The General Ross County Chat Thread

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Awrite guys?

Looking for your opinion on Sean Kelly, who we've just signed. Says he's a left sided defender but has he ever played on the right?

Should stroll that level, was probably our best full back last season. Decent cross on him, isn't blessed with pace though so can sometimes get caught on the counter. I wouldn't consider him an option at right back as I've never seen him use his right foot. No offence but I'm surprised he never got a club at a higher level.

16 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Awrite guys?

Looking for your opinion on Sean Kelly, who we've just signed. Says he's a left sided defender but has he ever played on the right?

God no.

A really good signing for your level.  He's an attacking left back.  Came on to a game for County, but struggled with injury and consistency.  Has a tendency to be a bit flakey, but did a passable job in the top flight.  He's about 6 ft 3 but he's awful in the air.  Do not, under any circumstances, play him at centre back.  I'd be pretty happy if I were a Falkirk fan.  

I can guarantee you he won't be playing on the right, though.

46 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Awrite guys?

If he's kept his fitness, he'll take the piss.

He's got a sweet left foot, is decent on the ball and isn't as slow as you'd expect someone his size to be. He is however, not overly strong and utterly crap in the air. I'd still have him at County, if given the choice. He's considerably better overall than Tremarco.

EDIT: If the ball bounces in front of him in the box he absolutely craps himself.

Edited by Comrie

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Awrite guys?

Very good signing for league one surprised he didn’t join a Hamilton or st mirren , in hindsight would definitely have kept him rather than bring in tremarco , wouldn’t consider him at all for right back tbh though

In other news this weekends away fixture is the first I won't be buying this season, for my sanity more than anything else to be honest.

Conceding 5 to Celtic, 4 to Motherwell, 3 to Aberdeen and Montrose. It's fairly stinking.

Our league position is mental though, How are we that high up the table?😂

16 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

In other news this weekends away fixture is the first I won't be buying this season, for my sanity more than anything else to be honest.

Conceding 5 to Celtic, 4 to Motherwell, 3 to Aberdeen and Montrose. It's fairly stinking.

Our league position is mental though, How are we that high up the table?😂

As I said on the Motherwell match thread, you seem to have this uncanny knack of losing every week, but never slipping down the table as the 3 or 4 clubs below you always cut each others throats.  The same thing happened last season too, think you won 3 or the first 4 games and sort of hovered in 8th/9th despite losing most weeks,

Guest Ieuan16

How relieved are we all that we somehow collected maximum points in the opening two league games? One win in the last ten games is shocking form.

This team needs some major surgery carried out on it. If Kettlewell can't see that, then we'll be down this season.

Iain Vigurs, as we all know, needs dropped. Yet again today he gifts the opposition a goal and then acquires another yellow card for his ever-growing collection for protesting another goal. His decline has been so sad to see. It can't benefit the rest of the team to see your captain lose the head so often.

I hate to say it, as I used to be a big fan of his, but Ross Stewart is beginning to infuriate me. Where is he supposed to be playing? He drfits across the penalty box and wide areas looking to be an option in the air but, when he ultimately picks up the ball elsewhere, he's so far away from the box by the time a chance forms. He seems to want to be the one to create opportunities rather than get on the end of them himself.

Looking at the run of league fixtures we have coming up, we really need to beat Livingston at home prior to playing Killie, Rangers and Aberdeen.

I don't have any confidence in the defence to keep those sides out, nor do I have faith in this team creating chances to score, let alone actually finding the net. Well done to Ollie Shaw for proving today that it can be done from open play.

I'm worried about this County we're seeing right now.

It's pretty abysmal stuff. As has been mentioned, Vigurs is so far off the pace it's worrying. Came back to pre-season training overweight, and was given captaincy. 

I understand some get upset about the negativity surrounding County, but there are little to no positives at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

It’s the same posts time and again but when is Kettlewell getting shown the door? Nowhere near good enough recruitment or management. 

With the recruitment for all we know, maybe Kettlewell has a hand tied behind his back. Covid will bring down several clubs, I wouldn't assume County are safe, TV money or not. Josh Mullin was a strange one to let go, definitely. Maybe background issues, family issues, who knows.

I genuially think they will stay up regardless, 3rd bottom maybe but who cares in a mad season like this! Some County fans expect top 6, yet this season I will accept the club existing at the end of the season than spending money, sacking a manager when 8th in the league, then a new manager spending God knows how much signing other players. Not this season, get real!

6 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

It's pretty abysmal stuff. As has been mentioned, Vigurs is so far off the pace it's worrying. Came back to pre-season training overweight, and was given captaincy. 

I understand some get upset about the negativity surrounding County, but there are little to no positives at the moment. 

Positives, we are not Hamilton and not in relegation spot. Club needs to exist next season and not go gung-ho with sackings and team clear out. I have no idea why good players left, maybe they weren't happy, far away from families etc. We are in an OK position, winnable games on horizon, even if lost, unless in that last place I ain't panicking! 

With the recruitment for all we know, maybe Kettlewell has a hand tied behind his back. Covid will bring down several clubs, I wouldn't assume County are safe, TV money or not. Josh Mullin was a strange one to let go, definitely. Maybe background issues, family issues, who knows.
I genuially think they will stay up regardless, 3rd bottom maybe but who cares in a mad season like this! Some County fans expect top 6, yet this season I will accept the club existing at the end of the season than spending money, sacking a manager when 8th in the league, then a new manager spending God knows how much signing other players. Not this season, get real!

I’m sorry mate but this is an awful take.

Why can’t a club have ambition? We have a forward-thinking chairman, excellent training facilities and I would say a fairly capable squad. My personal opinion is that this squad is certainly good enough to avoid relegation and there is definitely a top six spot available, so why shouldn’t fans set that as a target because if everyone pulled their wait, as shown at this “wee village club” before, we can achieve top 6.

To say that Kettlewell may have had his hands tied is nonsense. He brought in a whole new defence this year as well as some other dossers. Roy has backed him every year he’s been here but ultimately his recruitment hasn’t been good enough. Don’t get me wrong i’m aware recruitment isn’t solely on him but he has (i’m assuming) final say on who signs and who doesn’t.

This has been a tough year for us all and we’re just looking for the players to show a bit of fight and a bit of hunger to win. I’m aware there are things more important than football but it’s means so much to us which is why we are all vocal because we all want the best for the club. Everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that with Kettlewell in charge we are starting down the barrel of a gun.

1 hour ago, Ieuan16 said:

Iain Vigurs, as we all know, needs dropped. Yet again today he gifts the opposition a goal and then acquires another yellow card for his ever-growing collection for protesting another goal.

When he was subbed on 66 minutes I thought he got through an appearance without being booked, I must have missed this!

Seven yellows from 12 league appearances is some going. As is six pens conceded in 13 for the team.

Guest Ieuan16
16 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

When he was subbed on 66 minutes I thought he got through an appearance without being booked, I must have missed this!

Seven yellows from 12 league appearances is some going. As is six pens conceded in 13 for the team.

The cameras caught the referee dishing one out to him just after the United players were finished celebrating.

It was a very brief showing and, as it was after the goal, you were probably screaming into a pillow at that point.