The General Ross County Chat Thread

13 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Good news, he's a decent central defender, any idea of the length of the new deal? 

I’m kind of surprised that I feel that way as well.  Wasn’t really a big fan of his prior to him signing, but he’s been as steady as we’ve had at the back since then.  I’m very keen for them to boost the back line, still, though.

18 hours ago, Comrie said:

If you play him at RB, he'd do a job. At centre half, I'd plonk Ross Stewart on him and just pepper the box with crosses. He'd basically get free headers every time.

My mistake. For some reason, I thought that he was primarily a CH.

Ryan Flynn has been playing at RB, up until his injury, and has been excellent. Although, he may be deployed in midfield, if he re-signs, which seems to be on the cards.

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m kind of surprised that I feel that way as well.  Wasn’t really a big fan of his prior to him signing, but he’s been as steady as we’ve had at the back since then.  I’m very keen for them to boost the back line, still, though.

I'm not sure we need a boost, I think Morris, Donaldson and Grivosti are decent options. They just need to stay fit. And Fontaine needs to be nowhere near the first team unless it's an emergency. 

ETA we obviously need a boost at full back. 

Edited by CountyFan

It has felt like Kettlewell has been the de facto manager for a while now. I don't have too many complaints about the co-manager era. After the state McIntyre and Coyle left us in, we could have easily disappeared into the seaside league abyss like some supposedly bigger clubs have. The football wasn't the prettiest in the Championship, but they dug out results when we needed them and got promoted without much fuss. Last season wasn't so good, we were probably looking at finishing 11th or 12th before COVID-19 came to the rescue. Unlucky Hearts.

I'm assuming Cowie has quietly retired? Hopefully the club can get some sort of testimonial match arranged once things are back to normal, he certainly deserves it.

Next season is going to be a huge one for Kettlewell.

Big intake of players required, even if the budget is reduced and we're going to have to rely on youth more. Anticipating next season may be a struggle.

I can only echo what most are saying above.  These are positive moves by the club.

Fergie as CEO makes sense he's a very capable guy who the board obviously trust and knows the club and the area well.  In his position it's about club/business stability in these times and future development, I think he's a good choice.

Ketts as head coach isn't a surprise, it'll be interesting how the team line up under him.  As others above have said it's a huge task (for anyone tbh) and he's going to have to have a few fall back plans to go to, as plans A & B won't always work and we're going to have to surprise a few opponents.

With Brittain & Cowie supporting Ketts as assistant and coach it gives a good structure and something similar to the old Liverpool bootroom feeling, hopefully we get continuity and success from it.

I sometimes work with an ex County defender and he says Ferguson basically has a job for life at County if he wants it. He’s McGregor’s main man apparently.

15 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

What’s the craic with Fontaine. He seems to be airbrushed out of everything?

I thought he was another that had an expired contract. I could see him leaving or being offered another year. Unsure what the club will do with him.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I sometimes work with an ex County defender and he says Ferguson basically has a job for life at County if he wants it. He’s McGregor’s main man apparently.

There's nothing apparent about it tbh, from what I've seen Ferguson is VERY good, and he has the full backing of MacGregor and the rest of the board. 

I've met him a few times away from Ross County events and he genuinely seems a good guy, let's hope he's a successful good guy. 

19 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

What’s the craic with Fontaine. He seems to be airbrushed out of everything?

Fontaine and Cowie were coaching the youth lads, not sure which age group, but are funds to continue those youth teams still available, are the youth leagues still running? 

What I took from the co-management was that Fergie was the more behind the scenes manager anyway. I reckon he had a big say in terms of tactics and personnel, but apart from that Ketts tended to take charge in things like Pre/Post match interviews and even in the dugout he’d generally be the one shouting commands. I think if Ketts becomes stuck he’ll go to Fergie for help so I generally don’t think there’s going to be that much of a change in that respect apart from the promotion of RB and Don’s addition to the Matchday staff.