The General Ross County Chat Thread

39 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’m sorry mate but this is an awful take.

Why can’t a club have ambition? We have a forward-thinking chairman, excellent training facilities and I would say a fairly capable squad. My personal opinion is that this squad is certainly good enough to avoid relegation and there is definitely a top six spot available, so why shouldn’t fans set that as a target because if everyone pulled their wait, as shown at this “wee village club” before, we can achieve top 6.

To say that Kettlewell may have had his hands tied is nonsense. He brought in a whole new defence this year as well as some other dossers. Roy has backed him every year he’s been here but ultimately his recruitment hasn’t been good enough. Don’t get me wrong i’m aware recruitment isn’t solely on him but he has (i’m assuming) final say on who signs and who doesn’t.

This has been a tough year for us all and we’re just looking for the players to show a bit of fight and a bit of hunger to win. I’m aware there are things more important than football but it’s means so much to us which is why we are all vocal because we all want the best for the club. Everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that with Kettlewell in charge we are starting down the barrel of a gun.

I would also agree that we have a 'fairly capable squad', better than Hamilton, but not much more than Livingston and St. Mirren. Am sure fans of both clubs would argue against that. Sure, better, but not a lot better. This season, both Motherwell & St. Johnstone have better, larger squads for the season. If we finish above them, it would be a great season! As much good as the training facilities are, they don't trump location when players are so far away from family! Even money doesn't. Sometimes it's not about money. As ambitious as the chairman is, we don't have the pulling power of a central belt club, Motherwell being an example. As we can see clubs like Motherwell are seen as a great stepping stone to much bigger things, County this happens, sure, but very rarely, mostly by fluke, not often really. When it is by luck the manager is hailed a genius, when in actual fact it could be some scout we never hear of or some unknown in the background that made the move happen. 

Was there another Jackson Irvine out there waiting to be signing, willing to move location, move away from family during these times of restrictions? Or a Boyce, Chris Burke, Boukraa type player? How much money was available? I'm guessing not as much as we assume. In a time when crowds are zero, to end up like Dundee United are in now? I will take relegation and the club to exist, worst case scenario anyday. Will ICT exist next year, seriously? Will we have rivals? I hope so, but maybe not. The is a reason why County shopped ICT players, season after season, not to weaken them but there wasn't much options elsewhere. Young players often just want to live centrally, close to their families. During these times, even more understandable.

It would have to be some manager/scout with contacts to get a top quality player in like the ones I mentioned. As for the players leaving, was there issues behind the scenes? I'm guessing there probably most definitely was. Why always take the side of the player leaving, always blaming the manager? Maybe in the long run it was better they left even if it made the squad weaker in the short term? All clubs have had to deal with such issues. I'm sure Kettlewell didn't solely make those decisions, I reckon it was group-think and Ferguson & Macgregor may well have been part of it. 

I wouldn't be suprised to see County finish top 6, even this season, though I am seriously doubting now! Hehe, but to expect that as a natural outcome, natural order all because of training facilites and a little more money than the rivals, no. Too early to be calling for the manager's head, will wait till January and reckon even, even if a bad series of results we still won't be bottom of the table. Not happening this season. 

17 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I would also agree that we have a 'fairly capable squad', better than Hamilton, but not much more than Livingston and St. Mirren. Am sure fans of both clubs would argue against that. Sure, better, but not a lot better. This season, both Motherwell & St. Johnstone have better, larger squads for the season. If we finish above them, it would be a great season! As much good as the training facilities are, they don't trump location when players are so far away from family! Even money doesn't. Sometimes it's not about money. As ambitious as the chairman is, we don't have the pulling power of a central belt club, Motherwell being an example. As we can see clubs like Motherwell are seen as a great stepping stone to much bigger things, County this happens, sure, but very rarely, mostly by fluke, not often really. When it is by luck the manager is hailed a genius, when in actual fact it could be some scout we never hear of or some unknown in the background that made the move happen. 

Was there another Jackson Irvine out there waiting to be signing, willing to move location, move away from family during these times of restrictions? Or a Boyce, Chris Burke, Boukraa type player? How much money was available? I'm guessing not as much as we assume. In a time when crowds are zero, to end up like Dundee United are in now? I will take relegation and the club to exist, worst case scenario anyday. Will ICT exist next year, seriously? Will we have rivals? I hope so, but maybe not. The is a reason why County shopped ICT players, season after season, not to weaken them but there wasn't much options elsewhere. Young players often just want to live centrally, close to their families. During these times, even more understandable.

