The General Ross County Chat Thread

44 minutes ago, RiG said:

We've apparently offered contracts to Mckay and Gardyne. What kind of players are they? Don't know much about them...

Gardyne: sensible, no-nonsense defender.  Huge appendage.  McKay: rotten, racist fatso. 

48 minutes ago, RiG said:

We've apparently offered contracts to Mckay and Gardyne. What kind of players are they? Don't know much about them...

if midge signs for caley it will absolutely buckle me

2 minutes ago, Comrie said:

If, and I stress if, what I am told is correct it is basically a done deal.

Relatively good signings for caley especially McKay , seeing gardyne in a caley strip will be sickening but to be fair when we robbed tokely and Munro it must’ve felt the same for them

The way we treated Midge over the last 2-3 months has been nothing short of a disgrace and I do not blame him at all for going over the bridge.

Think its good moves for both of them and ICT, assume they are both based in Inverness, we have a lot of young players the experience and quality of both should hopefully help them.

Said on the ICT page, would have taken Vigurs in a heartbeat but heard he's off to Cove, others saying Brora but cant see that happening if what I have been told re. Cove deal is  true.

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

Vigurs is from Aberdeen so I could see Cove being a desirable move for him.

There's that but he's also lived here less 1(?) year at Motherwell, since he was a teenager, and I believe his wife is from Inverness/Dingwall, so Brora would be the 'easier' of the two options whereby he wouldn't have to uproot his family.

17 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Gardyne: sensible, no-nonsense defender.  Huge appendage.  McKay: rotten, racist fatso. 

That can't be true or Malky would have kept McKay on.

16 hours ago, Comrie said:

I don't get this.

Do we expect Gardyne to retire because Ross County haven't offered him a new contract? Dropping down a division, playing with players and staff that he already knows and not having to uproot a family, all makes complete sense to me.

For players this is a job, yes a very good job, one we'd all like to have been good enough to do but it pays the mortgage, puts food on the table. There's no room for fans style of loyalty when it's up against looking after your family.

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

The way we treated Midge over the last 2-3 months has been nothing short of a disgrace and I do not blame him at all for going over the bridge.

What has been so shocking over the last 2-3 months?

Gardyne had a contract that was running out, I have no idea what wages he was on but I doubt he was at the low end of our scale. The club have decided (rightly or wrongly, time will tell) to clear the decks and go in another direction.  I'm not keen on the McKay appointment but it's clear that many things weren't working as they should, as we barely outpointed a honking Accies & an abysmal Killie side. Change is/was required and Michael Gardyne isn't part of the future first team squad, I don't find that shocking, or surprising tbh.

I'd love to see Midge cut his teath in coaching somewhere else see how others do things, then come back to Dingwall in the future. There's no need reason for Gardyne to have an animosity towards County from what I've seen/heard.

6 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I don't get this.

Do we expect Gardyne to retire because Ross County haven't offered him a new contract? Dropping down a division, playing with players and staff that he already knows and not having to uproot a family, all makes complete sense to me.

For players this is a job, yes a very good job, one we'd all like to have been good enough to do but it pays the mortgage, puts food on the table. There's no room for fans style of loyalty when it's up against looking after your family.

Yes, all very true and sensible but football is only the sport it is based on the petty rivalries between fans.

When Draper left for County for example. We wanted rid of him to get him off the wage bill and he wanted to play in the Premiership and stay up here earning the same money, probably more since it’s Ro$$ County. I’d have done exactly the same thing and I actually support one of the teams involved as it’s just the sensible thing to do.

However none of that stops me from booing and giving him a bit of friendly criticism for ditching us to go over the bridge cause he’s a money grabbing b*****d. Its what being a football fan is all about.

19 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I don't get this.

Gardyne had a contract that was running out, I have no idea what wages he was on but I doubt he was at the low end of our scale. The club have decided (rightly or wrongly, time will tell) to clear the decks and go in another direction.  I'm not keen on the McKay appointment but it's clear that many things weren't working as they should, as we barely outpointed a honking Accies & an abysmal Killie side. Change is/was required and Michael Gardyne isn't part of the future first team squad, I don't find that shocking, or surprising tbh.

I'd love to see Midge cut his teath in coaching somewhere else see how others do things, then come back to Dingwall in the future. There's no need reason for Gardyne to have an animosity towards County from what I've seen/heard.

No, but the thought of our most successful ever player (all but one trophy we've won has had him in the side), most appearance and most goals doing directly to our rival hurts, especially when I still think he had a year as an impact player left. He's still got bills to pay and kids to feed so I totally understand why he's consider Caley- and he isn't a County fan, he follows either Dundee or United (I forget which).

I guess it's similar to Tokely signing for County?

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I don't get this.

Of all the complete fiascos over the last month or two - and there have been many - getting rid of Vigurs and Gardyne are way down the list.  Both needed to be moved on.   If Gardyne signs for ICT, good on him.  The fans are entirely to precisely nothing, and I hope he destroys the division. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's that but he's also lived here less 1(?) year at Motherwell, since he was a teenager, and I believe his wife is from Inverness/Dingwall, so Brora would be the 'easier' of the two options whereby he wouldn't have to uproot his family.

Reckon cove will just be part time so maybe he wouldn’t have to uproot regardless

9 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Maybe the fact that our club record appearance holder and goal scorer was released over Zoom? Unless that’s a normal occurrence in football.

I know people are  upset with the club, but let’s be realistic. Gardyne wasn’t released, he was out of contract, he wasn’t offered a new contract. It’s maybe slightly pedantic but there’s a difference between someone’s contract ending naturally and them being sacked. 

What’s the issue with Zoom? He was in Dundee, was somebody supposed to go down there, or him come up? A Zoom call is face to face, better than an email, letter or phone call. So long as it came from one of the management team it looks to me like the best solution. I don’t know if it’s normal, but I suspect it’s not unusual now where players aren’t local to their club at the time.

3 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

I know people are  upset with the club, but let’s be realistic. Gardyne wasn’t released, he was out of contract, he wasn’t offered a new contract. It’s maybe slightly pedantic but there’s a difference between someone’s contract ending naturally and them being sacked. 

What’s the issue with Zoom? He was in Dundee, was somebody supposed to go down there, or him come up? A Zoom call is face to face, better than an email, letter or phone call. So long as it came from one of the management team it looks to me like the best solution. I don’t know if it’s normal, but I suspect it’s not unusual now where players aren’t local to their club at the time.

I invite you to consider the management of such a scenario.

In the context of a long serving employee, the manager has a serious and considered duty of care in such a circumstance. At a basic level, Gardyne's health and wellbeing should have been paramount.

"One of the management team" My word, is that where we are as a culture?

For someone like Gardyne, the only responsible course of action would be for the most senior person at the club to meet him personally and to eliminate the risk of Gardyne driving the A9 in a stressed frame of mind, that meeting should have been local to Gardyne.