The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 17/05/2021 at 00:07, AndyX said:

Time to bring Malin/Kelly/Nicolson/MacDonald/Morrison etc back from up the road.

Should be enough to deal with anything coming up from the lower leagues... 😉

Hertz ?

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

All four loanees gone.

I'd take Hjelde and Lakin back of we could, but Kelly can f**k off. And Hilton never played, so impossible to judge him.

Hjelde looked decent enough.  Could be a decent player down the line. The others, I won’t miss. Hilton, nobody knows.  Lakin did a passable job, but I fear that’s only because he’s slightly better than rubbish like Kelly.   

I’d happily never have another loan player again. 

Must admit I liked Charlie Lakin, he linked up well with Paton and also Hylton and Shaw too but that quartet never saw much game time in the last three months.

I think Leo Hjelde could develop into a TOP class footballer, he's only 17 years old remember. I don't think us, celtic or the player himself would have expected him to have played the amount of first team games that he managed.

I think Yogi has definitely done enough since Christmas to give him an opportunity to try something with us next season.

Would hope we bring in a DOF above him though and have a group of Yogi, Fergie and the DOF identifying transfer targets for the summer.

I believe we have 6 first team players under contract (Donaldson, Grivosti, Iacovitti, Charles-Cook, Shaw & White) so there's plenty scope for change. Would offer Laidlaw and Midge a new deal. And maybe Vigurs but otherwise, a full clearout wouldn't be harsh on anyone else IMHO. Hope we get answers in the next week on contract situations etc as we could really do with getting the squad for next season sorted sooner rather than later as it could be (and hopefully will be) largely a new group of players. 

11 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

I think Yogi has definitely done enough since Christmas to give him an opportunity to try something with us next season.

Would hope we bring in a DOF above him though and have a group of Yogi, Fergie and the DOF identifying transfer targets for the summer.

I believe we have 6 first team players under contract (Donaldson, Grivosti, Iacovitti, Charles-Cook, Shaw & White) so there's plenty scope for change. Would offer Laidlaw and Midge a new deal. And maybe Vigurs but otherwise, a full clearout wouldn't be harsh on anyone else IMHO. Hope we get answers in the next week on contract situations etc as we could really do with getting the squad for next season sorted sooner rather than later as it could be (and hopefully will be) largely a new group of players. 

You don’t think it would be harsh on Jason Naismith? 

8 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

I for one can't wait to see about 13 new faces in the door and to get really excited about the season ahead to then be bottom at Christmas,

If you are keeping yogi on about 10 of those new faces will all be midfielders.

I can see why some people think he should be given a new contract since he managed to keep you up but if he is in charge of rebuilding the squad it’s more than likely to end up with you needing a new manager by Christmas.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

If you are keeping yogi on about 10 of those new faces will all be midfielders.

I can see why some people think he should be given a new contract since he managed to keep you up but if he is in charge of rebuilding the squad it’s more than likely to end up with you needing a new manager by Christmas.

That's my view on it. I think it's hard to argue against the club offering an extension on the face of it but the reality is Yogi's recruitment/ability to rebuild a squad is notoriously bad.

30 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

Don't see him being with us next year even if we did offer a deal. If we can keep him though, brilliant 

Tbh now we’ve stayed up and the fact he’s played some of his best football here in both spells whereas at Peterborough and hibs he is probably put down as being a failure I can’t see why he wouldn’t stay

4 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Tbh now we’ve stayed up and the fact he’s played some of his best football here in both spells whereas at Peterborough and hibs he is probably put down as being a failure I can’t see why he wouldn’t stay

I believe he also owns a property up here rather than renting a place, don't know if that comes into it at all.

3 hours ago, MarkPockets said:

I’m not normally “ITK”, but am very reliably informed Laidlaw signed an extension a good couple of weeks back. The bit I don’t fully recall is the length, but 2 years rings a bell.

52 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

I’m not normally “ITK”, but am very reliably informed Laidlaw signed an extension a good couple of weeks back. The bit I don’t fully recall is the length, but 2 years rings a bell.

^^^ Hangs out at Eastgate Starbucks and is, ergo, ITKAF. 

Edited by Savage Henry

Looking at Yogi’s management career, one of his most successful periods was when he was at Falkirk and a lot of that was down to his ability to bring in really good loan players like Stokes, though IIRC that was down to his ties to Liam Brady rather than his eye for a player.

I don't like it but I'll have to go along with it.

He's done well and proved me wrong. I'll support him but part of me thinks we'll be looking for a new manager by Christmas.