The General Ross County Chat Thread

19 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Erwin is a striker that you sub on when you’re 1-0 down against a team that you’re struggling to keep the ball against so you can just batter it up to him and he can hold it in. My only criticism of Ketts this season is the fact he persists on starting Erwin wide right when Mullin and RCC are on the bench.

In Kettlewell's 'Plan A', Erwin is the clear starter.  The front line sets more like a narrow 4-3-3 than a wide 4-5-1 (as the SPFL analysis twitter thread picked up on) with Stewart and Erwin holding the play and looking for the either the overlap from the FB's (Reid likes to go forward more than Randall atm, the exuberance of youth) or lay of backto Vigurs/Paton who then aime to spread the play.  I don't think Mullen is suited to that roll, in fact I would say he would be wasted playing like that.  I've not seen enough of Charles-Cook to say one way or the other atm.

I hope Ketts has a 'Plan B' in his pocket for times when with Stewart or Erwin don't start rather than try and force players into roles that they don't suit.

4 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

That's actually a good thread, I wonder how long it will take teams to figure the system out and try to counter it.

I'm interested in how Saints v County goes.

We also played a narrow front three...

20200801_200306.jpg.9b5f92628f2beb4b7c58d236e8208ecc.jpg

... in our last game. 

Not quite sure who'll come out on top there.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm interested in how Saints v County goes.

We also played a narrow front three...

20200801_200306.jpg.9b5f92628f2beb4b7c58d236e8208ecc.jpg

... in our last game. 

Not quite sure who'll come out on top there.

Do you have a back 3?  Looking at that it seems like the midfield battle will be the key factor in the games. Should be fun though.

My biggest concern about the current plan, is the lack of options on the bench. Mullin, Gardyne etc. don't do the same role that Erwin or Stewart does, and it leaves Shaw as our only striker on the bench. Unless we have another wonderkid lined up of course. But an injury or suspension to one of our forward three and that essentially rules that strategy out all together.

3 hours ago, Spain said:

My biggest concern about the current plan, is the lack of options on the bench. Mullin, Gardyne etc. don't do the same role that Erwin or Stewart does, and it leaves Shaw as our only striker on the bench. Unless we have another wonderkid lined up of course. But an injury or suspension to one of our forward three and that essentially rules that strategy out all together.

But we have, on paper at least, a squad that could conceivably play several different styles. The question is about Kettlewell's tactical flexibility a) in game and b) with reference to setting the team up to play vs different styles of opponents. As impressed as i have been so far, i dont think we are (or will ever be at this level) the kind of team who plays the same style regardless of opponent. 

8 hours ago, CountyFan said:

But we have, on paper at least, a squad that could conceivably play several different styles. The question is about Kettlewell's tactical flexibility a) in game and b) with reference to setting the team up to play vs different styles of opponents. As impressed as i have been so far, i dont think we are (or will ever be at this level) the kind of team who plays the same style regardless of opponent. 

I'm pretty certain that there's not a team in Scotland who do that, certainly not the Premiership. 

It's what I don't like about keeping a winning team exactly the same from one match to another, we did it from Motherwell to Hamilton but I hope we adjust slightly for the Killie game (if it's now allowed to proceed after these Boli revelations), as Killie pose a different nut to crack. 

I'd have Watson in at RB, Morris in for Iacovitti and Draper in for Tillson. Not because anyone needs to be dropped but i feel we'll be up against a far more physical opponent. 

3 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'm pretty certain that there's not a team in Scotland who do that, certainly not the Premiership. 

It's what I don't like about keeping a winning team exactly the same from one match to another, we did it from Motherwell to Hamilton but I hope we adjust slightly for the Killie game (if it's now allowed to proceed after these Boli revelations), as Killie pose a different nut to crack. 

I'd have Watson in at RB, Morris in for Iacovitti and Draper in for Tillson. Not because anyone needs to be dropped but i feel we'll be up against a far more physical opponent. 

I suspect the back four will remain the same except for injuries/lack of form from Reid.  Eventually, Draper will come in for Tillson because he’s a better player, but it won’t be until he’s 100% fit, which I am assuming he isn’t yet. From what I’ve seen, Iavocitti is better on the ball than Morris, so it’d be a different style of play if those two were swapped.  The thread linked to previously seems to have more than a grain of truth to it, self-important as it may be.

