The General Ross County Chat Thread

10 minutes ago, silver said:

I am reminded at this moment in time of John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Take the religious pish elsewhre

Individual fans are free to feel however they wish on this, but it's maybe not a bad idea to keep some perspective here. 

The Livingston manager has done time for drug dealing.  The Motherwell captain (and possible Scotland 2020 defender) attacked a man on the head with a baseball bat and served time.  David Goodwillie has captained Clyde despite being found guilty of rape.  Another Clyde player was found to have racially abused another player.  The recently released Stenhousemuir captain is a registered sex offender.  Troy Deeney captained Watford for several seasons despite being jailed for a brutal assault on an innocent man.  Ray Stewart attacked a man and broke his jaw and did 240 hours of community service before going on to manage several clubs.

The purpose of pointing that out isn't whataboutery, but to show people needn't be defined by what they did in their worst moments.

I share the view Mackay could do with some public contrition (though several of the examples above showed none).  As horrible as his texts were, I personally don't think he deserves eternal damnation for his sins, certainly not when relative to a player who has beaten someone unconcious and risked actually killing another human being.  Cancel culture means people are extremely sensitive to any discriminatory issues.  People are also scared to speak up and show any forgiveness for fear of being labelled a bigot / racist / sexist themselves. 

However if Show Racism The Red Card and Kick It Out etc are saying the man deserves his chance, I think as a society people should at least consider it.

35 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Individual fans are free to feel however they wish on this, but it's maybe not a bad idea to keep some perspective here. 

The Livingston manager has done time for drug dealing.  The Motherwell captain (and possible Scotland 2020 defender) attacked a man on the head with a baseball bat and served time.  David Goodwillie has captained Clyde despite being found guilty of rape.  Another Clyde player was found to have racially abused another player.  The recently released Stenhousemuir captain is a registered sex offender.  Troy Deeney captained Watford for several seasons despite being jailed for a brutal assault on an innocent man.  Ray Stewart attacked a man and broke his jaw and did 240 hours of community service before going on to manage several clubs.

The purpose of pointing that out isn't whataboutery, but to show people needn't be defined by what they did in their worst moments.

I share the view Mackay could do with some public contrition (though several of the examples above showed none).  As horrible as his texts were, I personally don't think he deserves eternal damnation for his sins, certainly not when relative to a player who has beaten someone unconcious and risked actually killing another human being.  Cancel culture means people are extremely sensitive to any discriminatory issues.  People are also scared to speak up and show any forgiveness for fear of being labelled a bigot / racist / sexist themselves. 

However if Show Racism The Red Card and Kick It Out etc are saying the man deserves his chance, I think as a society people should at least consider it.

Yes.

We should just accept bigots in the game because there's bigots in the game.

Great stuff.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

Great stuff.

No sir. Not my intention at all. I’m more keen people at least consider forgiveness and moving on, when you consider it’s been done before for even worse crimes. 

15 minutes ago, micaley68 said:

Malky addressing the Ro SS KKKounty masses at a pre season meet and greet. 

K8OJ2awNn3vBOMKMEE1Rbcp3LYdBrAZXRdwjSuU0n4E.png

You sometimes look at pictures of these massed Nazi rallies and have to wonder.

Where are the toilets?

1 hour ago, silver said:

I am reminded at this moment in time of John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

If you’re going to quote mythical people on here at least chose someone interesting like Tyrion Lannister or Gandalf.

I admire the County fans on here who are registering their disapproval with the club.  As individuals you may have limited influence but if enough fans do it the message will be made clear.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

Great stuff.

This is on the assumption that someone who holds bigoted views must forever hold those views?
What is the point in anti-racism campaigns, anti discrimination campaigns and so on if we can’t accept people have changed and they don’t repeat those mistakes. Surely we should be desperate for people who once held these views not to hold them now. Not tell them they are a bigot over and over again.

It’s virtue signalling of the highest order and completely counter productive. People needing to prove they are the most against racism, totally losing sight of what the objective is, to convert racist people to not racist and wanting to turn it into an us v them and show they are on the right side. It’s approaching on selfish and a clear desire to make it about them 

Edited by ScottishZizou

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

This is on the assumption that someone who holds bigoted views must forever hold those views?

Well he was in his 40s, had multiple different occasions of showing those were his views to multiple different people, and never apologised for them or said he had changed and still hasn't. Add in the fact he's never "paid a price" beyond losing a job he was likely to lose anyway.

I'd say there's a fairly strong chance that he is still bigoted, aye.

21 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

No sir. Not my intention at all. I’m more keen people at least consider forgiveness and moving on, when you consider it’s been done before for even worse crimes. 

sympathetic to this (there's an interesting point Edward Snowden makes along the lines of "what's the worst thing you've ever typed in a Google search bar?" which in his context is more about how much access to information certain agencies now have but can perhaps simply apply more broadly to our worst vices in private. I know with certainty that I've said some things I really cringe at and regret in, say, private messages over the years - some of it even more recent than I'd like, mostly stuff when I would have been in my teens - and it's stuff that hasn't gone anywhere near as public as Mackay and his texts.) but even if you just look at it cynically, he's only ever a bottle of wine away from potentially doing serious reputational harm to his new employer.

edit: Thought there's probably the crux there; is there any regret from Mackay at what he's said, or just that he was caught out saying it? feels like that's a massive distinction to make, and going by the rest of the thread there's not really been any of either...

My worst thing in Google is probably Alan Lowing Chipmunk Girlfriend, fyi

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well he was in his 40s, had multiple different occasions of showing those were his views to multiple different people, and never apologised for them or said he had changed and still hasn't. Add in the fact he's never "paid a price" beyond losing a job he was likely to lose anyway.

I'd say there's a fairly strong chance that he is still bigoted, aye.

I was unaware that he had expressed those views to anyone else except the same person and also never realised he had done it since the investigation, surely a line in the sand in terms of committing is drawn after he was investigated? That would be the point he would have began rehabilitation surely? 
i agree as referenced above the criteria I think should have been met and that county and him should have taken this on rather than cowardly going around it

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Terrible post to what was a well thought out and perfectly reasonable post by Bino.

Great Post?

"It's unfair to try and force out Mackay because all these horrible folk are in the game aswell, give the poor guy a chance!"

9 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I was unaware that he had expressed those views to anyone else except the same person and also never realised he had done it since the investigation, surely a line in the sand in terms of committing is drawn after he was investigated? That would be the point he would have began rehabilitation surely? 
i agree as referenced above the criteria I think should have been met and that county and him should have taken this on rather than cowardly going around it

It was multiple staff at Cardiff, and that's only the times he was caught.

If you think a middle aged man with such varied prejudices has only ever been that abusive once or twice via text then you're deluded.