It would have to be some manager/scout with contacts to get a top quality player in like the ones I mentioned. As for the players leaving, was there issues behind the scenes? I'm guessing there probably most definitely was. Why always take the side of the player leaving, always blaming the manager? Maybe in the long run it was better they left even if it made the squad weaker in the short term? All clubs have had to deal with such issues. I'm sure Kettlewell didn't solely make those decisions, I reckon it was group-think and Ferguson & Macgregor may well have been part of it. 

I wouldn't be suprised to see County finish top 6, even this season, though I am seriously doubting now! Hehe, but to expect that as a natural outcome, natural order all because of training facilites and a little more money than the rivals, no. Too early to be calling for the manager's head, will wait till January and reckon even, even if a bad series of results we still won't be bottom of the table. Not happening this season. 

What are you even writing

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

The is a reason why County shopped ICT players, season after season, not to weaken them but there wasn't much options elsewhere. 

There are many points to pick at in your post, but I'll just go to this one. 

We go across the bridge as it is the easy option. Our scouting network is non-existent. 

We seem to always go for this line that players won't move to the Highlands. True a lot of boys from the central belt won't fancy the move 170 mile North, so look elsewhere. Look at the success Caley had signing lads from the English Conference. They are more than happy making the move, gets them in the shop window if they perform at a decent standard. 

Roy has a decision to make, we've played three games more than St Mirren, and two more than Hamilton. We're bang in trouble. I think he will see what happens against Livingston next weekend, then pull the trigger. My fear is if Ketts go, Ferguson takes charge. Neither are good enough. The Championship title win was an absolute slog. There weren't many games I left that season feeling thrilled with the football. 

Just watched the highlights from yesterday after the fourth game I refused to watch due to growing depression every time the team takes to the pitch. Albeit there were a couple of promising passages of play in the second half, we were nowhere near as aggressive or organised as we have to be to beat a decent team like United. Tactically and motivation wise, we looked confused and overcomplicated, with players often looking for others to be in areas where they would be left exposed on the inevitable counter attack. Sadly I don’t think Kettlewell has anywhere near the brains or smarts to see this and make the necessary changes. We need a change to a manager who can motivate the boys and play a high-tempo, pressing attacking style of play which would see us dominate the midfield and use our obvious talent up front.

Also chuckled to myself Yesterday when reading Ketts interview in the P&J. Seems to think we are capable of Top 6 this season. Surely he can’t be that blinkered?! Top 6 in League 1 at a push is all this team can manage under this leadership.

In fairness, the one goal County did score was a pretty decent piece of play.  Those wee through balls that all of our other strikers are too slow to read, and that Alex Schalk used to thrive upon.  Might be the first glimpse of the proper Oli Shaw that we've had.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

In fairness, the one goal County did score was a pretty decent piece of play.  Those wee through balls that all of our other strikers are too slow to read, and that Alex Schalk used to thrive upon.  Might be the first glimpse of the proper Oli Shaw that we've had.

Imagine that not battering aimless long balls at him might pay off.

Guest Ieuan16
18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

No surprise that it was Lakin who provided the pass. He's been excellent since joining.

Starting him on the left was a complete waste of his ability.

First time he’s received a ball facing the oppositions goal that isn’t 12ft in the air. Boy deserves a run in the team, works his socks off whenever he gets a chance.

All joking aside and in the interests of highland football as a whole, I'm not a little perturbed to see this unravelling at such a pace.

My information is that D Cowie will be invited to step up but I wondered if there is an option that has hitherto been beyond our gaze?

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Watch the one against Selik, you’ll splooge.

I missed that game due to it clashing with a My Bloody Valentine gig. Watching the game in a pub full of Celtic fans was a good laugh though.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Hamilton look like they might run away with the automatic relegation spot.    They're pretty dreadful.  

That's my hopes, we've hopefully found this season's fall guys, and it's not us. 

Just noticed that we're only 1 point of sixth place, how did that happen. 

Predictions for tonight? Could either be a comfortable 3-0 or a very nervy 1-1 with the way things have been going recently. I want to see more of that midfield three of Lakin, Kelly and Paton, and ideally swap Shaw and Stewart's positions around.

12 hours ago, Aqy said:

Predictions for tonight? Could either be a comfortable 3-0 or a very nervy 1-1 with the way things have been going recently. I want to see more of that midfield three of Lakin, Kelly and Paton, and ideally swap Shaw and Stewart's positions around.

Well i think you got a lot of what you wanted there. Seems like a good run out for the squad. I would have liked McKay to get on the score sheet too but going by the twitter feed he linked up well, just needs to get one in.