The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

The team needs a couple of seasons in the championship.  Most of the squad needs to be released.   There’s no chance Naismith or Shaw are County players next season either. 

Are you serious, no team EVER needs a couple of seasons in the Championship, it's a graveyard for teams, just look at Dundee, Dunfermline & ICT. It's far easier to do a rebuild whilst in the top division.

Survival is far from beyond us (even with Hughes at the helm), the next fixture, away to Killie is huge but not necessarily a must win, more of a must avoid defeat game I'd say, as that puts the pressure and focus straight back onto Killie and Wright.  We can certainly win our two midweek home games so any away points in this short run in are a bonus.

48 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Are you serious, no team EVER needs a couple of seasons in the Championship, it's a graveyard for teams, just look at Dundee, Dunfermline & ICT. It's far easier to do a rebuild whilst in the top division.

Survival is far from beyond us (even with Hughes at the helm), the next fixture, away to Killie is huge but not necessarily a must win, more of a must avoid defeat game I'd say, as that puts the pressure and focus straight back onto Killie and Wright.  We can certainly win our two midweek home games so any away points in this short run in are a bonus.

What’s wrong with where Dunfermline and ICT are?  That level seems a far better fit for County than 10th or 11th in the top flight.

I switched over last night and watched something else at half-time because it was just so boring. Checked WhatsApp to see we were 1-2 down and assumed it finished 1-2 (saw the final score on Twitter this morning).

I've been quite apathetic this season. There's a disconnect without being able to get to games, and I can count on one hand the number of full games I've watched this season. It's less than the number I've started then turned off out of boredom.

There's a big clear out needed at the club. Coaching staff get given cushty gigs because of who they are, rather than any evidence of them being decent coaches. We've had more shite managers over my time watching the club than good ones so I'm not holding out much hope that the next appointment is going to be a good one. 

The squad is dreadful. And we've had rubbish, unbalanced, bloated squads for the past four or five years. I can't remember the last time we had a decent left-back or left-sided midfielder. The vast majority of this squad need binned. If I were Jason Naismith I'd be frantically looking for another club because he's far too good to be playing with these players. 

Hughes has improved us but he's rubbish.  Like Coyle, he's yesterday's man but County inexplicably give him the gig. He doesn't know his best system or his best team.

The worst part of it is that regardless of survival or relegation is that nothing changes! Stay up and we continue with the treading water approach. Go down and it's the same as last time - short term thinking to bounce back straight away. I got no enjoyment out of the last Championship winning season, it was underwhelming.

TL;DR - we're shit, I'm underwhelmed with everything about the club at the moment, and apathetic about relegation.

12 minutes ago, yoda said:

I switched over last night and watched something else at half-time because it was just so boring. Checked WhatsApp to see we were 1-2 down and assumed it finished 1-2 (saw the final score on Twitter this morning).

I've been quite apathetic this season. There's a disconnect without being able to get to games, and I can count on one hand the number of full games I've watched this season. It's less than the number I've started then turned off out of boredom.

There's a big clear out needed at the club. Coaching staff get given cushty gigs because of who they are, rather than any evidence of them being decent coaches. We've had more shite managers over my time watching the club than good ones so I'm not holding out much hope that the next appointment is going to be a good one. 

The squad is dreadful. And we've had rubbish, unbalanced, bloated squads for the past four or five years. I can't remember the last time we had a decent left-back or left-sided midfielder. The vast majority of this squad need binned. If I were Jason Naismith I'd be frantically looking for another club because he's far too good to be playing with these players. 

Hughes has improved us but he's rubbish.  Like Coyle, he's yesterday's man but County inexplicably give him the gig. He doesn't know his best system or his best team.

The worst part of it is that regardless of survival or relegation is that nothing changes! Stay up and we continue with the treading water approach. Go down and it's the same as last time - short term thinking to bounce back straight away. I got no enjoyment out of the last Championship winning season, it was underwhelming.

TL;DR - we're shit, I'm underwhelmed with everything about the club at the moment, and apathetic about relegation.

This.  Absolutely this.  The problem is, next season they’ll bring in a rent-a-right-back, lose all the better players, and still have enough to scrape the Championship.

I look at our squad and think who out of any of them would another bottom six club take? Laidlaw? Morris? Naismith? Grivosti?

The rest? No chance. 

Edited by Comrie

12 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I disagree, we have a 5 game mini season to save our top division status (maybe 7 with a playoff).   

For some time I have felt that under JH the team are stumbling into selections/formations/results, and are sleep walking into the championship.  I don't see or know of anyone obvious to come in and get a reaction but I'd give Cowie the opportunity for the run in and see what he and the squad can get out of these games.

Going forward into next season, I'd be on the look out for an experienced new manager to work alongside Don and Richie.

If a coaching team fails with 2 managers in one season I think it says as much about them as it does the managers getting punted...

10 hours ago, Loki said:

I am pretty sure when Yogi gets fired Roy will roll the bring back Adams dice.

At the current time I think that wouldn’t be a bad appointment he knows what the club is about which can’t be said for many at the moment

The problem is Hughes, like many Scottish managers, is that he only knows one way to play. And he gets this teams to play that way regardless of the personnel. 

You can’t force players to play a system or formation if they can’t adapt to it. That’s Hughes’ downfall. It worked at The Caley because he inherited a great squad from Terry Butcher. He inherited a complete gang from Kettlewell. You need to play a way that plays to the strength of the players. Not some wet dream way of ‘total football’ that lots of managers seem to have.

On 26/12/2020 at 23:25, Rcfc fan said:

Keep

laidlaw

doohan

watson

morris

iacovitti

reid

gardyne

vigurs 

tillson 

draper 

kelly

lakin

paton

stewart

rid

Donaldson

tremarco

mckay

maybe

charles cook

hylton

shaw

On 02/04/2021 at 23:02, Rcfc fan said:

Let’s be honest other than 

laidlaw

naismith

hjelde

lakin (not on tonight’s showing)

shaw

hylton

mckay

spittal

paton

none of the rest are worth keeping

It's sure been a cold cold winter and a lot of love is all burned out.

If the winter prospectus was implemented, Mckay would already be gone and that would leave a squad of just eight. Fighting the spectre of relegation with a full compliment is onerous enough so suggesting it can be done with eight is bold indeed.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The problem is Hughes, like many Scottish managers, is that he only knows one way to play. And he gets this teams to play that way regardless of the personnel. 

You can’t force players to play a system or formation if they can’t adapt to it. That’s Hughes’ downfall. It worked at The Caley because he inherited a great squad from Terry Butcher. He inherited a complete gang from Kettlewell. You need to play a way that plays to the strength of the players. Not some wet dream way of ‘total football’ that lots of managers seem to have.

Callum Davidson seems to have done alright.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Crap,players are pawns on a chess board you tell them what to do if your not happy with one player he gets replaced with another.
Glad to see the staggies out the cup.

How  does that work when 90% of the squad is shite?

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's what transfer windows are for.

John Hughes is not to be trusted with signing players. You’d need to have next to zero knowledge of Scottish football to not know that.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

John Hughes is not to be trusted with signing players. You’d need to have next to zero knowledge of Scottish football to not know that.

A recruitment department knows where the club wants to go and the style of play the management wants to create.
Personally I like the way big yogi likes to play the game,if you don't that's up to you. 

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's what transfer windows are for.

Have you seen our transfer policy over the last four seasons?

We'll sign any shite, as long as they're central midfielders.