the only skilful player in the squad is an indictment of the other wibgers, not a compliment to Gardyne. 

20 hours ago, sophia said:

I invite you to consider the management of such a scenario.

In the context of a long serving employee, the manager has a serious and considered duty of care in such a circumstance. At a basic level, Gardyne's health and wellbeing should have been paramount.

"One of the management team" My word, is that where we are as a culture?

For someone like Gardyne, the only responsible course of action would be for the most senior person at the club to meet him personally and to eliminate the risk of Gardyne driving the A9 in a stressed frame of mind, that meeting should have been local to Gardyne.

All very worthy, however here is the scenario. The contracts of somewhere around half the squad finished that day. This included Vigurs another player with a long term association with the club. He was also out of the area, the most senior person at the club would be busy driving that day.

in this day and age, and even more so during this pandemic, business meetings, whether on personal issues or other, are conducted via media such as Zoom.  Not everybody likes this, but it is accepted practice.

Football, and many other major team sports, is conducted by issuing fixed term contracts. At the end of a contract players are free to leave clubs, teams are free to offer new contracts or not. All players understand that. Older players are likely to have been through this process several times and understand the implications.

I would suggest that given the above, a professional face to face meeting is standard practice to discuss the end of a contract. Whether people like this, or think it should be done away with is irrelevant. I’m old enough to remember the time when clubs released players, including young players, without notice. Contracts ran out and players waited for the phone to ring. If it rang they had an offer, if it didn’t they looked for a new club. Personally I’d prefer a face to face over Zoom on the day of the contract ending.
I

On 12/06/2021 at 08:33, Staggie52 said:

I know people are  upset with the club, but let’s be realistic. Gardyne wasn’t released, he was out of contract, he wasn’t offered a new contract. It’s maybe slightly pedantic but there’s a difference between someone’s contract ending naturally and them being sacked. 

What’s the issue with Zoom? He was in Dundee, was somebody supposed to go down there, or him come up? A Zoom call is face to face, better than an email, letter or phone call. So long as it came from one of the management team it looks to me like the best solution. I don’t know if it’s normal, but I suspect it’s not unusual now where players aren’t local to their club at the time.

He was coming back up the road the following day. They couldn't have waited 24 hours to thank him for his long years of service & shake his hand?

It's not about letting Midge go. If they don't think he's up to it then that's the right choice to make. But handling it the way they did after the way they handled the hiring of the "controversial" new manager & after yet another empty cliché filled press statement about being a family club & a community club & all that bollocks, if you can't see why it's a bit shite then I dunno what to say.

"
What has been so shocking over the last 2-3 months?

Maybe the fact that our club record appearance holder and goal scorer was released over Zoom? Unless that’s a normal occurrence in football.
I was fucking fired by email whilst on medical leave. Dry yer eyes.

Maybe the fact that our club record appearance holder and goal scorer was released over Zoom? Unless that’s a normal occurrence in football.
I was fucking fired by email whilst on medical leave. Dry yer eyes.

Alright that has absolutely zero relevance whatsoever but you do you. Hope you got another job and that.

New tweet from the club, with regards to the coaching set up for the coming season.  Must admit it sounds exciting, hopefully we can unearth some hidden gems.

Cookie Policy
  • MainLogo.png

First team

Malky unveils his coaching team

14/06/2021

Malky Mackay has today unveiled his new coaching team to take The Staggies into season 2021/22.

Don Cowie has been promoted to Assistant Manager from his role as 1st Team Coach last season. The former Staggies midfielder previously played for Malky at Watford and Cardiff City, where he would later win his first Scotland Cap and promotion to the English Premier League.

Joining as 1st Team Coach is another familiar name in the shape of Stuart Taylor- who previously played for Ross County between 2004-06. Stuart joins with a wealth of coaching experience, latterly with Aston Villa, Wolves, Stoke City and Ipswich Town.

Also joining Malky’s backroom team is Enda Barron. Enda brings to Ross County extensive experience and knowledge of Football Data Analysis and Player Recruitment structures. He has a proven track record at various levels in the game from the English Premier League right through the football pyramid as well as experience working with teams abroad.

Goalkeeping coach Scott Thomson, Physiotherapist Willie Nolan and Sport Scientist Liam Jukes, remain an important part of Malky’s backroom team for the upcoming season.

On the appointments, Manager Malky Mackay said, “I am delighted to be working with Don again. He is someone I know and trust and believe has the best interests of our club at heart. I am delighted he has decided to go into coaching after retiring as I think he has the perfect temperament to help the modern player develop. Don has a real hunger and desire to learn as a coach and played a vital part in Ross County retaining its Premiership status last season."

“Stuart is someone I have known for a number of years in football and brings vast experience of coaching at all levels of the game. He will be a fabulous addition to our coaching team at Ross County and I know our players will benefit from his advice and guidance. I’m excited to have Stuart on board with us for this next chapter.”

“Having worked with Enda before I know how knowledgeable he is in his field and how important it is in the modern game to have a structured recruitment and performance analysis department. The support of our Chairman and Chief Executive has been imperative in enabling us to add this important area of high performance to our club.”

Thought Taylor had burned his bridges with the club. 

Edit: this Enda Barron’s Twitter feed is… interesting reading.  

Edit 2:  the absolute state of that publicity photo though. 

Edited by Savage Henry

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Those fixtures are brutal. Was trying to look for the first winnable game of the season and I’m still looking for I cannot find one. Didn’t realise how competitive the league actually is this year.

It’s okay, Malky Mackay and *checks notes* his Blair Spittal inspired squad can win everything in sight. 

Edited by Savage Henry

37 minutes ago, stag317 said:

What's the odds on us signing Todrov? Don't know much about him.

Fairly slim seeing as he's moving back down the road.

After the dust has settled from all the releases , I’m actually feeling pretty enthusiastic to see how our rebuild goes , the squad was going stale and a turn over was needed although I’d of at least kept Naismith  

10 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

I fear this is another summer of everyone else around us strengthening and us getting worse.

Not that I'm that bothered while the Malkster is in charge, but you'd have thought we'd have made a few decent signings by now. 

What?  You mean you aren’t inspired by a fat racist homophobe, Connor Randall and Ross Callaghan?   It’s going to be brutal season. I honestly don’t see how they can bring in anything approaching enough quality.