The General Ross County Chat Thread

21 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

What is the aim for County at this point? Just steady, relatively comfortable bottom 6 finishes with the occasional top 6 push and cup run?

Probably. Or at least I hope so. Saint Johnstone's success (on a limited budget and with an equally small fanbase) should be seen as a goal. 

I don't want Hughes to get the job for another year. I don't want another promotion from within either. And I don't hold out much hope of Roy or Fergie making a great appointment. 

21 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

What is the aim for County at this point? Just steady, relatively comfortable bottom 6 finishes with the occasional top 6 push and cup run?

I can't pretend to talk for anyone else but a bit of stability, mixed with a little progression is what I'm after. Relegation would be a hard financial pill to swallow, there's clearly a move away from total reliance on MacGregor's cash injections.

The squad requires refreshing, there's more quality in it than our current position suggests but it's aging. Going into this current season we were on a hiding to nothing with Randall and Reid/Tremarco as our full backs and it affected the team really badly. Naismith back at right back since January has steadied the back line immensely. 

With a few more up & coming players introduced to the team I'd be happy.

9 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'd certainly like to see us put that to the test.

I think a few clubs had asked him already, Falkirk were one. He's a bank manager so it'd take a hefty wage and even then he'd have no job security unless it's something daft like a 6 year deal

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

I can't pretend to talk for anyone else but a bit of stability, mixed with a little progression is what I'm after. Relegation would be a hard financial pill to swallow, there's clearly a move away from total reliance on MacGregor's cash injections.

The squad requires refreshing, there's more quality in it than our current position suggests but it's aging. Going into this current season we were on a hiding to nothing with Randall and Reid/Tremarco as our full backs and it affected the team really badly. Naismith back at right back since January has steadied the back line immensely. 

With a few more up & coming players introduced to the team I'd be happy.

The left back situation should have been enough to get Kettlechips fired.    At least he was big enough to admit he was totally wrong when he turned down Naismith before he went to Hibs, but going into a relegation campaign with a 43 year old backing up a 12 year old was scandalous.  

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I think a few clubs had asked him already, Falkirk were one. He's a bank manager so it'd take a hefty wage and even then he'd have no job security unless it's something daft like a 6 year deal

I don't mean to point out the obvious but I'm fairly confident that an offer of the position of team manager at Ross County, far exceeds that of rent a joke Falkirk in the seaside leagues.

1 minute ago, frankthetank22 said:

I don't mean to point out the obvious but I'm fairly confident that an offer of the position of team manager at Ross County, far exceeds that of rent a joke Falkirk in the seaside leagues.

Oh absolutely, I'm sure a few more clubs have asked the question about him but they were one that I knew off hand that did. I'm sure he's a bank manager for RBS which is about £50k or so a year. Which isn't outside what I imagine Ross County would pay a manager at all. Depends on the job security at the end of the day for him I guess. Guaranteed long term deal with a huge payoff if he's sacked and a big signing on bonus for long term stability would probably do it

I don't want Hughes to get the job for another year. I don't want another promotion from within either. And I don't hold out much hope of Roy or Fergie making a great appointment. 

We’ve effectively got three options. Keeping Hughes, getting someone new or a promotion.
Roy clearly doesn’t have a great track record recently with managers, there’s not a plethora within the club of coaches to promote - so in my eyes the best option is to keep Hughes, whether he’s the best available or not.

38 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

We’ve effectively got three options. Keeping Hughes, getting someone new or a promotion.
Roy clearly doesn’t have a great track record recently with managers, there’s not a plethora within the club of coaches to promote - so in my eyes the best option is to keep Hughes, whether he’s the best available or not.

Don is probably the only coach internally you'd think would make the step up if required. I genuinely can't see Roy binning Hughes at all at the end of the season even though in an ideal world someone better comes in. Any more than a one year deal is criminal given his track record though.

On 14/05/2021 at 18:10, Matty-RCFC said:

Who you gonna get in instead then?

Ah, the perennial flawed question. Only in football do people seem to think you need to know who you're going to give the job to before advertising, interviewing and actually knowing who'd be interested - or in fact before there's even a vacancy to fill.

I don't know who we should get in instead, because I don't know who'd apply and how they would come accross. It would be the height of stupidity to keep Yogi just because hypothetically without conducting any actual process that there's no obvious name.

15 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

So you're saying if you make a bad choice, your best option is to double down on it instead of trying again?

I've got nothing to base this on but I suspect that if we give Yogi a new deal, we'll be sacking him before Christmas. And then it's back to where we were at Christmas this season.

31 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Truly awful that it was in your own hands and you only needed a draw, and you've shit the bed. Cheers for ruining all my fellow Ayr fans weekend 

You might just get your derby next season, after all.

29 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

We've actually stayed up??

How'd that happen?

It really is an eternal damnation on Hamilton and Kilmarnock.  I have no idea how this squad has stayed up.