The General Ross County Chat Thread

I would be happy with Stephen Kelly losing the ball all the time if he was constantly trying to play forward passes and be creative, he loses the ball by passing it sideways or backwards to the opposition. He's rotten, would rather Mark Klok or Terry Dunfield.

Kelly has shown a few flickers of promise in some games, but playing him alongside Vigurs has been a disaster, his defensive work is shoddy and his set piece delivery is utterly abominable. But as said above, that's still better than Euan Henderson.

38 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Kelly has shown a few flickers of promise in some games, but playing him alongside Vigurs has been a disaster, his defensive work is shoddy and his set piece delivery is utterly abominable. But as said above, that's still better than Euan Henderson.

It’s funny how bad some of our loanees from Celtic and Rangers have been.  Henderson, Kelly, and Doohan in the last couple of years have been dreadful.  

As for the Athletic... in the US some of the best sports writers work for it.   Here it appears to be overpromoted bloggers.

Edited by Savage Henry

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s funny how bad some of our loanees from Celtic and Rangers have been.  Henderson, Kelly, and Doohan in the last couple of years have been dreadful.  

As for the Athletic... in the US some of the best sports writers work for it.   Here it appears to be overpromoted bloggers.

You wonder how half of them get as far up the age groups as they do, before getting released and signing for Airdrie or Albion Rovers.

You do also get utter peaches like Kai Kennedy.  But yes on the whole, Old Firm youth players are average to poor.

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You wonder how half of them get as far up the age groups as they do, before getting released and signing for Airdrie or Albion Rovers.

You do also get utter peaches like Kai Kennedy.  But yes on the whole, Old Firm youth players are average to poor.

Yup.  I’d have no problem with these guys coming in on face value, but people talking this guy Kelly up as if he’s the next big thing, or Doohan as if he’s Celtic’s next keeper is just wrong.  It doesn’t help the players, for a start.  And it happens all the time.  I have no idea why clubs keep doing it.

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Presumably most are just kept so the 1/2 actual talents have a team to play with/mates at the club, until they get loaned out themselves or break through.

There’s potential there with Kelly but the position we are in we cannot be relying on potential we need the finished article , I think he’ll have a career at like a hearts , Aberdeen or hibs eventually

No danger; I’m thinking more of a Morton or Ayr level.

Ultimately this means nothing, but my daft wee model doesn't even think Kelly and Davis are even similar types of players.

808826464_kellyvdavis.thumb.png.7fa2b48590fed34e451054f88d9c7559.png

Left is their "style",  right is how well they play it compared to the division.

Ultimately this means nothing, but my daft wee model doesn't even think Kelly and Davis are even similar types of players.
Left is their "style",  right is how well they play it compared to the division.

You should’ve saved some time and not made that graphic mate. The only arsehole that tells you they’re similar is John Hughes and that says all you need to know.

Hughes always pimps his players out to the old firm. I know Kelly is a Rangers player technically but he’s mad for wishing his players away to them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I love the effort, but a simple he's horse shite would have been sufficient.

So... how are folks thinking about yesterday?   If there’s any consolation from watching Hughes teams pump the ball long from the full back position for 90 minutes, it’s that, somehow, Kilmarnock’s centre backs looked worse than ours.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

So... how are folks thinking about yesterday?   If there’s any consolation from watching Hughes teams pump the ball long from the full back position for 90 minutes, it’s that, somehow, Kilmarnock’s centre backs looked worse than ours.

Yup, the Killie centre backs look honking, I mean Jay McEveley standards of honking!

Yesterday was all about avoiding defeat imo, although the three points were far more achievable than they initially appeared, maybe an opportunity missed but shouldn't be a disaster.  I expect us to pick up points from our two midweek home games and  I'd expect DU and Motherwell to score a few against the killie defence in their next couple of games.

15 hours ago, Down The Divisions Podcast said:

2064318044_Rossad.thumb.jpg.f0de53f40a545a7dd234eb0bd942b29f.jpg

Hi everyone. We hope you don't mind us briefly joining this thread. We just wanted to alert you to our podcast episode this week in case it interested any of you. The graphic pretty much says it all. Such an inspirational story. Thanks for any support.

I'm intrigued and slightly appalled by the "leaving the land registry" hook.   

Ross Stewart is absolutely the most improved player I've seen at County.  It's almost as if he took on board everything Kettlewell told him. I'm reminded of Fletcher's progress under Ferguson.   Scratch that.  It's almost as if he ignored everything Kettlewell told him.