The General Ross County Chat Thread

Honestly, I think Hughes’ football is eye bleedingly bad. If he manages to keep that squad up, he deserves an extension, because a) the squad is atrocious and b) he doesn’t even pick the best players.  

He also seems like a thoroughly decent bloke, and that has to be worth something. 

I wasn't keen on Yogi getting the job, but with the awful squad Ketts left him, the difficulties Covid gave him in terms of signing and the fact the purse strings are much, much tighter now he's done a job somewhat similar to Jimmy Calderwood when he came in. The football is generally awful, but we're in with a shot of 10th which looked unlikely for long spells. Is he the man to bring in the reams of new players we need for next season? Previous evidence says no.

Still on the fence.

Edited by Comrie

I think it speaks volumes about how much he’s adapted as a manager though. Everyone’s expected him to come in and have the team popping the ball around. Instead he’s been direct to big Jordan White and got everybody playing off him. Not attractive but certainly effective. Ultimately he’s got the results that will, hopefully now, keep us up.

I said this a while back, but I'm not convinced JH will want to stay at County regardless of whither he keeps us up or not. Can't really put my finger on what it is, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the summer.

If it was down to me, however, I'd be reasonably pleased if he stays. For all that we've played some shite football this year, not least Wednesday night, I've not been quite as despondent as some on here with some of the performances. 

Keeps us up = a shot at next season imo.

10 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I think it speaks volumes about how much he’s adapted as a manager though. Everyone’s expected him to come in and have the team popping the ball around. Instead he’s been direct to big Jordan White and got everybody playing off him. Not attractive but certainly effective. Ultimately he’s got the results that will, hopefully now, keep us up.

It's almost like the whole "John Hughes plays football the right way" is a myth...

I'd probably give Hughes a 1 year extension if he keeps us up, in all honesty though I have no faith in his recruitment and team selection whatsoever. For every good decision he makes there seems to be a stinker to counter balance it for example Spittal getting games in his favoured position but then that's knocked by Paton and Lakin never getting a start anymore.

Hylton and Shaw were two of his best performers and they're glued to the bench at the moment. 

Just a bizarre football manager but if he keeps us up then fair fucks to him.

It's almost like the whole "John Hughes plays football the right way" is a myth...

He was one of the main reasons of your clubs most successful period, playing football the “right way”. Is that not first-hand proof that it’s not a myth?

There's a lot of talk as if we were safe but we're FAR from safe from relegation.  Can this Hughes team avoid defeat at Motherwell?

I must admit I'm not impressed with Hughes and if what we've seen from him, is what we're going to get, I'd rather we appointed someone else to manager the first team next season.

He seems a decent bloke and I'd far rather have a few pints with him in the pub than watch one of his teams play football.  His line-ups, tactics and style of football are eye bleedingly bad.  If we survive relegation this season, imo it'll be despite John Hughes, not because of him.

I'm concerned by people thinking we should keep Yogi. Truly mind-boggling. We need a full rebuild and some want those to be Yogi recruitments? Shoot me now.

5 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

I'd probably give Hughes a 1 year extension if he keeps us up, in all honesty though I have no faith in his recruitment and team selection whatsoever. For every good decision he makes there seems to be a stinker to counter balance it for example Spittal getting games in his favoured position but then that's knocked by Paton and Lakin never getting a start anymore.

Hylton and Shaw were two of his best performers and they're glued to the bench at the moment. 

Just a bizarre football manager but if he keeps us up then fair fucks to him.

Paton was probably the only player that you've mentioned that actually deserved to be dropped imo.

Agree with Shaw and Hylton, and I think our midfield is better for Lakin being in there.

9 minutes ago, Spain said:

I'm concerned by people thinking we should keep Yogi. Truly mind-boggling. We need a full rebuild and some want those to be Yogi recruitments? Shoot me now.

Yep. It feels like a similar situation to when Jimmy Calderwood kept us in Division One back in 2011. If he keeps us up, thank him for his work and move on to a better appointment.

I don't fancy another season scraping around in the bottom 2 with long balls being shelled towards Jordan White's head at every opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yep. It feels like a similar situation to when Jimmy Calderwood kept us in Division One back in 2011. If he keeps us up, thank him for his work and move on to a better appointment.

I don't fancy another season scraping around in the bottom 2 with long balls being shelled towards Jordan White's head at every opportunity.

The problem I have is that I don't know who else we could realistically get in and Roy seems very jobs for the boys when it comes to managerial appointments.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

What is the aim for County at this point? Just steady, relatively comfortable bottom 6 finishes with the occasional top 6 push and cup run?

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He was one of the main reasons of your clubs most successful period, playing football the “right way”. Is that not first-hand proof that it’s not a myth?

A lot of the football under Hughes was really very poor. Pass across the back, aimless lump forward. Repeat.

At times we played some nice stuff but we also did so under Butcher. The whole Yogi plays great football is completely over stated.

Definitely better than Brewster though...

As stated, the big issue is who do we get in? With out wages no longer as big as they were under McIntyre, the lure of the yacht on the Cromarty Firth has been replaced by a bonus burn on the boating pond in Peff Park.

16 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

What is the aim for County at this point? Just steady, relatively comfortable bottom 6 finishes with the occasional top 6 push and cup run?

By that post I assume you see Dundee as a threat to Celtic and Rangers if you manage to get through the play offs.

TBF that is a wee bit disrespectful, no team goes into the Premiership expecting to be struggling to stay up at the end of the season and your team has been in that situation a couple of times.

As long as we have two Premiership teams able to easily afford better players than the rest then the rest will always be also rans.

Could be you are erring on the 'pride before the fall' or 'counting your chickens before they hatch.'

You're doing well with Raith but there's more to come on the 20th of May.

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

By that post I assume you see Dundee as a threat to Celtic and Rangers if you manage to get through the play offs.

TBF that is a wee bit disrespectful, no team goes into the Premiership expecting to be struggling to stay up at the end of the season and your team has been in that situation a couple of times.

As long as we have two Premiership teams able to easily afford better players than the rest then the rest will always be also rans.

Could be you are erring on the 'pride before the fall' or 'counting your chickens before they hatch.'

You're doing well with Raith but there's more to come on the 20th of May.

... No, I just asked what the aim is for Ross County.

Cheers for the laugh though.

21 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Who you gonna get in instead then?

I'd go for Stuart Petrie and his backroom team (Campbell &Bullock) from Montrose.

Certainly imo the Manager of the year in Scotland, what he's done with that Montrose squad in the last few seasons is nothing short of remarkable.

18 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'd go for Stuart Petrie and his backroom team (Campbell &Bullock) from Montrose.

Certainly imo the Manager of the year in Scotland, what he's done with that Montrose squad in the last few seasons is nothing short of remarkable.

He doesn't want to move to FT football as he's got a good job outside of football.