The General Ross County Chat Thread

Sorry, aye, I'd somehow forgotten about Grivo who I rate quite highly. Know he's been struggling with injury this season but I'd want him to start alongside either Morris or Donaldson next season.

Donaldson is 25 so is slowly approaching his prime years, and Grivo is only 20 so has plenty of time to mould into a top-six centre half. Bleeding them in now would be excellent as they could be a strong pairing in 3-4 years time if we consistently selected those two whenever available.

Ideally, you have Kelly and Foster on the outside of those two - a strong back 4. However, they’re not going to leave Marcus Fraser out to dry but I can only assume they’re trying to bring at least 2 full backs in now.

Marcus Fraser has left the building......

Good servant to the club but ultimately lost his spark and was probably the right time for him to leave. Looked a player shot of confidence majority of this season. Did a lot for us and can’t take anything away from him though. Good luck to the lad.

Stuck with us as club captain when we got relegated and was part of the league cup winning team, hope he goes on to do well elsewhere. Last three years he has been poor and almost scared to get involved at times, and when he did get involved he was hoofing the ball up the park. Can see him signing for someone like St Mirren.

A few defenders away now then. Wonder if Jason Naismith would be tempted back on loan?

By all accounts he had a good season at Hibs, so I imagine they’ll probably be back in for him.

Short answer is not a chance will we resign him, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Vastly overrated 

That’s a bit harsh imo. On his game he was a good attacking full back. Scored a few good goals from runs into the box. Something happened the season we were relegated, loss of  confidence or whatever his form slumped and he never regained it. I don’t think the captaincy suited him, maybe that contributed to his slump. I’m not sad to see him go for that reason, but there’s a decent player there somewhere if somebody can coax it out of him.

wish him all the best.

I'm more disappointed with Foster and Kelly leaving than Fraser. 

Never, ever thought I'd say that about Sean Kelly but he'd really come on this season (plus he won the fifa20 Cup competition for Ross County last Sunday, surely that's deserving of a 1 year deal) 

On 05/06/2020 at 16:57, Staggie52 said:

That’s a bit harsh imo. On his game he was a good attacking full back. Scored a few good goals from runs into the box. Something happened the season we were relegated, loss of  confidence or whatever his form slumped and he never regained it. I don’t think the captaincy suited him, maybe that contributed to his slump. I’m not sad to see him go for that reason, but there’s a decent player there somewhere if somebody can coax it out of him.

wish him all the best.

He's never recovered from that horrific season at centre half, where people figured out quickly that although decent with the ball on the deck, he's far too easily bullied by any striker willing to compete.  Over the piece he did more good for us than bad and it's a shame to see him go, but if he joins another SPFL side to me he'd be a weak link for our wide players to attack.

Edited by Comrie

49 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Glad Watson has managed to keep fit, I liked him at Saints,  injuries fucked that though.

He reads the game well and has been good for us. For some inexplicable reason he's found himself on the bench behind a bombscare Liam Fontaine, this last season. 

Keith Watson has been remarkably consistent since he signed.  Perfectly happy for him to be part of the squad.  Morris has been alright too.  But we’ll eventually need to improve on both of them.  

The Liam Fontaine thing may be based on him being a very good bloke.  It certainly isn’t based on him being a very good defender.

Fraser was a good servant.  I think he’ll get a gig for Hamilton or St Mirren.

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Glad Watson has managed to keep fit, I liked him at Saints,  injuries fucked that though.

He's the best shot blocker I've seen in a County shirt. Reads where players are going to hit it very quickly. He's definitely lost a yard of pace with his injury issues.

28 minutes ago, Comrie said:

He's the best shot blocker I've seen in a County shirt. Reads where players are going to hit it very quickly. He's definitely lost a yard of pace with his injury issues.

The two things are probably linked.

Last time he played for us he got absolutely obliterated by Miles Storey, who simply papped the ball 10 yards past him and chased it.

Glad to see hes recovered from that, always seemed a really nice guy and his luck with injuries is just horrendous.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Keith Watson has been remarkably consistent since he signed.  Perfectly happy for him to be part of the squad.  Morris has been alright too.  But we’ll eventually need to improve on both of them.  

The Liam Fontaine thing may be based on him being a very good bloke.  It certainly isn’t based on him being a very good defender.

Fraser was a good servant.  I think he’ll get a gig for Hamilton or St Mirren.

If Fraser is easily bullied off the ball, I doubt that Goodwin will be signing him.*

He likes good "old fashioned" CH's that take no prisoners.

*Expect Fraser to sign for us in the near future.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

If Fraser is easily bullied off the ball, I doubt that Goodwin will be signing him.*

He likes good "old fashioned" CH's that take no prisoners.

*Expect Fraser to sign for us in the near future.:rolleyes:

If you play him at RB, he'd do a job. At centre half, I'd plonk Ross Stewart on him and just pepper the box with crosses. He'd basically get free headers every time.