The General Ross County Chat Thread

Obviously we all (including management and players) want to finish as high as possible. I don't think there's evidence that anyone lacks ambition.
Are we really a better team than the majority in the bottom 6? Several of them have excellent managers e.g. St. Johnstone & St Mirren.  I think we might achieve a 9th place finish but am not putting any money on it.

Seems to me Ross County are a decent Championship side making heavy weather of being in the Premiership. Which is what you’d expect. We’ve added two or complementary players plus Donaldson, but it’s the bulk of the Championship winning squad.

There’s a huge difference between the Championship and the Premiership, cup games be dammed.

If they stay up, they’ll improve a couple of other poisons - keeper, fullback, wing - and more likely do better. This season is purely about staying up.

Agree for the most part with what most here are saying, I think we can all agree that a) the ‘style’ of football is guff to watch. b) we recruited poorly not signing a winger in particular and kept a championship squad when improvements were needed. C) we could be doing better but could be doing a lot worse.

I don’t think swapping managers now will be helpful with no window for a new gaffer to craft his own squad. But i definitely think we should have a plan in place for who we want to bring in instantly if we do change in before or during summer. Who?

We can all look and admire what livi are doing on a shoe string budget and say why can’t we do that but that is so rare that we can’t expect to replicate it every season. I get you can’t have a negative mindset and small ambition but there has to be some realism involved also.

If we can grind out a 9th / 10th finish then I’d say we achieved what we needed to this season and look to improve that over summer. Our form isn’t great but need to look at the positives imo

I’d keep the managers in place they’ve done fine the only gripe I have is not signing a winger in the window although Stewart and gardyne returning could ease that situation , they are rotating the squad well when players are performing poorly in what is a tough league where I’d imagine we have one of the smallest budgets

I see our co-managers inistence on wasting Stewart on the wing at Mullin's expense early on during the season has fooled numerous people into believing he's actually genuinely a winger. And a left-sided one at that. He's absolutely not. We have two wingers (both right sided incidentally) - Mullin & Gardyne. And with Gardyne being unlikely to be back before the split there is simply no defending the dereliction of duty that was failing to bring in another winger.

On 19/02/2020 at 16:07, Rcfc fan said:

I’d keep the managers in place they’ve done fine the only gripe I have is not signing a winger in the window although Stewart and gardyne returning could ease that situation , they are rotating the squad well when players are performing poorly in what is a tough league where I’d imagine we have one of the smallest budgets

Interestingly enough, I have it on very good authority that we have a budget well within the Top 6, and has even rivalled that of the fourth placed club a few seasons back.

Make of that what you will.....

1 hour ago, stagdhu said:

Interestingly enough, I have it on very good authority that we have a budget well within the Top 6, and has even rivalled that of the fourth placed club a few seasons back.

Make of that what you will.....

I think out budget has been clipped compared to the free spending days of Adams, McIntyre and Coyle. It's just not sustainable.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

I think out budget has been clipped compared to the free spending days of Adams, McIntyre and Coyle. It's just not sustainable.

By most accounts you spent just shy of £200k on transfer fees alone in January. That to add to the £5m worth of losses, without a single year of profit, you've accumulated in the last 6 years, before the latest accounts are added.

But yes, Ross County are no longer spending beyond their means.

Edited by RandomGuy.

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

By most accounts you spent just shy of £200k on transfer fees alone in January. That to add to the £5m worth of losses, without a single year of profit, you've accumulated in the last 6 years, before the latest accounts are added.

But yes, Ross County are no longer spending beyond their means.

Things took a weird turn after you posted this.

Lesson: don't cast aspersions on County's financial prudence.

If the bottom six stays as it is, we would be due home games against Killie and Hearts with away games against Hamilton, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Which means we will be getting the unlucky 18/20 split of home to away games.

• 3 weeks later...

If there is no sign of this outbreaks relentless march across europe slowing down in the coming weeks then I personally think the season should be stopped with no more football played until next season. Peoples lives are far more important. There are people out there who will I am sure make greater sacrifices than those who may not receive a medal for coming first or getting relagated.

Edited by silver

I think if it comes to it, they should stop the season as is and have Celtic and Dundee Utd as champions, with the usual divisions for the European spots. Stops the inevitable but justified cries from their supporters or indeed wider footballing community and should set a precedent should similar events occur in the future. 

With regards to relegation, just don’t have it. Keep all teams in the Premiership as is, and add Dundee United. Then, when virus permits, have a playoff with the teams who currently sit in the Championship playoff spaces and the winner gets promoted, making for a 14 team league next season. Balance the leagues by promoting an extra side from both the Highland and Lowland leagues into League 2 and shuffle the rest to suit

Have also heard suggestions of promoting the top four from the Championship, creating a perhaps permanent 16 team league from here on in. Sounds great in principle, should certainly add some more excitement and intrigue to the league, but what will happen with the gap that creates in the Championship? Lineage the three lower leagues into two and supplement with some HL/LL/Junior sides??

I think if it comes to it, they should stop the season as is and have Celtic and Dundee Utd as champions, with the usual divisions for the European spots. Stops the inevitable but justified cries from their supporters or indeed wider footballing community and should set a precedent should similar events occur in the future. 
With regards to relegation, just don’t have it. Keep all teams in the Premiership as is, and add Dundee United. Then, when virus permits, have a playoff with the teams who currently sit in the Championship playoff spaces and the winner gets promoted, making for a 14 team league next season. Balance the leagues by promoting an extra side from both the Highland and Lowland leagues into League 2 and shuffle the rest to suit

You can’t just end the season on assumption, it isn’t mathematically over. You either have to void the season or carry it on once all this is finished.
Imo it’s a great chance to expand the league and transfer to summer football

9 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

You can’t just end the season on assumption, it isn’t mathematically over. You either have to void the season or carry it on once all this is finished.
Imo it’s a great chance to expand the league and transfer to summer football

The SPFL/SFA can do what they think is best, there’s nothing to stop them at the moment. Whichever course they decide on there will be fans and clubs that are unhappy. They control Scottish football and they take the decisions.

They could halt the league as it is and decide the latest position is the final. They could work out points per match played and decide final places on that basis. They could do promotion and relegation on either of these situations although play-offs would be difficult. 

They could  void the league, expand or contract leagues, continue the competitions at a later date, change to summer football. The reality is we have no idea what they will do because they don’t know what will happen. Can we play again within 3 months, 6 months etc, we just don’t know. Even if they make a decision just now they might be overtaken by events. 

it’s a bugger right enough....

Zero debt yet again. Tough one to take for the ICT spiceboys on Twitter who are convinced that County are the SPFL team teetering on the brink due to Covid 19.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/parent-firm-helps-keep-ross-county-debt-free-193797/