The General Ross County Chat Thread

6 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

That's big Yogi got a touchline ban for the last 2 games of the season, won't make much difference cause he can just shout from the stand surely.

How much is a Ross County PPV ticket? Hearing Yogi trying to bellow over everyone in an empty stadium could provide terrific value.

Also is Hjelde still making decent progress?

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

How much is a Ross County PPV ticket? Hearing Yogi trying to bellow over everyone in an empty stadium could provide terrific value.

I think it's about £15 if i'm not mistaken, you hear him every week when he's on the touchline so he'll be extra loud on wednesday. Hjelde is making good progress I really rate him and would be happy with us having him again next season as he's only going to get better. He has his flaws defensively but he's got a lot of good attributes.

On 02/05/2021 at 22:25, TheScarf said:

Nah the mallard is tiny. There’s no way it would become a Wetherspoons.

Also the toilets are not far enough away to give it that authentic wetherspoons feel.

Ross County manager stats in the top tier:-

Adams: 80 games, 93 points. PPG = 1.165

McIntyre: 116 games, 142 points. PPG = 1.224

Coyle: 21 games, 17 points. PPG = 0.809

Ferg/Ketts: 40 games, 37 points. PPG = 0.925

Ketts: 18 games, 13 points. PPG = 0.722

Yogi: 19 games, 23 points. PPG = 1.210

Yogi career manager stats in the top tier: 316 games, 398 points. PPG = 1.259

Just sayin', like.

On 06/05/2021 at 16:14, gannonball said:

Making decent headway and is a passable left back but it's clearly not the position he wants to play.

11 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Ross County manager stats in the top tier:-

Adams: 80 games, 93 points. PPG = 1.165

McIntyre: 116 games, 142 points. PPG = 1.224

Coyle: 21 games, 17 points. PPG = 0.809

Ferg/Ketts: 40 games, 37 points. PPG = 0.925

Ketts: 18 games, 13 points. PPG = 0.722

Yogi: 19 games, 23 points. PPG = 1.210

Yogi career manager stats in the top tier: 316 games, 398 points. PPG = 1.259

Just sayin', like.

That's not going to go down well 😂 Nothing like a wee reality check, eh. I had been planning posting one of my own (as much to play devil's advocate as anything else) once the season was (hopefully positively) concluded and attention inevitably turned to the question of whether we want Hughes in charge next season. A lot of people have already made their thoughts on that very clear... 

Now, there's obviously a lot more to it than what follows, (people have talked about him not being great at recruiting / assembling a decent team of his own, for example), but in addition to your own observations, another cold, hard fact is that since Hughes took over in December, County have been the 8th best team in the league. Nothing spectacular - but how many managers out there are  realistically going to get County doing much better than that?

Regardless of what any of us feel about Hughes, if we do end up binning him we better make absolutely certain we're replacing him with somebody better! If we manage that, after a bit of bedding in / rebuilding, we could potentially look forward to some relatively good years ahead. That would be delightful, and my first choice scenario. What I really DON'T want is to look back on binning Hughes and ending up worse off because of it...

Edited by The Great Stagsby

Guest Ieuan16

With Hearts, and potentially Dundee, in the Premiership next season, the club cannot afford to get this upcoming transfer window wrong. If County stay up, next year is going to be an even greater struggle without Hamilton in the league as a relegation safety blanket. That is one of the main reasons why I don't want to see Hughes at the club beyond the summer. His recruitment isn't good enough and his team selection and treatment of some players leaves a lot to be desired.

When you look at the squad at present, there are very few players I believe are of a good enough quality to keep County in the league next year, which will ultimately be the aim again.

I saw someone on OTB saying 24 players are out of contract in the Summer, so essentially the whole squad. No matter if it is Hughes or someone else, they are going to retain around half of those. Trying to get another twenty odd players in just a couple months isn’t an envious task (unless you really enjoy Football Manager). I can’t see MacGregor getting rid of Hughes if we stay up, and in truth even if we drop I would still expect to see him come the start of next season.

I would love to think that MacGregor might actually look into a scouting system, or employ someone who can oversee transfers. I can’t be dealing with us signing someone like Brad McKay because it’s the easy thing to do.

I think Midge might get offered a one year deal and I would possibly expect it to be his last at the club. He's been a fantastic servant over the years and is still by far our most technically gifted player but he's past 35 and can no longer play every week for 90 minutes. I really wish he could but time waits for no player.

I’ve had a think about it today and whilst County haven’t been pleasing on the eye and, overall, enjoyable to be a fan of this season, I think Hughes deserves another go at it next season.

For far too long we’ve chopped and changed managers and, ultimately, it’s not worked. With the majority of the squad out of a deal this season, it’s an opportunity for Hughes to use his contacts, which will be large no doubt, and bring in some of his own players.

When you look at his recruitment, we’ve brought in White, Hjelde, Maouche and Andreu in Hughes’ time. White has worked like a dog since he’s come in, done very well in a lone striker role and chipped in with a few vital goals, namely Utd away and Celtic. Hjelde has been a very solid find, and I reckon he’ll return on loan next season as I don’t think he’s quite ready for Celtic first team yet. Maouche and Andreu haven’t been successes it’s fair to say, but I think Hughes probably has more of an understanding of the squad now to the point where (hopefully) he wouldn’t spend the majority of his budget on creative midfielders.

Put it this way. I understand we aren’t safe yet, and touch wood we get at least a point at Motherwell on Sunday. But if you’d have asked me in December when Kettlewell was sacked if I would’ve kept Hughes for next season if he keeps us up, I probably would’ve said yes. He’s also unearthed Spittal again who could be a big player for us next season.

I’ve not been his biggest fan throughout the season but he’s starting to get a tune out of a few of the squad and maybe a full pre-season and a new look squad may be a good shout. May be an unpopular opinion but just my personal view.