The General Ross County Chat Thread

After watching the highlights of the win over Accies, it was telling how pish Iacovitti was by the bollocking Morris was giving him for, Iacovitti's part in the Kelly OG. 

I mean Iacovitti follows his man to near the halfway line to challenge for a ball then when the Accies player lays it off, Iacovitti just gives up on him and fails to track his run and eventual cross. Morris is dragged across the pitch to try and cover, makes a good block but can't stop the second cross, which results in the goal. 

Hughes needs to get a hold of Iacovitti and ensure that he gets his finger out.  The mistakes he's making are costing us goals but imo they're not about ability but aptitude and concentration.

1 minute ago, frankthetank22 said:

After watching the highlights of the win over Accies, it was telling how pish Iacovitti was by the bollocking Morris was giving him for, Iacovitti's part in the Kelly OG. 

I mean Iacovitti follows his man to near the halfway line to challenge for a ball then when the Accies player lays it off, Iacovitti just gives up on him and fails to track his run and eventual cross. Morris is dragged across the pitch to try and cover, makes a good block but can't stop the second cross, which results in the goal. 

Hughes needs to get a hold of Iacovitti and ensure that he gets his finger out.  The mistakes he's making are costing us goals but imo they're not about ability but aptitude and concentration.

Morris is about the only player in central defence that gets pass marks this season. Iacovitti is living off that Celtic header, Watson has looked a yard off and Donaldson is good at aerial challenges (best since Davies tbh) but can't stop having brain farts.

29 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Morris is about the only player in central defence that gets pass marks this season. Iacovitti is living off that Celtic header, Watson has looked a yard off and Donaldson is good at aerial challenges (best since Davies tbh) but can't stop having brain farts.

I can't help it, I'm a fan of Watson, I just don't think Kettlewell or Hughes (so far) have given him much of a chance, other than a few games at right back before Naismith was available.

On 02/02/2021 at 17:46, Comrie said:

"Remember when we had good centre halves like Jim Lauchlan?"

god please nobody deserves that

Said this before on here but I was in a gold sook in Dubai about 5 years ago and randomly there was an autographed photo of Jim Lauchlan on the front window of the shop. A rather bizarre experience.

What's people's thoughts on life under Yogi so far? He has now been in charge for a third of the league games we have played this season. We haven't been particularly consistent in that time, and we've rarely been tremendous, but here's his stats compared to Ketts' for this season:

Yogi:

9 games played. 1.22 goals per game scored. 1.88 per game conceded. 1.1 points per game.

Kettlewell: (Figures in brackets represent his last 15 games, ignoring the wonder-start made to the league - the kind of selectivity some people might not approve of but for me it's a relevant factor in measuring the impact of the change of manager)

18 games played. 0.56 (0.4) goals per game scored. 1.88 (2.13)  per game conceded. 0.7 (0.4) points per game.

For me, whilst we are unspectacular, inconsistent and far from safe, there are very clear improvements. Defense clearly still our biggest concern. Will the improvements be enough to keep us up? Who can really say. I think there's more reason for hope than there was under Kettlewell.

Edited to add: In Yogi first 9 compared to Kettelewell last 9, Yogi has us scoring 4 times as many goals, conceding 15% less goals and picking up almost 6 times as many points.

Edited by The Great Stagsby

I think, with the Rangers game aside, we've just about been in every other game since he arrived. We've definetly improved, don't think there can be any debate about that. As you say, we're far from safe but I think there's genuine beleif that the squad can get themselves out of trouble and up the table. Well, at least to 10th anyway.

Had we lost on Wednesday I'd have said we were staring relegation in the face, but JH has installed a bit more fight in the players. As much as I like SK, if he'd still been in charge then I fear we'd already be well adrift by now.

Big improvements have been made under yogi , the hibs and Aberdeen games were just brilliant , the 2 against the old firm were kind of expected losses anyway we were unlucky against Motherwell as a draw would’ve been fair , Hamilton was one of the poorer performances since yogis arrival but fair play to him the subs turned the game on its head , his experience and motivational skills are paying off in my opinion

Edited by Rcfc fan

23 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

Is the game in any threat with the weather tomorrow?

