The General Ross County Chat Thread

30 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Positive start to the season , all new players did fine. Was surprised to see lacovitti start over Morris and Watson but he was decent , Erwin doesn’t really fit that wide striker role as well as Stewart does so I’d like to see him replaced by mullin or Charles cook for the next game , the midfield 3 did well and will need to keep doing so to keep the likes of draper and Kelly out the team, josh Reid was decent but having only him and tremarco makes me feel we are a little bit light in that position 

Iacovitti had a very good night, he looked like he'd been playing with us for years. If i remember correctly, it was reported that he can play left full back too. 

Think it’s a very good start to the season, i would of happily taken a draw but 3pts is great and Hamilton next is a very big game early on. As happy as I am though Motherwell were shocking and created very little and yet still should of had 3 goals. The defence although we had a clean sheet worries me. Largely untested and could of concede 3.

I think Ried was very good first half, obviously seadorf brought pace as Reid Tired but for a debut he did fine. Donaldson whilst going unnoticed did actually supply some very good balls forward and headers clear but did have a few mistakes. Lacovitti largely untested really and I wasn’t too impressed with Randal. Improvements to be made and I’d argue swapping Watson in for Lacovitti might provide a bit more solidity but that’s just my opinion.

RCC did look like some first game nerves despite having a very good pre-season. Can’t fault his effort and running for the team though.

Stewart, Paton and Vigs were a class above, a lot of English clubs watching that will be after Stewart now I’d imagine.

Anyway, great start, hopefully we can continue against Hamilton

Talking of English, please stop using the word "of" when you mean "have". Once in each of the first 3 sentences is just taking the piss. Also, it's Iacovitti. Not Lacovitti. Everywhere you've seen it's been a capital i not a lower case L.

6 hours ago, Spain said:

Talking of English, please stop using the word "of" when you mean "have". Once in each of the first 3 sentences is just taking the piss. Also, it's Iacovitti. Not Lacovitti. Everywhere you've seen it's been a capital i not a lower case L.

I of to agree,

and hope it's not felt as snobbish or elitist to spell accurately and use proper grammar.

Along with such oft-heard calamities as e.g. "he has went to tackle ..."; 

every "of" that should be a "have" turns me to face the vandalism of precious language and therefore the bleak futility of life itself. And I'd rather stay a happy Staggie.

40 minutes ago, Aqy said:

https://ppv.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk if you're wanting to get a ticket for today. £15, but I think it's on Alba at 6 if you can avoid hearing the result.

Good shout, I'll go for the radio in the garden, maybe record the Alba channel to watch it back. 

Noticed that it's the same statting XI as against Motherwell last week. 

Six points, two clean sheets. Could do with some more goals, but very chuffed with our performances so far. How much of that was Motherwell and Hamilton being pish? Maybe too early to tell. The stream was brutal, couldn't get it to stay above 404p and the website completely logged me out twice. Won't be paying the £15 to Hamilton again this season, that's for sure.

Six points, two clean sheets. Could do with some more goals, but very chuffed with our performances so far. How much of that was Motherwell and Hamilton being pish? Maybe too early to tell. The stream was brutal, couldn't get it to stay above 404p and the website completely logged me out twice. Won't be paying the £15 to Hamilton again this season, that's for sure.

Definitely agree about needing more goals but the pleasing thing is the team are creating a lot of chances so ultimately the goals will come.

We played through the midfield very well today and used the extra man in there. The back 4 looked sturdy and Reid was excellent again. I like the way Stewart is dropping deep to drive with the ball and thought he was good today, and a typical Billy Mckay finish after the keeper made a whoore of a cross.

You now look at our next couple of fixtures; Killie and United at home are winnable games so we are looking very positive.

Watched the game on Alba at 11ish last night, so may not have been giving it the fullest of attention but...

Ried looked solid again. Glad he looks like he's comfortable stepping up because I would worry if we had to put Tremarco in there. He's not afraid to put himself about either which for someone of 18 years old is encouraging. Not the fastest full back about, but positive signs and hopfully he can push on and make that spot his.

Best I've seen Vigurs play in a while, too. I was critical of him at the end of last season and was dubious of him being made captain but if he plays like that most weeks I'd have no complaints. Still prone to trying the hollywood pass every now and again but some nice touches, and I thought our midfield in general looked very much on top yesterday.

Some of our passing yesterday was good to watch. Worked the ball about pretty sharply at times and everyone looked keen to get the ball.

Overall I was pretty encouraged last night watching the game, think we have good balance and with decent depth on the bench too. Not getting too carried away, we haven't seen how the team responds to going a goal down yet, but definetly signs there that we can be positive about.

From the highlights, Paton looks a pretty essential part of the midfield, and Erwin looks wasted playing where he is.  

Erwin is a striker that you sub on when you’re 1-0 down against a team that you’re struggling to keep the ball against so you can just batter it up to him and he can hold it in. My only criticism of Ketts this season is the fact he persists on starting Erwin wide right when Mullin and RCC are on the bench.

44 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Erwin is a striker that you sub on when you’re 1-0 down against a team that you’re struggling to keep the ball against so you can just batter it up to him and he can hold it in. My only criticism of Ketts this season is the fact he persists on starting Erwin wide right when Mullin and RCC are on the bench.

My only thought is that he's trying to replicate what Stewart does, when he peels off on the wing then matches up for deep crosses against a full back rather than a centre back for a height advantage. It hasn't worked so far.

15 hours ago, Comrie said:

My only thought is that he's trying to replicate what Stewart does, when he peels off on the wing then matches up for deep crosses against a full back rather than a centre back for a height advantage. It hasn't worked so far.

There's a brief analysis on County, and their new set up, on Twitter just now, if you're into that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a brief analysis on County, and their new set up, on Twitter just now, if you're into that sort of thing.

That's actually a good thread, I wonder how long it will take teams to figure the system out and try to counter it.

Good thread. One thing I have noticed in our games that your man also picks up on is our distribution from the centre backs. I have been really impressed with how Coll and Iacovitti have used the ball this season; always looking for a forward pass and not just shelling it up the line.