I wouldn't be dropping Tillson based on his first two weeks, looks a totally different player than last year. 

He’s been brilliant. Always looking to take the ball from the back 4 + keeper and play forward. Completely different player to Draper so you couldn’t possibly take him out for Draper.

15 hours ago, CountyFan said:

That's not necessarily what I'm meaning. For example, we could play a 4-4-2 in the next 9 league games, get back round to Hamilton & Motherwell again whereby Ketts has identified they're weak against that 4-3-3 setup, and we're too short on numbers to make it work. That's taking it to the extreme, but we're obviously looking to implement this tactic on an at least semi-regular basis.

7 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He’s been brilliant. Always looking to take the ball from the back 4 + keeper and play forward. Completely different player to Draper so you couldn’t possibly take him out for Draper.

I agree too, Tillson has been very good and imo he's more mobile than Draper but we're going to be up against a very different midfield when we play Killie, Dicker, Power and Tshibila are far more industrious than what we've played against so far, i believe Draper is the man best suited to complete in that midfield tussle (if he's fit). 

I expect Killie to play Burke and Brophy, if we can strangle their supply we can hopefully keep another clean sheet. 

Having thus far failed to secure a season ticket through my normal channels, I have just been on the club site to try and work out how to watch on Pay Per View basis tonight. I've registered with RCTV, but don't know where I go from there...? Clicked on the Killie game link and all it seems to have is a countdown to the program start - but no indication of how to sign up / pay to watch.

Anyone got any useful pointers?

48 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

Having thus far failed to secure a season ticket through my normal channels, I have just been on the club site to try and work out how to watch on Pay Per View basis tonight. I've registered with RCTV, but don't know where I go from there...? Clicked on the Killie game link and all it seems to have is a countdown to the program start - but no indication of how to sign up / pay to watch.

Anyone got any useful pointers?

https://ppv.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/

Register there - if you haven't already

Click on what looks like a video when you first log in.

Select the Purchase Game Pass button on the right hand side

Select the Event again.

Select the STRIPE text to access the payment gateway.

Fill in your card details and I guess checkout - not bought myself yet as don't know if I'll be able to watch it - so don't know the process past entering your card details.

Too many clicks for my liking - but I guess that is a criticism for the software authors rather than the club.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, donaldo said:

https://ppv.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/

Register there - if you haven't already

Click on what looks like a video when you first log in.

Select the Purchase Game Pass button on the right hand side

Select the Event again.

Select the STRIPE text to access the payment gateway.

Fill in your card details and I guess checkout - not bought myself yet as don't know if I'll be able to watch it - so don't know the process past entering your card details.

Too many clicks for my liking - but I guess that is a criticism for the software authors rather than the club.

Hope that helps.

That has indeed helped and I'm all set for tonight now - many thanks.

I'm still not clear how I would be meant to find it without you providing me the shortcut though. I can't see a link to PPV on the club home page, or on the RCTV page, or on the Tickets page... I'm clearly missing something?!

Edited by The Great Stagsby

9 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

That has indeed helped and I'm all set for tonight now - many thanks.

I'm still not clear how I would be meant to find it without you providing me the shortcut though. I can't see a link to PPV on the club home page, or on the RCTV page, or on the Tickets page... I'm clearly missing something?!

I think it was twitter I'd seen it, but it should be linked somewhere obvious. 

Is there a specific time window to log in by pre match? Just tried logging in just now and it won’t let me; is that because i’m logging on too early.

Apologies if this is a daft question just need help as I haven’t used the streaming service apart from the season preview yet this season.

22 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I agree too, Tillson has been very good and imo he's more mobile than Draper but we're going to be up against a very different midfield when we play Killie, Dicker, Power and Tshibila are far more industrious than what we've played against so far, i believe Draper is the man best suited to complete in that midfield tussle (if he's fit). 

I expect Killie to play Burke and Brophy, if we can strangle their supply we can hopefully keep another clean sheet. 

Team is very much closer to your selection than the XI from the first two games.