No snow or ice in Dingwall just now,  plenty on higher ground but that doesn’t include the stadium so don’t think there will be a problem. Of course this is Scotland in February so...

20 hours ago, gannonball said:

Said this before on here but I was in a gold sook in Dubai about 5 years ago and randomly there was an autographed photo of Jim Lauchlan on the front window of the shop. A rather bizarre experience.

How much did you pay for it?

8 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

What's people's thoughts on life under Yogi so far? He has now been in charge for a third of the league games we have played this season. We haven't been particularly consistent in that time, and we've rarely been tremendous, but here's his stats compared to Ketts' for this season:

Yogi:

9 games played. 1.22 goals per game scored. 1.88 per game conceded. 1.1 points per game.

Kettlewell: (Figures in brackets represent his last 15 games, ignoring the wonder-start made to the league - the kind of selectivity some people might not approve of but for me it's a relevant factor in measuring the impact of the change of manager)

18 games played. 0.56 (0.4) goals per game scored. 1.88 (2.13)  per game conceded. 0.7 (0.4) points per game.

For me, whilst we are unspectacular, inconsistent and far from safe, there are very clear improvements. Defense clearly still our biggest concern. Will the improvements be enough to keep us up? Who can really say. I think there's more reason for hope than there was under Kettlewell.

Edited to add: In Yogi first 9 compared to Kettelewell last 9, Yogi has us scoring 4 times as many goals, conceding 15% less goals and picking up almost 6 times as many points.

Under Ketts we were totally dead and buried. With Yogi there have been improvements. His hands are kinda tied with dealings in the transfer market as well, but we've a chance now.

Tried to be positive all season and look on the bright side but it’s a shambles. Be astonished if we managed to stay outside the bottom 2, let alone stay up. If you can’t defend basic set-pieces and you’re conceding 70+ goals a season (which we will) you deserve to go down.

22 hours ago, Comrie said:

Under Ketts we were totally dead and buried. With Yogi there have been improvements. His hands are kinda tied with dealings in the transfer market as well, but we've a chance now.

Like the end of "Carrie" there's now a hand reaching desperately from the grave trying to grab at life. But, hey, it's only a dream and she's dead and buried after all.  I fear it will come to pass once more.

Tbh I was quick impressed with a lot of our play yesterday, despite the scoreline.

Hughes took the bold decision to drop Shaw to the bench and start with McKay & White. Shaw's form has been a revelation of late so to drop him was brave. For me, with the use of hindsight, it didn't work. White was largely anonymous, only once I can remember him holding the ball up and laying it off to Andreu. It was an experiment that didn't pay off, White imo is better used as an impact sub, when we're chasing a goal.

The insistence on ALWAYS playing a deep lying playmaker (Vigurs/Kelly) instead of sometimes a ball winner, or sitter is costing us too.  It just wasn't happening for Kelly yesterday (he's meant to be highly rated by Gerrard but frankly I'm not convinced) but Hughes took the decision to preserver with him and he just got worse and worse. Every move seemed to breakdown when the ball went through him. It was a judgement call and again, with the benefit of hindsight Tillson or Draper should have come on earlier.

Then the subs, Paton, Hylton, McKay off for Lakin, Gardyne, Shaw. It was all like for like, we didn't change anything up, in fact we lost some attacking verve as Hylton and McKay were linking up quite well with the midfield.

This sounds like I'm not happy with Hughes but I am, there's been an improvement in attacking intent and general link up play and he's trying things to shore up that defence, Hjelde has been a great addition.

Yesterday against united I thought we were the better team and were unlucky not to have scored the first goal.

Hughes took some chances and gave a few players an opportunity yesterday, it didn't work and some of the players let him down, hopefully Hughes learns from this.

The issue is, for spell we played decent but ineffective football. Other than the Hylton drive that their keeper palmed away he didn't have anything seriously difficult to deal with.

Both goals came from individual mistakes (Kelly's dreadful corner, Morris not matching Edward's run). It's been a repeating theme this season but individual mistakes have cost us again and again. And the even bigger issue is it's not just one per game. It's multiple ones. We got lucky with Hjelde's fresh air swipe as wel.

FWIW I also though Tremarco did another decent job down the left. Didn't do much wrong.